sotos

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 04, 2010, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 19, 2012, 02:19:59 AM
I didn't know speed was different for those who are queer or straight.
The same substance supplied by manly bikers everywhere who love getting their brown wings with a bunch of other hairy tattooed guys watching actually transforms into a limp-wristed new romantic sort of thing oozing mascara called Tina around the gents who bat for the other team.

I always liked the lines from Language Recovery "Have you ever used a dental dam? Do you even know how to get HIV?" for their vitriol and sarcasm. The paragraph PB is referring to (which Sotos was so proud of he reused it in Special after it first appeared in an issue of Parasite) about dental dams and baby car seats is fucking funny though.

RyanWreck

All their suspects in that Patz case ended up not panning out, I don't think they have ever got close. It seems like the 60's-70's were a great time to kill people, way too many cold cases come back to a date in those decades.

If you hang out with a queer or two for more than a few hours it seems like Meth and/or poppers will be brought up at some point. So many different types of speed exist. Crank, the shit bikers started making in the 60's has a consistency of chunky peanut butter, ice is like broken glass and is fucking strong and the usual trailer park shit is yellow tinted shards. Europeans generally get old-school, pure amp's. Queers get it all, although I was watching a show on NBC where some fags were cooking up meth shake-and-bake style and weren't letting it wash so it would come out blue and pink, kinda rainbow looking. For all the Heroin and pills I have done I have never touched the shit, it's disgusting.

RyanWreck

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 10, 2012, 10:32:50 PM

Looks like TOTAL FILTH will be published this summer. It's on Amazon & It's listed as 'coming soon' on Feral House's site also (Amazon is cheaper).

Yep, and it looks like it has a different cover than what was shown before, and they have finally set a target release date of June 12th. The content of Pure Filth looks great (posted below for the lazy people who don't want to go look for themselves). I've been interested since I had first heard of the release but I am extremely interested now. Even though I have seen a handful of these films there are a couple that I haven't watched and the commentary from Jamie himself on each chapter/film is going to be invaluable in itself and worth the $50 sales price. Sotos only writes the introduction but it seems to be about 32 pages long (of which something like 20 or so full pages can be read on Amazon's preview feature, and like 3 full chapters with Jamie's introduction and the transcripts and all, it actually feels like there is a third of the entire book is shown in that preview. I will link it at the bottom of this post), with fairly small font, of completely new text. A bit more than I expected to get from his hand.

Contents:

Preview:
http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Filth-Peter-Sotos/dp/1936239310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334989473&sr=8-1

RyanWreck

vlai44

If anyone is in Portland, Oregon, Sotos and Adam Parfrey are doing a reading at Powell's Books this Thursday, May 3 2012 @ 6:30PM.  And then a couple more appearances in NYC next week.  http://feralhouse.com/behold-the-impure/

RyanWreck

Read that 32 page sample of the Sotos introduction to Pure Filth, which only about 5 or 6 pages seem to actually be missing (maybe less?). His intro is really quite good, very lucid and concise this time as opposed to his other later era books. Sotos actually address' this, saying that he "Doesn't write like this usually. I'd rather not explain what I do to people who didn't come for the subject and I despise using something anecdotal or point driven. However, in deference to Jaime, who I understand is dead, I'm less inclined to insist on the context I usually prefer to wrap myself in." Sotos then continues to go over the transcripts, he talks about his relationship with Jamie and the editor of this book, his opinion of the screen grabs used, and his opinion on some of the videos featured. He also talks a bit about how he thinks that most of the "private" videos Jamie did weren't truly private, that was merely a term used to sell more and jack the price up, or something to that effect. I've been skimming through the transcripts too but unfortunately the preview gets a bit more greedy around these areas and you can only read a few from On The Prowl series, along with Jamie's introductions which are pretty good for the most part. I'm really looking forward to getting this book now.

RyanWreck

Is there any other published Sotos artwork besides the Still Going Strong/Ankles & Wrists cover and the whip from the Cream Of The Second Coming cover art? The style kind of reminds me of something from the artist who did certain cartoon sections on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" movie.

davenpdx

A tiny bit off topic, but is the continuation of the Creation saga?
http://sunvisionpress.org
Mystery Attacks: updates / sounds
Rouge Label: updates

RyanWreck

I'm trying to put a bibliography with correct dates together, just for a personal list, the one on Wiki is way off. I'm going to start at the beginning and read them all through again even though I don't think there is one Sotos book I haven't read more than once. So any help on these would be appreciated: What year did Tool come out, 1998? When did he begin writing Parasite? And which was written first, Lazy or Tick?

