Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Yes, OFF! is impressive for what it is.  I didn't even know about it until a couple years ago.  That s/t album from 2012 is my favorite.  The EPs before it are also good.

OFF! - s/t 2012 - I love the guitar work; good distortion and riffs.   The guitarist knows his shit.  Such a great early punk feel.  I don't listen to a lot of stuff in the punky-punk or neo-vintage punk areas of HC, but I probably would listen to more of it, if it was like this.  A lot of people these days take a walk back in time.  That's cool and fine and all, but in my opinion, they fail at taking the listener back along with them.  This record does not fail.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on February 21, 2021, 01:29:07 PM
Great UK82 retro band..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBN-Q8q05ww&feature=emb_logo

Yeah, liking this one a lot. Anything LVEUM puts out is usually worth the time to investigate.

Have been listening to this Poison Ruin lp a lot this week. Really fucking good. https://youtu.be/zAktfrVnDu0

tiny_tove

Currently consuming UK's CHISEL, great mix of UK HC a la violent reaction and traditional oi with strong debt to Blitz, the Rejects and also Hard skins. There are a couple of tracks that have very similar riffs to this or that song, but they are amazing.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

Radio Raheem is such a consistently great label.  They keep proving it, over and over again, and I keep repeating it.  And their records don't look like, feel like, or sound like bubblegum machine products.  The Psychos and Sarcasm collection LPs are smokers and pure joy.  If you're into early Agnostic Front, you have to hear The Psychos, and if you like early crust and crossover, you have to hear the Sarcasm demos.  United Mutation always blow my mind with how progressive they were at the time.  Did Pushead get inspiration from them?  Such nasty and gritty stuff.

Also revisited the 2010's material from Misery, which is as great as anything they ever did.  The album from 2011 is 54+ minutes, and it is solid  throughout.  Powerful, psychedelic heaviness.

Flesh Parade - Kill Whitey 7" + demos.  The vocals can simultaneously get on my nerves and are entirely unique.  I never remember what they sound like.

La Pestilencia - La Muerte...Un Compromiso De Todos 1989.  Columbian HC/thrash/grind/something.  Ugly and raw, as you'd expect from a more complex Herpes.  I'd never heard of them until the recent boot of this album.  One of those albums you don't know where to go after listening to it.  It's amazing they don't get more talk.  I still think Confusion are the kings, but I'm all there for this.

More Japanese issues on Relapse.  A Zouo collection and a new album from Struggling Harsh Immortals, which are clearly influenced by Ministry.  The Zouo download has a bunch not included on the record.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Quote from: Zeno Marx on February 21, 2021, 09:16:47 PM
Yes, OFF! is impressive for what it is.  I didn't even know about it until a couple years ago.  That s/t album from 2012 is my favorite.  The EPs before it are also good.

I'd seen those OFF! records EVERYWHERE at one point and never even realized what it was. I've been listening to both LPs a lot lately. I have no idea who the "Burning Brides" are that guitar player has a great sound. Jeff McDonald always brings a great element to a band. I even find the newer Melvins records with him slightly more tolerable, and while I like early to mid period Melvins as much as the next guy, some of that newer shit I've heard is fucking absolute unlistenable garbage (in a bad way).

I think the thing about OFF! is it's just old heads playing. It's not "retro" at all. And the dude from Earthless is such a good drummer and I like pointless psych jamming as much as the next guy but those Earthless records you can only spin once in a while. Honestly I only ever really go back to the first LP and that first live DLP. The Earthless rhythm section did a live record with J. Mascis and the guitar player from Annihilation Time that was super good too.... Earthless Meets Heavy Blanket? It was wild shit.

I'm really keen to hear what Rudimentary Peni is up too. Apparently a new record? Or a "lost" record coming out? And reissues of the 7"s and Death Church. La Vida just posted the master tapes on their Instagram. That's exciting! Any sort of "top ten" list I'd ever make would have Death Church on it.

I was jamming the AXEGRINDER LP a lot lately in the car. My LP is in need of a new reissue and thankfully I see there's a cheap 2020 press out there. Pretty stoked to upgrade to a better player copy.

totalblack

I'm really looking forward to the R.P. reissue campaign and although I'm not the biggest fan of anything post 1990 I'll still check out the new album.

