Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatefukk

Ive gone back and forth with punk over the years.  I've always been fond of Cro-mags and even some Angry Somoans here and there.  Definitely can't handle any of the pop-punk stuff and the majority of it just puts me in an awful mood.  One of the more recent bands i've really loved (my version of recent so it's already pretty old I guess) is a band called No. They only have one album to my knowledge titled "treating people like they don't exist" which is just about as cool as you can get for an album title.  It's an absolute nightmare to try and find any info on the band due to their name but I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose.  If you haven't heard it definitely give it a listen.  It has the kind of energy and crazy off the wall quality that I think original punk had way back when it was new and exciting.  I found a great review of it that conveniently has a stream of the album included.  https://cvltnation.com/no-treating-people-like-they-dont-exist-review-full-stream/  super short songs that really can't be compared to anything else i've ever heard. Give it a whirl, you won't regret it.

Euro Trash Bazooka

No ruled! I believe they shared members with (among others) the Shitty Limits (which were also ace.)

I still have No demo in my shelves, which is the same kind of stuff as the LP. One of my bands also shared the stage with them back then and they were how you described them live as well, rather musically unhinged. I loved them.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

holy ghost

Have been listening to a ton of Unwound lately - not a band I was into in the 90's but I've really come to appreciate their stuff these last few years. That takes me into stuff like Union of Uranus, Drift, Rorschach, Born Against, One Eyed God Prophecy...... last stuff I pulled out was In/Humanity's first LP and the first Damad record. Those two I was huge into in the 90's and have paid very little attention to since then, all of it has held up surprisingly well.

One record I really liked was the Food Not Bombs LP on Anomie Records. Great variety of weird screamo bands with some real heavy shit mixed in.

Duncan

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on September 13, 2020, 01:06:20 AM
No ruled! I believe they shared members with (among others) the Shitty Limits (which were also ace.)

I still have No demo in my shelves, which is the same kind of stuff as the LP. One of my bands also shared the stage with them back then and they were how you described them live as well, rather musically unhinged. I loved them.

Shitty Limits were great. Members of that band had done some really cool stuff prior to and following the Limits. Good Throb and Personnel come recommended.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: holy ghost on September 13, 2020, 03:14:32 PM
Have been listening to a ton of Unwound lately - not a band I was into in the 90's but I've really come to appreciate their stuff these last few years. That takes me into stuff like Union of Uranus, Drift, Rorschach, Born Against, One Eyed God Prophecy...... last stuff I pulled out was In/Humanity's first LP and the first Damad record. Those two I was huge into in the 90's and have paid very little attention to since then, all of it has held up surprisingly well.

I love this stuff too.  That dense, swirling, quasi-psychedelic riffing and abrasion.  The Bremen/German scene was also ferocious.  The Dagda Threefold is another one when I brainstorm for this arena of hardcore.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

^ Acme/Carol/Systral are long time favourites. I seem to have sold my Systral records at some point so I'm scanning discogs to try and re-buy some of those. I also remember that Morser LP being particularly great.

Given the popularity of HHIG/Union of Uranus I'm a little surprised Drift haven't had some sort of anthology collection. A seven inch, a split 7" and some comp tracks - would make a great one sided LP. Really great band playing very similar stuff. I know there were more, we saw a lot of the Ottawa/Quebec scene roll through Toronto in the 90's. Born Dead Icons I could never get into as well as From Ashes Rise. But I bet there quite a few other bands that have been forgotten to the wheels of time.....

urall

You might dig Akephal too then, a German band which is kinda overlooked in that genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktjgbfA3Mc

Zeno Marx

Quote from: urall on September 13, 2020, 08:29:20 PM
You might dig Akephal too then, a German band which is kinda overlooked in that genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktjgbfA3Mc
The CD reissue of this has 5 previously unreleased tracks, one being 13 minutes of goof, plus a decent comp track.  The previously unreleased are their best material, minus the goofer.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: Duncan on September 13, 2020, 05:51:08 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on September 13, 2020, 01:06:20 AM

Shitty Limits were great. Members of that band had done some really cool stuff prior to and following the Limits. Good Throb and Personnel come recommended.

I didn't like Good Throb, actually. But to each their own, of course.

And while people mentioned Akephal, I spun the LP like 3 weeks ago for the first time in years. It aged rather well in my humble opinion.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

impulse manslaughter

Saw Acme one as a 3-piece without the bass player.. crushing, powerful set. Saw Carol after their 7" just came out. Liked the set and picked up their record. Never saw Systral and didn't care too much for Mörser. Another related band was called Stack. They stayed at my place once and I remember we all thought they were assholes so I never bothered to check out their records.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on September 14, 2020, 11:57:33 PM
Saw Acme one as a 3-piece without the bass player.. crushing, powerful set. Saw Carol after their 7" just came out. Liked the set and picked up their record. Never saw Systral and didn't care too much for Mörser. Another related band was called Stack. They stayed at my place once and I remember we all thought they were assholes so I never bothered to check out their records.
Man, Systral.  The 10".  Floored me.  This sounds dramatic, but that's one of those records you hear for the first time, and it actually stuns you.  The record finishes, and you just sit there in silence for a bit.  I think I wrote them to do a record soon after, but they were locked into Per Koro.

Stack...I don't think I ever appreciated how Rorschachian Stack was. I thought of them as more like Capitalist Casualties than German HC. After listening to their demo, which I'm not sure I'd heard before a couple years ago, it all clicked as a smart hybrid of the two.

I was digging around yesterday, and I heard Linsay for the first time.  A nice surprise.  Related to Lebensreform.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/902746-Linsay
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Thanks to the wonders of discogs I've reordered myself a copy of that Systral 10" for like $12. I can't fathom what happened to my copy, I have the Acme LP and CD and all the rest of that metallic German hardcore so I can't see why I would have purged it.

One band I would NEVER have been keen on in the 90's was Moss Icon and I picked up that 3xLP discography a few years ago and I'm listening to it all the time. Like a band that.... feels things? Forget it man.... yet I'm really feeling it (now that I'm 40? What the fuck).

One band I was never super keen on musically is Downcast but I've kept the LP and 7" around forever just because visually they're so great looking. I have to add them to my listening.

Zeno Marx

Was there a better Bremen/German Rorschachian full length than Morser's Two Hours To Doom?  That Systral 10" could maybe be considered a full length at nearly twenty minutes, but I'm not going to include it.  The album Carol released a couple years ago that was mostly seven unreleased tracks from 1996 is also great.  I can think of a couple others that are damn near (Acme, Ambush, ?), but none of them are at that Morser level.  I guess it depends on the day.  Acme and Ambush are so fucking good too.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

I would severely like to cop that Carol LP. Their track on the Stack split is an all time banger.

Similar style was that Bombs of Death split 7" with Acrid. Max from Spazz, Steve Heritage and someone else, very similar type stuff. I gotta fish that one out.

I am reading Mutations by Sam McPheeters and read the Discharge chapter last night. I fished out the Why 12" and the LP - I don't think I've sat down and spun the vinyl in years!

Also had an urge to throw on the first Die Kruetzen 7" and my Necros boot 12" with all the hot tracks.

impulse manslaughter

Die Kreuzen 7" = hardcore perfection.