Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: totalblack on January 16, 2019, 02:07:53 AM
Quote from: holy ghost on January 16, 2019, 01:28:15 AM
Uranus

Canadian classics!!!

Yes! Going to assume both of you to celebrate the One Eyed God Prophecy as I do...

holy ghost

Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on January 16, 2019, 02:40:16 AM
Uranus

Canadian classics!!!

Yes! Going to assume both of you to celebrate the One Eyed God Prophecy as I do...

Oh yeah - great LP. I'll pass on the Born Dead Icons, however....

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: holy ghost on January 16, 2019, 03:17:27 AM
Uranus

Canadian classics!!!

Gotta disagree with you there. Have always loved BDI. Still own all of their stuff and, funny enough, the singer lives in the flat above mine.   

absurdexposition

Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on January 16, 2019, 04:06:33 AM
Uranus

Canadian classics!!!

Gotta disagree with you there. Have always loved BDI. Still own all of their stuff and, funny enough, the singer lives in the flat above mine.  

I know there's lots of love for them here in Montreal, but Born Dead Icons on that Bolt Thrower / Razor / Abyss gig in London, ON a couple years back... painfully boring!
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 16, 2019, 05:07:09 AM
Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on January 16, 2019, 04:06:33 AM
Uranus

Canadian classics!!!

I know there's lots of love for them here in Montreal, but Born Dead Icons on that Bolt Thrower / Razor / Abyss gig in London, ON a couple years back... painfully boring!
Reunion gig? hahaha I can't say that surprises me at all but I stand by the recorded material.

holy ghost

That reunion show was very bad but I'd never clicked with them previously either. I'd seen them in Toronto once or twice I think too "back in the day" and never clicked then either.

Thinking about BDI - they were on "Dead Alive" Records - I know they folded rather quickly but I ordered from them quite a bit and remember loving that Degenerics LP - I'll have to pull that one out and see how it holds up. And the Think I Care LP - I remember that one point that band was absolutely great.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: holy ghost on January 16, 2019, 01:24:30 AM
Barcelona from Barcelona are really great - I'm certain I've mentioned them before but their stuff takes the Italian HC formula and drenches it in feedback and then add a wild out of control drummer to the mix. Definitely not dis-clone noisy  but real raw and both LPs are awesome.
I've heard the Extremo Nihilismo album, but not their 7" or newer album.  I like their sense of album art on top of it all.  I've heard the 2nd album is a bit more arty.  The vocalist is rabid.  Great energy.  Thanks for the reminder.

In sheer volume, the 90s is loaded with greats.

At the time, I was a bit disappointed with One Eyed God Prophecy, but now, I don't feel that way at all.  I can listen to that all day long.  Same with Drift.

I could never get into Born Dead Icons, but that could all be different now.  I should revisit them.  I seem to remember one of the albums really standing out?

edit:  went down a little rabbit hole with Barcelona...then Anarquía Vertical and Disface.  Such urgent, angry, out of the ordinary hardcore with...I don't know...arty/creative and weirdly churning guitars and sense of song.  That'll probably turn people off to trying them, but I hope not.  So, so good.  As I remembered, the vocalist comes across as truly indignant...hardcore on 11.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

yosef666

Went to see Lebenden Toten last Friday in LA, first time seeing them play in 8 years or so. Still excellent, one of the best noise punk bands around. 9 Shocks Terror played too, which was great but very strange. Hadn't seen them in maybe 15 years? I don't even know if/when they're playing other gigs.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

holy ghost

I sold a lot of my Ebullition records but went on a YouTube binge - Struggle, Downcast, etc. I don't think I regret selling these as it was definitely a very specific sound I don't gravitate to. My favourite release of theirs is definitely the Spitboy/Crudos material. The Crudos material is obviously great but the Spitboy material is fucking great too. Definitely a band that was really pushing boundaries, musically and politically. That LP was one of the first "real" hardcore records I bought and it really resonates well.

I also have a bunch of other 90's stuff on my listening pile, In/Humanity 1st LP, Monster X, I need to do a real run through of my 7"s and pull out some zingers. One band I always loved visually was Devoid of Faith - I flipped all those as well but I think a Youtube runthrough would be sufficient.

One LP I legit regret flipping was the Food Not Bombs Benefit LP - there was some seriously raging screamo shit on there.

impulse manslaughter

I love Devoid Of Faith!

Cdan

Born Against, Citizens Arrest, Rorschach

Throw Life's Blood, Absolution, and some other odds and ends from 88-91 and you're really cooking with fire.

Here's a sick double EP from Norway in the late 90's that never quite got it's due. Always kinda reminded me of Born Against and some of the more melodic qualities of HHIG. Definitely has some kind of "emotive" riffing but is still firmly a hardcore record.

Jin'Rik'Sha 2x7"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtqtkgT9vcY

Also recommend other contemporaneous NO business like Kort Prosess, Alltid Jaget, and raging older bands like So Much Hate, and Kafka Prosess.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Cdan on January 17, 2019, 08:11:14 AM
Born Against, Citizens Arrest, Rorschach

Throw Life's Blood, Absolution, and some other odds and ends from 88-91 and you're really cooking with fire.

Here's a sick double EP from Norway in the late 90's that never quite got it's due. Always kinda reminded me of Born Against and some of the more melodic qualities of HHIG. Definitely has some kind of "emotive" riffing but is still firmly a hardcore record.

Jin'Rik'Sha 2x7"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtqtkgT9vcY

Also recommend other contemporaneous NO business like Kort Prosess, Alltid Jaget, and raging older bands like So Much Hate, and Kafka Prosess.
Absolutely agree.  Heartfirst was a really good label with great aesthetic for its Norwegian HC releases.  I've felt that Kort Process and the Norwegian melodic sound, along with the Result (Japan) album, were key influences in where Tragedy and Union of Uranus found their footing.  If writing a history of hardcore in the 90s, I feel it necessary to mention Heartfirst because of the Norwegian HC releases in particular and this notion of their influence in one of the biggest bands, and most prolific styles, to come out of that decade.  Would their be eurocrust, or was it epicrust, without those Heartfirst releases and those bands?

As an aside, Finland's Unkind went from rather generic epicrust (Mieliemme Tuhkasta, Ei Mitään) to using that sound to make an album or two of interesting and very good albums (Hangen Syliin especially and Yhteiskunnan Pikkuvikoja lesser so).  Unkind also incorporated Swedish HC trends of the time more and more.  Sort of in the direction of the great Livet Ar Den Langsta Vagen Till Helvetet.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

If you like the polished, metallic sound of classic Polish punk, ala Post Regiment etc, a really good album from 2018 was Morus - Ciało Obce.  Members of a bunch of bands, including Post Regiment.  Great female vocals.  I forgot it off my "best of 2018" list.  I like it quite a bit more than their demo from 2016.

Kieltolaki - Elämänvalhe 2018 - one of my favorite hardcore bands from Finland.  Didn't know this was released until yesterday.  High quality EP.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Cdan

Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 18, 2019, 11:50:28 PM
If you like the polished, metallic sound of classic Polish punk, ala Post Regiment etc, a really good album from 2018 was Morus - Ciało Obce.  Members of a bunch of bands, including Post Regiment.  Great female vocals.  I forgot it off my "best of 2018" list.  I like it quite a bit more than their demo from 2016.

I'll definitely give this a listen, Post Regiment is a favorite from years back for certain.