I will say that I think Cacophony is a stronger release than Death Church. I think both are phenomenal but Cacophony is maybe my top favourite punk record of all time.

Grübelschlinge

After GISM reissue (with censored artwork) Relapse now reissue ZOUO material! Is Japanese Hardcore their new direction? Let's find out!

NerveGas

Quote from: totalblack on March 11, 2021, 01:00:23 AM
I'm really looking forward to the R.P. reissue campaign and although I'm not the biggest fan of anything post 1990 I'll still check out the new album.

I will say that I think Cacophony is a stronger release than Death Church. I think both are phenomenal but Cacophony is maybe my top favourite punk record of all time.

The newer stuff certainly doesn't hold a candle to the classic 80's material, but I would say that they are one of the few bands from the time period to not completely go down the shitter. I'm not totally in the loop with their new material, but Echoes Of Anguish came out post-90s (97 I believe), and it's a phenomenal record. Especially compared with how much garbage was being pumped out during this time period.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

APPLE

'Cacophony' and 'Death Church' are both flawless albums. There is not much between them but I slightly prefer 'Cacophony' as its varied angles on the Lovecraft theme make it a unique experience full of bizarre humour.

For later records, I am very fond of the 'Archaic' EP from 2004. I think it stands up against any of their classic works.

Zeno Marx

With some recommendations, digging more into UK82.  I'm again jumping back and forth between UK82 and my tried and true 90's dis-, though digging into the 2nd and 3rd tiers with the likes of No Admission, Masslakt, Zionide, etc.  And then this oddball Swedish crusty metal band ENS!  I remember seeing their 7" in the bins, but it looked like an awful boilerplate anarcho record, which is sort of bullshit, because it now reminds me of something the great Scatha or Sedition would use.  A new perspective.

THE find as of late:

The Fiend ‎– Complete Recordings 83-87 - absolute Discharge style with some Ian MacKaye yelling in the vocals - I can't believe I've never heard anyone talk about this band - so, so good.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Eigen Bast

Quote from: Grübelschlinge on March 11, 2021, 09:02:28 AM
After GISM reissue (with censored artwork) Relapse now reissue ZOUO material! Is Japanese Hardcore their new direction? Let's find out!

I've heard Dwid from Integrity is managing all these Japanese reissues and working with the bands; I'm happy they're seeing some $$ after being booted to hell. Very stoked for the S.H.I. LP and inevitable M.A.N. reissue.

holy ghost

I know Radio Raheem was just mentioned here and I finally got around to checking out Sacrilege – Thoughts Are But Dreams Till Their Effects Are Tried - 1985 Demos LP - I sort of glossed over it because NYC hardcore or bands that sound like typical NYC hardcore are just not my bag, but this was just great Discharge-esque stuff. Apparently the link between Agnostic Front and Nausea? I haven't spun either band in a long assed time and will have to rectify that. I am pretty sure I have the Nausea LP and the Cybergod 7" in a box in my basement somewhere.

Grübelschlinge

Quote from: Eigen Bast on March 15, 2021, 08:39:22 PM
Quote from: Grübelschlinge on March 11, 2021, 09:02:28 AM

I've heard Dwid from Integrity is managing all these Japanese reissues and working with the bands; I'm happy they're seeing some $$ after being booted to hell. Very stoked for the S.H.I. LP and inevitable M.A.N. reissue.

M.A.N. reissue!!!!

Zeno Marx

Quote from: holy ghost on March 15, 2021, 09:47:19 PM
I know Radio Raheem was just mentioned here and I finally got around to checking out Sacrilege – Thoughts Are But Dreams Till Their Effects Are Tried - 1985 Demos LP - I sort of glossed over it because NYC hardcore or bands that sound like typical NYC hardcore are just not my bag, but this was just great Discharge-esque stuff. Apparently the link between Agnostic Front and Nausea? I haven't spun either band in a long assed time and will have to rectify that. I am pretty sure I have the Nausea LP and the Cybergod 7" in a box in my basement somewhere.
Radio Raheem isn't limiting itself to the traditional definition of NYHC.  It covers all styles.  Against, Sarcasm, Insanity, and Hellbent might also be of interest.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.