sotos

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 04, 2010, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 13, 2011, 05:23:48 AM
What did he write about 'theotherjohn'? Doesn't sound like anythng worth writing about.... in a book.

It was something disparaging like 'some poor guy even made a site from his hard-earned copies of Pure'.

Sotos just loves to bitch - I'm assuming Mark Solotroff is a long-term friend of his but he gets a severe tongue-lashing in 'Selfish Little' over the label art of the Buyers Market album. I am reminded of nothing more than the drag queen DJs and MCs in the sleaziest gay bars in my home town - ultimately kinda cute and harmless stuff.

RyanWreck

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on May 13, 2011, 01:28:03 AM

Can anyone here describe the 'Waitress' editions that came with the limited Creation 'collected Sotos'? Or the contents of Crows & Repertoire

The Waitress I have is pretty much just interviews and material from other books (like Predicate and C&C) seemingly placed together at random with some new stuff like a babysitting adventure when Sotos was a teen, injected in between.

Crows is "illustrated" and shows the images that Index was suppose to have in it, he writes about this in the beginning of Lordotics - "The original manuscript of Index came with pages of xeroxes from underground catalogs, personal letters from cops and perverts and favorite pictures." No pictures or cop letters but it has a bunch of scans from catalogs like the Slave & Master catalog, Superlive, order form for Gymnastics teaching videos, some personal ad's from "Hedonist Society" of people asking for CP photos (these same ads can also be found in an Issue of Pure, forgot which), swingers ad's, scans from a review of a series called "Oriental S&M" and a 3-4 pages hard to read copy of some note about some gay lovin'. The writing itself in Crows is just a few pages, 7 to be exact, and I don't remember much of what it talked about so the text part of it obviously didn't make much of an impression. Like all of the material in the back of the "Collected Sotos" books the text is suppose to "shed light on the themes and motivations behind the three books". Crows is in Private so it is suppose to deal with Index, Show Adult and Selfish, Little.

I have yet to read Repertoire but I will get around to it soon. It's the only reason I bought Public since I own C&C, Predicate and Lazy already.

humanpulp

yeah, thats the fucking problem. dishing out a lot of cash for 90 to 95% of material i already have just to get a small "new" written section. i hate shit like that, but i am more pissed because i know i will end up buying them.

RyanWreck

Quote from: humanpulp on May 13, 2011, 08:09:20 PM
yeah, thats the fucking problem. dishing out a lot of cash for 90 to 95% of material i already have just to get a small "new" written section. i hate shit like that, but i am more pissed because i know i will end up buying them.

Yep. The only one I am holding back on is Total Abuse. I don't own Tool but I own everything else (well with the exception of a few Waitress supplements) and Total Abuse doesn't go for cheap. I'm sure one day I will break down and buy it when I'm sitting around thinking "I wish I had a new Sotos to read...oh wait I never did get to read all of Tool."

@HongKongGoolagong - Speaking of supplemental material, I was wondering what you thought of "The Perfect Jason Swift" and KEPT's "Missing Children" (you said a bit about "Indulging Children" but not the other)? Also, if you do not have the Waitress I was talking about in my previous post go ahead and PM me and I will send you a scan of it that I have.

HongKongGoolagong

The Perfect Jason Swift has an enormous amount of found material (eg from Tate & Wyre's 'The Murder of Childhood') and not enough original writing, although that collage style of putting texts together is certainly daring, and reminiscent of eg Kathy Acker's work.  Missing Children was an interesting exercise in creative imagination, picturing the bereaved mothers' reactions and public personas as Sotos would seemingly prefer them to be - it didn't quite come off but was a good effort, reminded me of some of the later chapters in Special.

In case anyone wants to know the contents of the FIRST two 'Waitress' editions: #1 was a real winner with lots of published and unpublished interviews (the standout being one for the fictitious 'Pedophile Gazette' in which the relationship with Whitehouse gets dissected), and a long 'remix' of Selfish Little/Comfort and Critique/Predicate, and the entire text of the extremely brutal and unpleasant unpublishable 90s 'Playground Sex'. #2 which came with Show Adult has reprints of articles on Andrea Dworkin, Jennifer Montgomery and treatment programs for sex offenders, lots of webcam cock printouts and a lengthy collection of cuttings from newspapers which is very similar to the stuff in Kept.     

RyanWreck

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on May 14, 2011, 01:20:21 AM
The Perfect Jason Swift has an enormous amount of found material (eg from Tate & Wyre's 'The Murder of Childhood') and not enough original writing, although that collage style of putting texts together is certainly daring, and reminiscent of eg Kathy Acker's work. 

I can't tell which is which in this text, that was my problem. Sometimes Sotos speaks "academically" so it is hard to know when he is talking or when he's quoting someone else when he doesn't actually put fucking quotes around the text.

Mr.Payne

[quote author=RyanWreck link=topic=230.msg9671#msg9671

I can't tell which is which in this text, that was my problem. Sometimes Sotos speaks "academically" so it is hard to know when he is talking or when he's quoting someone else when he doesn't actually put fucking quotes around the text.
[/quote]

This aspect of Sotos' work adds more to each return reading. You can always pick up different lines of thought and perspective to the subject. What is being said and from what viewpoint. I kind of like it that way.

humanpulp

maybe i am a little confused.. is the full manuscript for Playground Sex available in the Timeless: Peter Sotos edition?

RyanWreck

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 21, 2011, 01:24:09 AM
Is the Sotos yahoogroup still active or did it turn to all spam? Best thing I ever read there was a comment about if you had to fight him, all you'd need to do is hold up a piece of cardboard with a hole in it and it'd distract him...

After all the spam they split off into a new group called petersotosmoderated but that has been really dead for the last year as well.

humanpulp

there has really been no activity at petersotosmoderated. i recently just pulled the INDEX manuscript adaptation by Davyd Freeman from the files section of the regular sotos group, but that is ALL spam.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: RyanWreck on May 13, 2011, 06:01:45 AM
No pictures or cop letters but ...some personal ad's from "Hedonist Society" of people asking for CP photos

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,975356,00.html

Cop letters!

They also used 'Midlands Data Research' and 'Heartland Institute for a New Tomorrow' as phony entrapment organisation names around that time.

RyanWreck

Did not know that, but from looking at some of the personals in it you can gather that some of those people are law enforcement, I didn't think the whole thing was though.

bitewerksMTB

Tate & Wyre's 'The Murder of Childhood'

Great book.

RyanWreck

From what I remember of Tate/Wyre's book is that I skipped a lot of parts and found most of it boring, maybe I should read back through it now since I haven't read it in years.

HongKongGoolagong

As writers they're nowhere near as talented as someone like Gitta Sereny but the access and mutual trust they got with Robert Black led to some amazing exchanges - see eg text at http://philipbest.blogspot.com/2010/09/damp-stairs.html

Tim Tate's views on Sotos get reprinted at http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31872