Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

impulse manslaughter

I love Black Flag (first 2 releases mainly) and most early hardcore but never really listened to Bl'ast. I bought that Expression of Power CD-reissue on Southern Lord, which has 2 different mixes of the first album, because it was cheap. I like some of the songs but overall couldn't get into it. After a while the guitar posturing is getting on my nerves and it's lacking primitive aggression and energy.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on May 11, 2020, 07:32:34 PMAfter a while the guitar posturing is getting on my nerves and it's lacking primitive aggression and energy.
That's interesting.  It's in My Blood is exactly that:  primal energy.  The obvious tone is similar to Black Flag, but more substantially, it hit me in a similar place as Age of Quarrel in that primal aggression and groove.  A neckbreaker dance party...or furious skate session.  Could certainly just be where I was in life and listening that makes me feel this way, though.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 11, 2020, 07:05:43 PMFrom elsewhere, one of my favorite quotes:  "I love classic punk music so I really hope Dave Grohl and Southern Lord can rescue all my potential favorite records from sounding how they did when they originally blew everyone's fucking mind."

Thanks for this. Tells me exactly what I need to hear (save my money and stick with the originals).

holy ghost

Also been really into both LPs from Una Bèstia Incontrolable - super raw, noisy hardcore punk. I don't know how I overlooked this band, as I've been super into Barcelona (the band, from..... Barcelona!) but whatever that city has happening is pretty fucking fresh.

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: holy ghost on May 12, 2020, 12:37:41 AM
Also been really into both LPs from Una Bèstia Incontrolable - super raw, noisy hardcore punk. I don't know how I overlooked this band, as I've been super into Barcelona (the band, from..... Barcelona!) but whatever that city has happening is pretty fucking fresh.

Fantastic band. Was lucky to see them a few years ago in NYC. Spain really churned out some good shit in the past 15 years. You'd be smart to check out Invasion/Destino Final if you're not familiar already (same guitar player.) Glam and Firmeza 10 were other favourites. All still see heavy rotation for me. 

impulse manslaughter

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 11, 2020, 08:33:08 PM
Quote from: impulse manslaughter on May 11, 2020, 07:32:34 PMAfter a while the guitar posturing is getting on my nerves and it's lacking primitive aggression and energy.
That's interesting.  It's in My Blood is exactly that:  primal energy.  The obvious tone is similar to Black Flag, but more substantially, it hit me in a similar place as Age of Quarrel in that primal aggression and groove.  A neckbreaker dance party...or furious skate session.  Could certainly just be where I was in life and listening that makes me feel this way, though.

Don't know why but it doesn't work for me.. When I compare this to some all-time favorites like The Fix - Vengeance, Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown, Negative Approach, Urban Waste, Side By Side or first Minor Threat i'm just missing the out-of-control-no-bullshit-full-speed-ahead-energy. But yeah, I think the moment of discovery is also crucial. Agreed on Age Of Quarrel though. Perfect fusion of the best elements of hardcore and metal.

holy ghost

Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on May 12, 2020, 02:55:26 AM
Quote from: holy ghost on May 12, 2020, 12:37:41 AM

Fantastic band. Was lucky to see them a few years ago in NYC. Spain really churned out some good shit in the past 15 years. You'd be smart to check out Invasion/Destino Final if you're not familiar already (same guitar player.) Glam and Firmeza 10 were other favourites. All still see heavy rotation for me. 

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check them out! There's a ton of La Vida Es Un Mus stuff I really click with and some I really don't click with so it's nice to get suggestions - they have so much stuff I don't always hit the ol' bandcamp for each one!

Definitely the sort of hardcore I am super into at the moment is Sial, Barcelona, Una Bestia, Geld.... that sort of thing!

Zeno Marx

I don't know why, but all those Spanish bands feel more vibrant and urgent, for lack of better terms, than just about everything else out there.  I like plenty of other HC at the same level, or more, but their energy stands out.  Destino Final, Invasion, Una Bèstia Incontrolable, Barcelona, Firmeza 10 (Hardcore Radikal).