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: RyanWreck on May 31, 2012, 04:21:18 AM
I'm trying to put a bibliography with correct dates together, just for a personal list, the one on Wiki is way off. I'm going to start at the beginning and read them all through again even though I don't think there is one Sotos book I haven't read more than once. So any help on these would be appreciated: What year did Tool come out, 1998? When did he begin writing Parasite? And which was written first, Lazy or Tick?

Tool first came out in full as the middle section of Total Abuse in early 1996 (copyright page says 1995, copyright for Tool excerpt on Buyers Market says 1992) - seems it was written over three years before.

Parasite started in September 1993. Ceased publication on the advice of ACLU 1995. http://www.aclu.org/ Hi ACLU!

Lazy came before Tick. I still love Tick so much, what a fucking book. The stuff in there about all the regrets at bad decisions, mixed in with Matthew Shepard material toward the end - amazing writing. And such fun trying to trace all the mischievous questions and answers in the narrative, and finding where they were all from. All-time classic closing paragraph. One of his very best, up there with Show Adult and Comfort and Critique.

Never seen a copy myself but am informed that Playground Sex was published in a samizdat style ringbinder edition of 50 by someone in Europe well before its unadvertised and unannounced surprise reprint in the first Waitress. Remember 'PS' being announced as forthcoming in Susan Lawly newsletters back in '97. There is even more sensitive material than usual in that book regarding victims of crimes and specific names, it's a shame but understandable that it hasn't been more widely available. Seriously depressing and bleak read though, I pity any paedophiles who may have sought it out due to the title and notoriety expecting some kind of erotica.

Wikipedia entry isn't too bad IMHO, seen worse on all sorts of topics. Index came out '98 though. Lazy was '99.

Desperately seeking a copy of 'MINE' here and will pay decent price to anyone who wants to offload it.

RyanWreck

I think I have someone lined up to sell me Mine for a reasonable price because of a trade I did with them before. Crossing my fingers he e-mails me back. If so I have no problem passing it along to you just to read when I am done then you can send it back. I trust you won't keep it or I would have to hire a hitman off of the deepweb.

What happened to the 9BB reprint of Tool? I don't see it mentioned anywhere anymore...

Thanks for the dates. I was pretty correct with them all except for Parasite. I remember him saying that about the ACLU in another book, don't remember which. Too much stuff like that for me, stories and links from his books that I can't remember where they are from which is one of the main reasons I am going to go back through every thing. For instance I was re-reading "The Perfect Jason Swift" earlier and just realized he re-answered the questions from Selfish Little that were asked in section 2 part 1. Funny to read his 'updated' answers after all those years.  He also mentions this guy who he references a few times, a friend of his who went to jail and who had "great access" (Selfish, Little) and I think I figured out who that guy was, David Vaksdal, from Chicago reports at the time and from clippings in Kept. I was trying to figure it out because I wanted to see his artwork of the child murderers. Tick is definitely a great read, one of his best definitely. Is PS reprinted in its entirety in that copy of Waitress because that is the only version I have read (and the chunks featured in some shorter piece along with an interview, both of which were on the old Yahoo groups file section).

locustfurnace

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on May 31, 2012, 05:05:37 AM
Never seen a copy myself but am informed that Playground Sex was published in a samizdat style ringbinder edition of 50 by someone in Europe well before its unadvertised and unannounced surprise reprint in the first Waitress. Remember 'PS' being announced as forthcoming in Susan Lawly newsletters back in '97. There is even more sensitive material than usual in that book regarding victims of crimes and specific names, it's a shame but understandable that it hasn't been more widely available. Seriously depressing and bleak read though, I pity any paedophiles who may have sought it out due to the title and notoriety expecting some kind of erotica.

I have that version, it was released by Timeless (from France) in 2000, the first edition in the samizdat style ringbinder is 100 copies. I think it was my first introduction to Sotos. Good read.

RyanWreck

What is on the cover of that?

tiny_tove

I have two copies of that.
classic!
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

locustfurnace

Quote from: RyanWreck on May 31, 2012, 11:09:33 AM
What is on the cover of that?