CRONENBERG's Cosmopolis

Started by ImpulsyStetoskopu, June 25, 2012, 12:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Yesterday I saw this great movie. One of the best in the last years, with LYNCH's INLAND EMPIRE describe reality our time, what is important, Cronenberg used many movie quotes from mentioned Lynch's work. Interesting oryginal soundtrack. Very, very complicated but extremally good film... Recommended.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: theotherjohn on June 25, 2012, 05:14:19 PM
Other than the last scene in the film I thought it was completely awful.

Because?

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: theotherjohn on June 25, 2012, 05:54:45 PM
Short and bitchy review here: http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=83.msg19008#msg19008

I'll admit first of all that I haven't read the novel it's adapted from so I can only judge the film on its own merits (even so I don't see myself rushing to read the book after this). As a film however I found it overly labored, the performances uncompelling, the atmosphere off-putting (the rear projection technique used for the exteriors in the car windows immediately turned me off and as half of the film is set within its confines I found nearly all these scenes frustrating and hard to take seriously) and unnecessarily dragged out as a plot for an end scene that didn't fulfil the journey. I didn't care for the story itself either - the whole "getting a haircut" objective was a bit too "Rosebud" for my liking too and I found it difficult to measure wealth merely by someone having a few computer screens in a limo...

Just my opinion. I'd be interested to see if others have seen it though and can join in with their thoughts?

I didn't read that novel too. I don't think so if it is necessary. I have different opinion, all scenes didn't frustrate me, what's more, all of that were very interesting, and were seriously, at least I saw in them a tale about man, main character. Besides, this movie is very interesting due to used many quotes from other works. Anyway I respect your point though I have different opinion.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: theotherjohn on June 25, 2012, 06:24:36 PM
Did you watch it with subtitles?

Yes, of course.

Quote from: theotherjohn on June 25, 2012, 06:24:36 PM
it considering almost all the characters' lack of emotions

I guess it was planned. The main character wanted to change it when he shot in his hand to feel physical pain, for example. But I liked watching it too. I can see people who didn't like it because atmosphere was cold, hard and complicated actually. Anyway, this atmosphere was/is very close to my personality and maybe this was reason that I liked this film very much.

Taking no account of this topic, what was very frustrating for me, at cinema were only 5 people (including me and my wife), Sunday, 5 p.m., very big, commercial cinema. Fucking, stupid society...

ConcreteMascara

I'm interested to see it. I liked everything Cronenberg did in some way until after Naked Lunch, but since then he's gotten increasingly worse. I found A History of Violence and Eastern Promises unbearable. Didn't see A Dangerous Method, but I'm hoping Cosmopolis will re-capture some of that former glory.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

I liked Eastern Promises a little more than A History... & didn't know he's had 2 movies out recently. Will have to look up A Dangerous Method. I really, really wish a nice dvd/blu-ray company would do special editions for Shivers and Rabid!

ConcreteMascara

I actually got a nice Japanese laserdisc edition of Rabid a couple months ago. Very nice picture but it's letterboxed, like a lot of horror laserdiscs.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512