Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decrepitude

Quote from: Zeno Marx on September 17, 2019, 08:24:17 PM
Went on a D-beat deep dive again.  C.U.M. (aka Cumbrage, that has quite a good full album that I didn't know existed), Time Square Preachers, Dismachine...Dis bands that would, funny and oddly enough, fall into that 2nd tier range.  Yeah, I can still do hours of Dis-bands and love every second of it.

Karst from California sounds like a slightly crusty, and more deathy, Unruh.  I've somewhat been waiting to hear Unruh influence from somewhere, and I think Karst are it.  I would guess they don't know it, so it is likely my imagination.  I happen to love Unruh.  Not that it matters at all, but Unruh was like His Hero is Gone inasmuch as they were some of the most talented musicians with a punk background at the time and with good musical ears.  Undecided whether I like Karst all that much, but it was cool to think of them this way.

https://karstla.bandcamp.com/album/the-sword-and-the-martyr

Unruh definitely rules. I like a lot of the death/black influenced hardcore bands, but they're by far my favorite. Some Ire is really good too from similar sounding stuff.

Karst sounded interesting! I liked the gradual slowing down to diSEMBOWELMENT territory on that long track on bandcamp.

Zeno Marx

Massklat, Abuse, Greenscab, No Admission, Antabus, and then Bombstrike.  A few things with these:  1)  3-Way Cum is one of my favorite Swedish HC bands, so when I hear something that reminds me of them, it's a great day.  While Massklat is not like 3-Way Cum, the vocals are of the deeper variety.  Two very good EPs.  2)  Greenscab, which I think is the guy behind the Hepatit D label's band, has a decent 7" and a monotone album; definitely 2nd, or even 3rd tier Dis-, which has been fine with me.  3)  No Admission are good, but most of their output is on comps.  4)  I always really liked the first Bombstrike album, but by the time it was released, I was on the downside of that 2nd wave of Swedish HC sound.  Bands like Kontrovers and Acursed were the only ones holding my attention.  Now listening to what Bombstrike did after the first album in the first decade of the 2000s, they were doing that whole Skitsystem and Disfear thing better than Skitsystem or Disfear.  I didn't listen to it, but same goes for the Dödsdömd album.

Got a little sidetracked with the great Malicious Hate - Bring Forth Hate demo 1995, and then with the last two Phobia releases that I didn't know existed.  Say what you will, but Phobia is still making quality grind.

Finally, here's an article on the closing up of physical MRR.  Should probably go in the zine thread...if there is one.

https://theoutline.com/post/8002/maximum-rocknroll-record-archives-photo-essay?zd=2&zi=6frqjzpv
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Disregard/Disfornicate 1995 - went to this because I liked the Disregard tracks on the Distortion to Hell 3 comp, as they reminded me of 3-Way Cum a little - both are good, but as for Dis-, Disfornicate is the winner - nice split 7" here - I'll be finding everything else from both.

Disfornicate - Golden Age of Lies demo 1994 - more Dis- - the guitar tone is a little weak, but here we have a demo that is as long as many full lengths at 26 minutes that never lets up - good demo.

Disregard - No Regrets demo 1994 - more Dis- plus a little something else and more - deep vocals, and this has a different guy on vocals than the split 7" - I swear I recognize this voice - has some strange rocking elements...almost 90's hair metal or something - unique for sure, but also really good.

Amen (Finland) - a couple of their 7"s - best ExNxTx worship ever?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

V.T.R

Here's some fresh metalpunk/hardcore from Finland:

https://misericordehc.bandcamp.com/

Vinyl should be out later.

EDIT: Because it seems that all of my posts are just promoting stuff, I'd like add for the topic that I've been listening a lot of old Terveet Kädet lately :)

holy ghost

Sort of forgot about Sex Dwarf for a hot minute. Really liked that one LP I have and the 7", turns out they have a new single recorded in Japan, a new LP and a split with Paranoid. Just made a big order with Konton Crasher to get a hold of this stuff as well as the newer Paranoid records I'm missing.

I missed Paranoid live last time they were here due to a vacation I booked and really regret it.

urall

Quote from: holy ghost on October 14, 2019, 06:01:46 PM
Sort of forgot about Sex Dwarf for a hot minute. Really liked that one LP I have and the 7", turns out they have a new single recorded in Japan, a new LP and a split with Paranoid. Just made a big order with Konton Crasher to get a hold of this stuff as well as the newer Paranoid records I'm missing.

I missed Paranoid live last time they were here due to a vacation I booked and really regret it.

i saw both a while ago with Zyanose. But boy, Sex Dwarf was a little toooo chaotic even for my liking. Paranoid on the other hand killed it (as did Zyanose).

holy ghost

Wow what a review! I think that sounds great - glad I ordered the new LP, sifting through for quality contemporary raw noise punk is indeed a challenge: Paranoid, Sex Dwarf, Zyanose, Kromosom, Contrast Attitude... I don't know Kriegshog well but am debating ordering a few records from them. Other than that I'm lost these days, way out of touch. I was checking out Electric Funeral but.... I get turned off when it's a one man band, and I'm wary of Southern Lord to deliver the goods.....

