HELSINKI 20.4.2012 : ROMAN PILATES (can), HALTHAN, UMPIO

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, April 04, 2012, 01:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Helsinki, mellunmäki private SICK event.
Pistä mailia ja saat infot paikalle tuloon!

ROMAN PILATES = Kanada harsh noise
HALTHAN = Helsinki voimaelektroniikka
UMPIO = Turku junk elektronixxx
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

XE

Perjantaina!
HALTHAN veisaa virren, Mrs.Silent Abuse avustaa. Kaikki uutta materiaalia tulevalta "I AM YOUR ENEMY" täyspitkältä.
UMPIO Takuuvarma romuverilöyly!
Muistakaahan ilmoittautua etukäteen FV(AT)LIVE.FI

FreakAnimalFinland

Umpio started quiet, more random crunch moments between silence. It developed further and eventually into harsh noise. Many appeared to comment it was best Umpio gig, for my own taste - I liked more the middle to end section than the slow beginning. Umpio sound of dirty crunch is somehow very unique. And his style in live situation to mix the acoustic kling-klong to bassy rumbles is something I've seen very few to do.
My hopes: to add crispier high frequency (PA or guitar amps) to give the sugar frosting on top of bass amp crunch.

Halthan most certainly was musically his best gig. Like live Halthan generally has been, it's loud, aggressive and nasty sound. Very opposite of older studio material. Performance elements included lots of printed visuals, bloody syringes and bloody money (ehm.. 5c coins!) thrown at crowd, thin wooden cross decorated with political slogans/artworks in the tradition of G.O. / Söldnergeist type of bands. It was enjoyable while watching the video, yet perhaps very bright lights made small flaws of performance elements clear. I think this, with proper stage, proper lights, and Halthan is on its way to become nice live band of his genre!
My hopes: Less loud delay for vocals - to reveal the anger and lyrics instead of mass of repeating vocal noises.

Roman Pilates started with little awkward "lets try this" type of approach. Every processed feedback seemed to last just matter of seconds, but not being exploding noise, but just like short cuts of... feedback drone? It took to almost middle of set, and suddenly he reaches point where two walkmen are playing great decayed harsh noise/tape rewind type of sounds and feedback adds some details....   but.. hmm.. I'm amazed to see that several such a great moments are abruptly cut and he moves back to kind of aimless shifts from sound to next one. If it would be possible to edit the lazy parts away, and re-experience highlights - perhaps 1/3 of the set - it could be said to be very good stuff. Now as it was, hardly lives up to highest levels of harsh noise today. I liked the ruggedness of metal junk in later part of set. Even if it took a while to get the sound audible, it was damaged and rough in the end. And of course the spontaneous involvement of mr. Eleczema was like burst of energy. I actually think it injected energy to entire set from that point forward.
My hopes: mr. Eleczema involving this energy to his own live set! It would be simply brilliant - honestly!

I guess c. 30+ people all in all? Decent crowd for this line-up and the Bizarre Penthouse (perhaps more accurate than bunker?!) proved to be perfect place for such low profile noise events!

Next happening in horizon: 25.5. Lepakkomies gig.
http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=2174.0

And more noise, also interesting international names to follow during 2012! Keep eyes on announcements..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

RyanWreck

I've always wondered...do you guys own this bunker, is it more like a "squat" type situation or is it something like a rented out space? Is Finland just filled with these bunkers from the past that you can pretty much just have your own? It sounds fucking awesome in any case.

Niko

Quote from: RyanWreck on April 21, 2012, 01:32:30 PMIs Finland just filled with these bunkers from the past that you can pretty much just have your own? It sounds fucking awesome in any case.

Room made out of concrete = "bunker"
Not really much to do with WW2 bunkers for example. I guess you can find these kind of boiler rooms/cellars/storages turned into band rehersal places from any country.
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

kettu

Quote from: RyanWreck on April 21, 2012, 01:32:30 PM
I've always wondered...do you guys own this bunker,

abandoned places never have any outlets  and are moist and moldy. but I go to an old ammo storage/ blast shelter /cave thats nearby very regulary. mostly to meditate but I play some tunes there too.

if theres a gig in pappa uproars penthouse in the summer id advice foreigners and finnish shits to find the trenches nearby. it was made pre wwii by chinamen and has a nice feel to it. long and deep trenches in the woods fairly close to the venue.