Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Quote from: W.K. on July 04, 2019, 02:37:30 AMGreat to see Counterblast mentioned, always seen them as poor mans Neurosis. Their Prospects 7" is killer.
Did you feel this way from the beginning?  I didn't get the overt Neurosis vibe until Impassivity, which I can still sometimes enjoy.  After that, they were simply too heavy-handed with that influence.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

impulse manslaughter

Saw Loose Nukes live a few weeks ago. Great energetic hardcore..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GiblUuNLv0

impulse manslaughter

Also really like this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4C5c0exEg (Matrix)

Demo from last year is now available on vinyl..

Zeno Marx

Quote from: W.K. on July 04, 2019, 11:38:11 PM
Can't say because Impassivity was their first for me. The first is definitely more fresh to my ears, it's much faster while still have this dreadful vibe to it.
That first Counterblast album is a testament to the time.  Being within some proximity, but nowhere near inside, the confluence of the Profane Existence and Skuld worlds, it was surprising how black metal took crust by storm and hit many black uniforms like a ton of bricks.  Speaking purely of the music (though, the conversation could go well beyond that), Balance of Pain is a product, and a great one at that, of exactly what was happening to the crustier side of punk.  The Swedes were the first voice of that whole thing, and then it trickled down and out.  I could be projecting, but Counterblast made perfect sense at the time, and because it came from some older heads, it was much more acceptable to many.  It's too bad someone of the caliber of say Stuart Schrader didn't write an article just on that album and the black metal phenomenon in punk in the middle 90s.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

tiny_tove

Quote from: W.K. on July 04, 2019, 02:37:30 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 04, 2019, 11:37:57 PM
A month or two ago I was digging deep into Napalm Death and revisiting Meathook Seed, Godflesh, Decree (the MIGHTY) and maybe a thing or two in that realm.  In the past couple weeks, Negative Insight* has been pushing a conversation elsewhere about "industrial crust".

Great article, thanks. Great to see Counterblast mentioned, always seen them as poor mans Neurosis. Their Prospects 7" is killer.

Dead World - all but their very first 7" - a Relapse band - I've always like this band a lot, but I also tend to be a Jonathan Canady fan - Collusion and The Machine never got the talk they deserved; not sure why - while not crusty, they were definitely metal and riffy, but they also had some decent, topical lyrics. For example, check out "Saturnalia" off Collusion - by their 2nd release, The Machine, they'd moved more industrial, but there's also some nice tribalism in there too. Segments of "Lies" remind me of Roy/Nausea. Never hear anyone talk about Dead World, but I like them more than Pitchshifter and as much as a lot of this other stuff.

counterblast featured two members of cold meat industry's Sanctum

Maybe due to the vocals - the singer wants to sound sinister but doesn't really pull it off while most other bands have a direct fronting vocal barrage going on. I don't like it either.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

Never heard that Sanctum.*  So strange to be involved in bands I like so much, to be on a label that is central to my listening history, and to be interested in a style...yet never heard any mention of Sanctum in all those conversations and dives.  Cool too, though.  Thanks.  Already found one track that could be considered industrial crust adjacent.

*Wrong.  In 2016, Terminal Sound Nuisance blog mentioned Sanctum.  That's when I first heard the connexion, but I guess I forgot about it and never looked into them.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

magnus

Regarding Counterblast - I remember when the first tape was released and it was a little bit of a shock. They were very much regarded as a continuation of the very-fast band G-anx, but now it was instead very-slow... They always mentioned Amebix as a big influence though, even if you maybe could not hear it in the psychedelic grindcore that was the anx/ducks trademark.
I also got a 7" and saw them play once or twice, never really knew they soldiered on for so long.
- By the way, punk/hc is generally doing really well at the moment, so many great current bands. To me much better then in "my time" (mid-90s).
I also saw Loose Nukes awhile ago, brilliant. And their other band Machine gun. Just two of many, many!

impulse manslaughter

Yes, I saw Machinegun as well. Liked their 7", live they were okay.. not too memorable.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Machine Gun and especially Loose Nukes played killer gigs here, like we hadn't seen in a loooong time. I think the last time I saw hardcore bands that good was when Career Suicide did their reunion tour.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

breidahl

Quote from: magnus on July 05, 2019, 10:48:33 PM
- By the way, punk/hc is generally doing really well at the moment, so many great current bands. To me much better then in "my time" (mid-90s).
I also saw Loose Nukes awhile ago, brilliant. And their other band Machine gun. Just two of many, many!
I don't know... I think the last many years have been plagued with way too many wannabee USHC/"NYHC" bands from Europe. I also come from the mid/late '90s scene and I guess that there wasn't that much "real hardcore" band then. But the ones that were back then were much better than the scene from places like UmeƄ and Holland that is nowadays.

moozz

Does anyone know why Dead Kennedys' Jock-O-Rama is retitled as Macho Rama on some version of Frankenchrist? They have even changed the word in the chorus.

absurdexposition

Quote from: moozz on July 09, 2019, 05:59:50 PM
Does anyone know why Dead Kennedys' Jock-O-Rama is retitled as Macho Rama on some version of Frankenchrist? They have even changed the word in the chorus.

I found info on that a few years ago, and it was because at that time the term "jock" wasn't very well known outside of North America so they "rebranded" it for the international market.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

APPLE

The friendship between Final Solution and Sheer Terror is well known. I'll note here that the lyrics to 'Women's Rights' on the 'Mass Death' CD shares a phrase with the live into to 'Just Can't Hate Enough'.

'...rights? I'll give you a right, a left and a kick to the fucking head.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlWRhLtQ6Hs

SHUT UP, PUNK!!!!

Zeno Marx

Jesus Chrust - I'm Nailed Right In 1991

I don't know what you call this.  I used to think of it as noisecore, but that isn't entirely accurate.  Their Blasphemy 7" is a bit more hardcore and not as good.  It's good, but it doesn't have the same truly weirdo vibe INRI does.  This is caveman shit.  One of my favorite 7"s.  When I listen to this, I want to hear Confusion - Hopeless and vice versa.  One of those Charlie Infection/Johnny X moments of brilliance.

I still miss getting Fudgeworthy and Ax/ction distro flyers in the mail.  Someone should do a zine, or even a coffee table art book, of just their flyers...if anyone still has them.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

breidahl

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 15, 2019, 11:01:36 PM
Jesus Chrust - I'm Nailed Right In 1991

I don't know what you call this.  I used to think of it as noisecore, but that isn't entirely accurate.  Their Blasphemy 7" is a bit more hardcore and not as good.  It's good, but it doesn't have the same truly weirdo vibe INRI does.  This is caveman shit.  One of my favorite 7"s.  When I listen to this, I want to hear Confusion - Hopeless and vice versa.  One of those Charlie Infection/Johnny X moments of brilliance.

I still miss getting Fudgeworthy and Ax/ction distro flyers in the mail.  Someone should do a zine, or even a coffee table art book, of just their flyers...if anyone still has them.
Yeah, Ax/cion Records! The Audio Espionage 8" introduced me to much great noisecore, noise, death metal, and grindcore back in the day with tracks from Gonkulator, Deceased, Bastard Noise, Malicious Hate, and Ulcer. I think the reason why it ended up in the local distro was because it has tracks by Disjoin, a Danish grindcore project with a guy that was known from a radio show that played many great death metal and hardcore bands back in the day.

It's also great that the Audio Espionage 8" is on the eight-inch format like the Japanese records like Who the Helpless by Kuro (just to be a record collecting geek).