New machinery at GZ

Started by Strömkarlen, March 10, 2010, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strömkarlen

Could someone tell me if this is good, bad or just plain evil? Text like these tend to be gibberish to me but lines like "But most importantly! FEEDBACK RECORDING!" sparked my interest. I guess that they are investing in new equiment is a good sign.

New vinyl mastering

Direct two-way communication between the computer and the cutting lathe!
Optimal utilization of your vinyl record!
Mechanical values and groove geometric size indicators!
Virtual mastering with the results visualisation!
But most importantly! FEEDBACK RECORDING!

Our customers already know that vinyl isn't standing still at GZ. Development is a natural part of our work in this field.

New mastering of vinyl records using modified NEUMANN cutting lathe, a top-quality PrismSound converter and a specially developed computer application which provides a modulation and control signal, sets all cutting parameters and monitors the equipment for immediate as well as subsequent analysis.

The possibilities presented by this combination can be compared to the transition from taking photographs on film to using digital photography. Before pressing the shutter-release on a camera you usually have to set various mutually-opposing parameters (aperture, shutter-speed, sensitivity, focus, etc.). If these are set correctly the result is a nice sharp picture. Incorrect setting leads to blurred, dark or over-exposed shots. In the case of photos on film the result of the process is known for sure after the film is developed and the prints are made. The electronics of a digital camera are able to evaluate a scene according to a given setting and show the result on the display. Before the shutter-release is pressed the camera warns us that the result will probably not be good.

The new vinyl mastering is based on a similar principle. Prior to mastering is started, a computer application analyses the audio data and creates a virtual groove in the computer's memory in the same way as the cutting lathe. It is therefore possible to know in advance the space required and all critical passages which cannot be recorded or later played back without distinct distortion. The computer application also allows the original signal to be adapted to remove only the undesirable elements of the signal which are causing the distortion.

Setting the recording parameters and correcting the signal usually means a compromise between loudness and distortion. The new method of mastering enables the optimal utilization of vinyl recording to its theoretical limit in minimizing the audible difference between the original and the master.

At GZ we know that you deserve better quality sound than ever before, and you'll have it!

bogskaggmannen

I always thought the DMM technique at GZ was good and silent anyway so I don't really understand this - feels more of a need to make themselves visible when many are trying other plants in Europe?

FreakAnimalFinland

It may sound at first horror, why there is computer and digital process in cutting vinyl? And why not analogue sound for analogue format? But I would guess, the times of analogue vinyl cutting in most of places ended decade ago or more. I have toyed with idea of full analogue release. Record on tape, master on tape, send that to pressing plant. But I would think it is just unrealistic dream now.
Even if you don't send CDR of uploads digitally recorded file to plant, it probably will go through computer controlled digital devices anyways..  Material is digitalized at some point, you want it or not.
This small change probably just helps them. I mean, considering the type of stuff people press now, it can be expected that you have perfectly normal rock'n'roll record and suddenly at some random point sample of nuclear explosion comes 10 times higher. Something totally unexpected thing.. computer checking out upcoming changed in frequencies, volumes etc. I guess can be better, than running things on default standards with perhaps something ruining things. Like slightly more advance CD players with scan spotting the maximum volume peak so you can adjust the disc for your desired playback, without having to think some random BANG will rip your head of.
I got couple new vinyl in GZ at the moment. We'll see if there seems to be any changes.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bogskaggmannen

I guess you are right Mikko. For example Duophonic already uses those kind of things so maybe it's just a bit of update for GZ mostly intended to easy the process for themselves.

From Duophonics homepage:
"Our mastering studio is equiped with a Neumann VMS70 Mastering Lathe. This Lathe was completly modified by Wilson Audio in 1993 to meet the requirements of modern music.
Stan Ricker from Acoustic Sounds had cut some of his famous lacquers on this unique setting."