Edit: I see good things about B.E.T.O.E. as well but I've yet to track down any records.

Zeno Marx

I have a desire to explore new noisy punk and the now bastardized micro-genre of crasher crust, but when I attempt it, I quickly run out of steam.  There's so fucking much of it, and even with the bigger names that come from respected recommendations, I quickly lose interest.  A lot of the time, the noise doesn't create chaos or urgency.  It feels rote or gimmicky.  Not genuine or something.  Still, I do hammer at it now and then.  Physique is cool.  I'm lazy.  I let crust-demos spoon feed most of it to me.  http://crust-demos.blogspot.com/

Man...Contrast Attitude.  That LP smokes.  Was that their last great recording?

Dipfase - 3 Track EP 2019 - Indonesian Dis- - I didn't care for this as much as their 2018 EP - it feels like a one-man band, which is good to hear in 2019 - the guy loves Disclose.

Despair - Visions of the Inferno 2018 - Vancouver Dis- - I didn't think much of this as it started, but a few tracks in, I was loving the guitar tone and appreciating the vocals - good Dis- record.

Thorn - Bitter Potion 1995 - this is what Roy Mayorga (Nausea) was doing in the 90s - I like the She Rises Like The Sun 1993 CDEP quite a bit, but this album takes that less punk, more accessible thing further into the grunge, and adjacent, trends of the time; everything from the cover to the production to the other tricks makes me think they were looking for bigger payoff - there is some decent stuff here, but it also feels like it is trying to be something rather than it just happening - it's unfortunate that they couldn't expand on that CDEP feel without all this crap.

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 14, 2019, 11:27:42 PM
I have a desire to explore new noisy punk and the now bastardized micro-genre of crasher crust, but when I attempt it, I quickly run out of steam. 

It's kind of relieving for me because after you hit up Disclose/Gai/Confuse/Gloom/Swedish classic stuff etc you realize no ones ever going to top that shit. There's a few bands I follow and buy records from like Sex Dwarf etc and occasionally a true banger pops out of nowhere like the ROHT LP Iron Lung did last year.... but like I don't have time to be "a d-beat/raw punk" person like just gimmie the cream of the crop and I'll stick to the classics when the mood strikes.

holy ghost

Frankly I'd be really happy if there was a resurgence in bands that sound like MASSKONTROLL playing that slower stuff, now that's the sort of stuff that gets my outboard motor crankin'. Fuck these super reverbed vocals, let's move into punishing bass territory. I rarely if ever go back to the other Portland stuff like Resist, Detestation, but that MASSKONTROLL did it perfectly.

I love that it was recorded at Smegma studios too - I would have had no idea who Smegma were in my teens but I LIVED that "Will You Ever Learn?" LP so hard and it all comes full circle sometimes.

urall

Quote from: holy ghost on October 15, 2019, 02:30:40 AM
Frankly I'd be really happy if there was a resurgence in bands that sound like MASSKONTROLL playing that slower stuff, now that's the sort of stuff that gets my outboard motor crankin'. Fuck these super reverbed vocals, let's move into punishing bass territory. I rarely if ever go back to the other Portland stuff like Resist, Detestation, but that MASSKONTROLL did it perfectly.

I love that it was recorded at Smegma studios too - I would have had no idea who Smegma were in my teens but I LIVED that "Will You Ever Learn?" LP so hard and it all comes full circle sometimes.

Check out this new Belgian band
https://www.facebook.com/Arrog%C3%A4nt-481116432381219/

i think they'll record soon as well.

Zeno Marx

Radio Raheem with more great reissues.  Best label running?  I can't wait for the Sarcasm in particular (never enough crossover in my life), but Insanity (thrash with ugly vocals) and The Psychos too.

https://deathwishinc.com/collections/radio-raheem

*you can check out all three releases on youtube.  RR didn't upload them, but samples are to be found.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Quote from: urall on October 15, 2019, 09:30:40 AM
Quote from: holy ghost on October 15, 2019, 02:30:40 AM

Check out this new Belgian band
https://www.facebook.com/Arrog%C3%A4nt-481116432381219/

i think they'll record soon as well.

Got this "liked" and I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up.

This week I took a few spins with the I dig nation demo by Confuse. I dig this band although by their later era it's a little too poppy for me. This demo is so friggin' savage though. Perfect production values.

thetenthousandthings

Gonna do my best here, but looking for some recommendations for fans of Fear of God and Genital Masticator - not that they're entirely similar but essentially wanting to fill my ears with more dare I say 'hateful' or 'sinister' thrashy hardcore. They both have fairly typical hardcore punk riffs offset noisecore blasts. Would love to hear some mid-late 80's / early 90's raw fastcore type stuff. I'm very into Dropdead, which was the only band I could think of, but there's gotta be some low key gems from that time.

Specifically hoping to hear of bands who don't have any noisecore at all - just super raw, lo-fi fast hardcore... no powerviolence either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDYsx2szR4
Particularly 9:16 (the whole tape is ace though)

Euro Trash Bazooka

You may want to check Hail Of Rage or Dissension then.

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/