Barcelona - Pueden Ser Ellos 2016 - Spanish HC - noisy, female-fronted, arty punk from Spain - interesting guitars and sense of song; almost tribal or like what Crasher Crust Frigora could be with a more arty approach - definitely not your standard affair - not as good as the Extremo Nihilismo En Barcelona album, but I like it quite a bit.

Barcelona - Un Último Ultrasonido Nació Y Murió En Barcelona 2017 - this is closer to the feeling I remember from their 1st album - so angry and urgent, without of the ordinary sense of song and weirdly churning guitars and everything else - unique, great hardcore.

Disface - Cuando Todo Sucumba al Dominio de la Individualidad 2006 - related to Barcelona and Anarquía Vertical - strange, but kind of strange combination of thrash guitars and cleaner, professional production with female vocals - not at all what I would expect from these members or a Dis- name - it's good; also restrained or something (not sure how to describe it, but maybe I'm still working past expectations and into what is there) - but also can sound like a lame, sterile indie band, like on "Volver a reir" - I like it.

Anarquía Vertical - Guerra Higiénica 2015
Anarquía Vertical - Guerra Higiénica 2016
Anarquía Vertical - Sistema Total De Liberación 2016 - related to Barcelona, but nothing musically like them - more straight-forward, but good - similar bold, arty artwork though - final two tracks are experimental/electronic tracks.

Invasion - La Caza - into that constant power tool/distant jet engine effect in the background on side A - last track sounds like maybe something off an other galaxy Amebix demo - entire thing is a "huh?" listen (meaning, it's good) - didn't pick up on the Finnish aspect of the echo vocals for a while - that heavy bass rumbling distracts me from everything else; love.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: theworldisawarfilm

Fantastic band. Was lucky to see them a few years ago in NYC. Spain really churned out some good shit in the past 15 years.

Actually, Spain has had a huge and consistant output of quality hardcore punk of worldwide influence since the late 70's, at least as much of Sweden, except that it also has distinct regional scenes with their own sound as well, and that LVEUM has mostly been putting out stuff from their friends while not really promoting the music from the other parts of the country. But that's another debate I suppose.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on May 13, 2020, 10:17:01 AM
Quote from: theworldisawarfilm

Fantastic band. Was lucky to see them a few years ago in NYC. Spain really churned out some good shit in the past 15 years.

Actually, Spain has had a huge and consistant output of quality hardcore punk of worldwide influence since the late 70's, at least as much of Sweden, except that it also has distinct regional scenes with their own sound as well, and that LVEUM has mostly been putting out stuff from their friends while not really promoting the music from the other parts of the country. But that's another debate I suppose.

Yes, I am aware of the history of Punk in Spain. I was just trying to comment more directly on the band being discussed presently (bought the records, saw a number of the bands during the previous decade.) I think a lot of labels (lets say 99%) "[put] out stuff from their friends" or, more broadly, simply stuff they like. Not Paco (or anybody's) responsibility to operate otherwise, and doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, the majority of LVEUM releases are not even by groups from Spain at all.

holy ghost

LVEUM putting out a wide variety of stuff is what I think puts them at the top tier of hardcore labels along with Iron Lung currently. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. I'm always intrigued, often baffled! Sometimes I'm all "damn this sucks so much" and then the next email I get I'm like... motherfucker this slaps hard!"

impulse manslaughter

One of the best labels around. Actually ordered some of the new stuff yesterday.

[MBD]

I've been revisiting Cult Ritual, especially the LP and 7" on Youth Attack.  The two never let up with seething and unhinged aggression.

Anyone manage to catch them live?  I saw them in Cincinnati on their last tour (either 08 or 09) with Vile Gash, Wasteland Jazz Unit and Order 66.  That was the first show I went to that wasn't some Ticketmaster type of production ha.  Still remains as one of my all time favorite shows.
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

impulse manslaughter

Vile Gash is great. I also like Cult Ritual but but haven't listened to their 7"s for a while. Never saw these bands live.