Script/screenwriting

Started by martialgodmask, June 30, 2012, 07:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martialgodmask

Anyone dabbled in writing screen? I've got no formal background in it, but am currently working on something and was just wondering what experiences, difficulties etc. people who have done something like this have come across or up against?

I've tried writing short stories before but I have a tendency to visualise my ideas as a screen production rather than as a novel or extended prose, so am attempting to adapt how I write to a more script style. If anyone here has done this, any tips would be appreciated.

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

martialgodmask

Strömkarlen

Quote from: martialgodmask on June 30, 2012, 07:30:15 PM
If anyone here has done this, any tips would be appreciated.

Keep your visual ideas out of the script if they are not essential for the story. This may sound strange but I get really annoyed when I read scripts (and I do read a lot of them) and there are all these directors notes in the script. "The camera pans toward the arse" sort of things. They usually have nothing to do with the story and just shows one of two things: 1. the writer wants to direct or 2. the writer don't thinks story is good enough so it needs "spicing up".

For tips. Focus, focus, focus on the story. There have also been way to many Tarantino-influenced-let's-rip-some-old-movie-no-one-seen scripts around. Believe me they have been seen and people do remember. So stick to stories you can relate to yourself. No matter if it is a total fantasy or a Ken Loachy realism about your mates. 

Other than that just go for it. The film business can be fun but it also a magnet for self serving pompous assholes that seems to think it is their mission in life to tell everybody else they suck. Well, It's only a movie.

Oh, and stupid little thing that might help. If your writing a feature script make sure it is in the right format and between 80 and 100 pages long. People actually holds the scripts in their hands and weights them. "No, it is only 65 pages... so no it is not interesting."

martialgodmask

Quote from: Strömkarlen on July 04, 2012, 01:14:24 PM
Quote from: martialgodmask on June 30, 2012, 07:30:15 PM
If anyone here has done this, any tips would be appreciated.

Keep your visual ideas out of the script if they are not essential for the story. This may sound strange but I get really annoyed when I read scripts (and I do read a lot of them) and there are all these directors notes in the script. "The camera pans toward the arse" sort of things. They usually have nothing to do with the story and just shows one of two things: 1. the writer wants to direct or 2. the writer don't thinks story is good enough so it needs "spicing up".

For tips. Focus, focus, focus on the story. There have also been way to many Tarantino-influenced-let's-rip-some-old-movie-no-one-seen scripts around. Believe me they have been seen and people do remember. So stick to stories you can relate to yourself. No matter if it is a total fantasy or a Ken Loachy realism about your mates. 

Other than that just go for it. The film business can be fun but it also a magnet for self serving pompous assholes that seems to think it is their mission in life to tell everybody else they suck. Well, It's only a movie.

Oh, and stupid little thing that might help. If your writing a feature script make sure it is in the right format and between 80 and 100 pages long. People actually holds the scripts in their hands and weights them. "No, it is only 65 pages... so no it is not interesting."

Thank you, much appreciated. I've come across a couple of sites saying about not being directorial and about the format thing so will definitely keep that in mind. Certainly not doing it out of self-servitude! I just....get ideas, and like to write them down I guess but generally like I said before I think of stories in movie terms so thought I'd try a different tactic to get it written down as I seem to have given up on "just writing" previously.

Strömkarlen

Robert McKee in just over a minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVVzR8zIvoA