sotos

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 04, 2010, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Grimpin on January 01, 2023, 04:02:20 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 31, 2022, 07:11:09 PM
The only real complaint that I have about the book (I love the writing, his style is genius) is the cover art.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  It seems to lack the crude cut-up-ness of the collages included in the book, more digital-looking than anything.

Yeah thought the same when I first saw it as advertised for pre-sale - some half-arsed photoshop job, almost a Sotos parody - but it's warmed on me a bit seeing it in physical reality. I prefer the brute simplicity of covers like the Creation-published Index, and especially the Void-published Comfort and Critique, and of course the Jim Goad published Total Abuse compendium (I dread to think the source). And The Collected Peter Sotos covers are fantastic too. It seemed to go downhill a bit, cover-wise, with Nine Banded Books... see: Ingratitude for a particularly dire job.. Though I love the Nine Banded Books re-issued Mine cover, one of the best!

I'm never usually that bothered about book cover art, at all, but when I'm effectively crippling my bank balance for a book it's at least worth thinking about..

I really like the simple covers too, personally---especially the hardback version of Pure Filth and the volumes of collected works.  If Missed.  Better still. had a scan of a physical collage of the same materials for the cover rather than what appears to be a digital collage, then I would like it more.  Never mind the lack of a summary or anything on the back.

cantle

Given it was a reprint and I own most of what is in it already I passed on thios one... from the recent comments here that sounds like a good decision

theotherjohn

I suspect that Best had his reasons for pricing it high but I hope it doesn't continue as a pattern, otherwise it'll be like the Creation Books ltd editions fiasco all over again...

Dodgson

Damn, I completely missed out on "Missed". Are any copies still available anywhere? Do dm me if you want :)

theotherjohn

Try asking Chip at Nine Banded Books as he might get some spare copies, it was listed in the Future Releases section on his website.

absurdexposition

Worth checking 9BB if it was listed there, but AS and 9BB have had upcoming titles cross over to one or the other by time of publication in the past, so the mention of it forthcoming might just be old news before AS picked it up if that's the case.

There was no wholesale as per Sotos' request, so it won't be popping up in any distros.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 06, 2023, 05:04:25 AM
There was no wholesale as per Sotos' request, so it won't be popping up in any distros.

I've always wondered whether the limited editions of his books was due to the lack of a market for them or deliberate to make them more rare.  Does this mean that Sotos purposely limits the publication runs/distribution?

re:evolution

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 06, 2023, 05:56:53 AM

I've always wondered whether the limited editions of his books was due to the lack of a market for them or deliberate to make them more rare.  Does this mean that Sotos purposely limits the publication runs/distribution?

Personally I would have thought it related to 'flying under the radar' where fanatics can get the books, but also avoids a glut of extra copies floating around getting into the hands of the easily 'offended'. No idea of the truth of that though. Only a thought of mine.
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

That is what he told several years ago. Couple emails were sent back and forth. Due people asking his books all the time (including this one), I mentioned to him why not bigger print run like in old days (Creation books), so stuff could be distributed wider. He has no interest for wider distribution due reasons re:evolution mentions above. I think when you miss one book, you know that in future one must be following news as it is likely you'll have to do direct order from publisher, in advance. That's the only way.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

As frustrating as that might be, it does make some sense.  I still don't see why that would necessarily mean that periodic, limited reprints shouldn't happen, though.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: re:evolution on January 06, 2023, 08:30:36 AM

Personally I would have thought it related to 'flying under the radar' where fanatics can get the books, but also avoids a glut of extra copies floating around getting into the hands of the easily 'offended'. No idea of the truth of that though. Only a thought of mine.

Thinking about it more, would it really damage his, I guess, artistic integrity to get a wider distribution/produce higher print runs at this point?  Thanks to the Internet, the most shocking details of his writing are widely available, and anyone can quickly discover what he is "known" for through Wikipedia or some similar site.  In other words, limited distribution doesn't seem to have camouflaged him in recent years.  I sort of doubt that anything other than a book deal with a major publisher would really change his stature?

re:evolution

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 06, 2023, 06:43:22 PM

Thinking about it more, would it really damage his, I guess, artistic integrity to get a wider distribution/produce higher print runs at this point?  Thanks to the Internet, the most shocking details of his writing are widely available, and anyone can quickly discover what he is "known" for through Wikipedia or some similar site.  In other words, limited distribution doesn't seem to have camouflaged him in recent years.  I sort of doubt that anything other than a book deal with a major publisher would really change his stature?

I guess my thoughts on this have nothing to do with 'damage to reputation', as Sotos could hardly fare worse if someone did some basic Google searching on him.

Rather, my view is that low print runs may be a tactical one, given it would be extremely difficult (if nigh on impossible) to create a 'cancel culture response' for 'controversial' books which are simple not visible/widely available/immediately sold out.

I also assume Sotos may have a dim view of the number of readers who would really 'get' him, which may also result in low print runs.

But again, I am only spit balling on this, and have no 'insider knowledge' on this either.
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: re:evolution on January 08, 2023, 01:16:50 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 06, 2023, 06:43:22 PM

I also assume Sotos may have a dim view of the number of readers who would really 'get' him, which may also result in low print runs.

I think there is truth to everything that you are saying.  If books only go to fans, it would be near-impossible to censor them.

I find your point about Sotos' view of his readers especially interesting, though, because it is not something that I had considered before.  Even though the content of his books is so base, there is still a lot of elitism underlying and motivating his commentary.

Dodgson

Quote from: theotherjohn on January 05, 2023, 10:45:51 PM
Try asking Chip at Nine Banded Books as he might get some spare copies, it was listed in the Future Releases section on his website.

How do I reach Chip?

theotherjohn

He runs Nine Banded Books. Email him.