Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Die Kreuzen's October File is such a brilliant album.  Track sequence is on the money.  Flows perfectly.  40 minutes later, and it feels like it just started.  A time flier.  What Voi Vod could have maybe accomplished with a quality proggish album.  I don't like the wording of that sentence, but October File feels like a lost Voi Vod album.  Like it came out of nowhere, too.  That's why I'd like some background and history around it in that upcoming book.

a few other worthwhile German HC bands:  Aclys (the 1st album in particular), Acheborn (such an interesting and progressive album at the end), Zorn, Zann, Mine, The Men of Hell, Corrosive, Zelot, Golgatha, Graue Zellen.  The Plot compilation.  Not in that caustic realm and before that time, the Luzifers Mob 7" was a smoker.  And ABC Diabolo - Last Intoxication of Senses is a top-10er of the 90s.

*what's the record for number of edits to a post?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Nolan

Zeno, I'll add the first few Dawnbreed records to your German list as well.

Pretty sure Mine were Swiss.

holy ghost

https://kontoncrasher.storenvy.com/products/30991744-paranoid-out-raising-hell-lp

New Paranoid LP drops out of nowhere - very exciting! Ordered from Konton Crasher in the US before realizing the band had copies of the 12" of outtakes. Already regretting that one.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Nolan on September 23, 2020, 08:13:14 PM
Pretty sure Mine were Swiss.
I think I've screwed that up before.  Thanks.

Stayed on that German road a bit longer.  Zann continues to impress.  I was more acquainted with their album than the singles/etc collection.  That singles collection is cohesive and fierce with sharp and cool ideas.  And then Systral - Black Smoker...it's not a continuation of Fever, but after a couple new listens, I finally might be there.  The next time I run out of Napalm Death, I'm going to try Black Smoker.  Needed to change my perspective to hear it.

I don't own the Zorn demo, but it's on youtube.  A 25-minute demo, and at times, I was thinking of Contropotere.  That's a good thing.  That's my cue today.  With that industrial feel, I fell off the German track into Ministry - In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up Live 1990 and Psalm 69 1992.  I'm always surprised with how well Ministry holds up.  Doesn't hurt that the live album is one of the best of its kind, maybe ever.  And the video is good as well.

I've also been talking about Naked Raygun elsewhere, so it only made sense to go from a little Chicago industrial metal to a little Chicago industrial indie (?) with Big Black.  The sound they get on "Cables" makes me think of how Wood describes his bass as girders.  Naked Raygun - All Rise 1987 is a fine, fine way to wake up.  "Home of the Brave"...could name that tune in two seconds.  What a guitar sound.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

absurdexposition

On a bit of a Framtid kick after being reminded of their two shows in at Varning in Montreal 3 years ago (fucking hell). The records are good but admittedly it's not something I listen to very often at all. Live, however, was unreal. The first night of the fest I remember being surprised that I enjoyed essentially all of the bands, and then Framtid capped the night and I instantly realized all the other bands sucked in comparison. They crushed them all so easily.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

impulse manslaughter

Saw Framtid once and it was insane. A friend of mine went crazy and put me in a headlock dragging me through the pit while drunken punks were smashing bottles over peoples head.

Zeno Marx

Legion of Death (Denver, Colorado)

I'd never heard this band.  I enjoyed a demo and rehearsal yesterday.  Lethal Aggression crossed with Repulsion crossed with the stupidity of certain noisecore.  I'm told their Unconstructive Anarchism demo is good and was compared to "a more metal NYC Mayhem."  I'll be hitting that one sometime soon.  This was very good and fun.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Detente - Recognize No Authority + demos 1986 - this is new to me.  I've flipped by this record on many occasion, but it never interested me.  Someone recently called them the US version of Sacrilege, so I had to give it a go.  Dawn Crosby went onto form Fear of God, which I think I may have heard.  I know I went to a show with Grave and Incantation opening for FoG, but I think I left a couple songs into their set.  I don't remember them at all.  Detente has more metal/thrash sensibilities than Sacrilege, making it second rate to that, but I really enjoyed this album and then demos.  It's great to still have unheard fun albums to find.

Onslaught - The Shadow of Death (demos) - another band relatively new to me.  I flipped by Power from Hell and The Force hundreds of times.  The covers seemed so cheesy and awful (I still think they look like lazy, bad covers).  They couldn't be any good.  A couple years ago I finally heard Power from Hell for the first time.  What a surprise.  These demos are so cool.  Discharge and GBH and so many things great...except more bad cover art.

Giuseppe Carabino - U RuĊĦevinama 84'-86' demo - Yugoslavian punk - interesting and a good listen.

and then some Blood Duster, Mutator demo (ex-Threatener), Massacre demo (Finnish punk), and Whiplash.s
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Zeno Marx

This somewhat ties into this thread:  http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=10998.0

I had no idea people collected old pins/badges/buttons.  It should have been obvious, but I guess the fact that most of them were bootlegged and not official merchandise of bands made me think of them as "junk" or afterthought, sort of like screened patches not seeming like they could ever be collectible or valuable in any other sense (unless associated with a release).  Fashion and developing culture.  All this is pinging because of something General Speech said in two instagram posts and then is also doing with his label.  Packages of reproduction posters, flyers, and other memorabilia.  I'm sure they aren't the first or only.  Distort Reality Records is big on keychains, pins, and fashion oriented things.  This was (is?) all commonplace in record stores back when, but I can't think of too many DIY labels venturing off into memorabilia beyond T-shirts and patches.  It's interesting that these online stores can be vibed into feeling like old record store culture.  Is it just me, though?  Maybe I'm making something out of nothing.  Or maybe I just like that obsessive types are digging further into the minutia of this culture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHIZqyBDKwt/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHNsk0vDCAX/
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

impulse manslaughter

GISM reissues on Relapse! Apparently the site crashed because so many people tried to order a special edition. I just ordered a cd, perfect music to blast while driving to work.

holy ghost

Been on a bender for early LA punk/hardcore - Redd Kross, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Agent Orange, Wasted Youth, TSOL, Angry Samoans.... turned me on to OFF! who I have ignored this whole time and just totally clicked with. Old heads doing early Flag style hc with absolutely nothing new but great hooks and classic Ginn esque riffs. Killer shit for a midlife crisis hardcore binge....

absurdexposition

Quote from: holy ghost on February 20, 2021, 03:39:16 AM
Agent Orange, TSOL

Both of these guys are usually never far from punk rotation over here, but just revisited Living In Darkness the other day. Perfect record.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com