Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Quote from: urall on December 06, 2018, 12:28:04 AM
i love Yacöpsae, Stack, Carol and all those bands. My last band even covered Stack's 'Intransigent'.

some more fast unknown (perhaps ?) German bands should you not be familiar yet
- Hartsoeker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=jQsQld0CwE8
- Luzifers Mob - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dltcKHvtOY
- Pink Flamingos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6hNJW9gWrU
I'm familiar with Luzifer's Mob and Pink Flamingos.  The Luzifer's 7" is a standout of the 90s.  It flat-out smokes.  Their Closer Your Eyes tracks are a little rougher.  The split with Golgatha isn't quite up to that speed, but I that is a very good album regardless.  That Plot comp was such a quality marker, for as much as a single LP can be, for the German scene at the time.  I'm glad you mentioned them.  I didn't realize there was a discography out.  I hadn't heard of Hartsoeker though.  New to me.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Decrepitude

The Eyehatelucy/Hartsoeker split is really good although I like the EHL side more. Lots of other great bands mentioned, have to check out Carol and Pink Flamingos. tUMULt is a great fast german band also.

Zeno Marx

Got stuck on DxRxIx Crossover and Excel Split Image and The Joke's on You the past few days.  Crossover is one of those perfect albums for me.  I like everything up through 4 of a Kind, but Crossover hit me square-on at the time.  Even the graphicy and odd cover hit me right.  I can't believe I cannot find a Crossover T-shirt or even a Crossover patch.  I don't wear band shirts anymore, but I was so deep the other day that I wanted a shirt anyway.  I never really went past 4 of a Kind, but I found myself enjoying Thrashzone purely on the merits of Felix and Spike's playing styles.  The songs aren't that great, and Kurt is far too wordy for those songs.  Still, Spike's playing is so incredibly smooth, and Felix was full of interesting ideas and his signature fills.  I've never heard anything beyond that, but I plan to remedy that.  Which leads me to The Joke's on You.  Most point to Excel's tracks on Welcome to Venice and Split Image, which are both great as well, but in a similar vein to Crossover, The Joke's on You is sharp in every way.  I just love that album.  Next stop was DrxKnow Wreckage in Flesh.  Then The Accused - Martha Splatterhead's Maddest Stories Ever Told.  I think of these four albums in the same gulp...there's Crossover...then a stutter as I marvel at it...and then The Joke's on You, Wreckage in Flesh, and Martha Splatterhead's Maddest Stories Ever Told in an unsteady succession.  It's that crossover guitar tone that also has a heaviness to it that is unique.  Wreckage in Flesh is such a battering thunderstorm of ideas and high quality.

Next stop was all things Holy Terror...but that is for another thread.  They did a tour with DxRxIx to support Mind Wars.  They stopped all those punks in their tracks. 
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

I've really come around on Thrash Zone - I used to write it off that it wasn't fast enough, or near in quality to Dealing With It or Crossover - totally agree on all counts about how great Crossover is - been a consistent fav around these parts for as long as I can remember. Somehow I kept Thrash Zone, sold all my Municipal Waste records and flipped Four of a Kind. Thankfully it's not "in demand" so I'll probably rebuy it if I see it and try again.

I fished out my Septic Death Records recently. I remember these records were always so highly priced and huge eBay sellers and I barely remember them. They're..... okay - I'd never flip them but I doubt I'd come back to that often. I'd honestly say I hadn't listened to them since the 90's.

Raw Power's Scream From The Gutter is never far from my recentl listening pile but I went apeshit on it recently and played it a couple times a day for a week. For my money, the best Italian hardcore record ever made and up there as a top 5 hardcore record of all time.

Zeno Marx

The thing about Thrashzone that is clearly different than past DxRxIx albums is that Spike is now playing a different style of riff.  It's more chugga-chugga-chugga picking, rather than his sweeping, seamlessly smooth style of riffing that was the cornerstone of Crossover and most of 4 of a Kind.  If I was a guitarist, I'd know what these styles are called.  One is clearly defined movement, whereas the other is this flowing movement up and down the fret board.  That's how I hear it anyway.

Septic Death is a weird one to me.  I wanted to hear them because of Pushed and Puszone.   Skate Rock Volume 3 - Wild Riders Of Boards was a teaser with "Burial" and "Thaw".  That's where I first heard them, and it was taken from mystique to reality.  When I finally heard them in more quantity, there wasn't as much impact as I thought there would be.  Point being, I can see why they don't get a lot of listening.  Give me a couple of songs as a reminder, and then move onto something else.

edit:  Italian HC.  I was so late to it.  Raw Power would have been first exposure.  They had US distribution, but I never ran into their albums.  You weren't going to run into a Declino record.  I can only imagine how taken I would have been seeing the Screaming record cover.  I would have certainly saved for it and bought it, but it never passed through my fingers.  So many bands and styles were made regional because of distribution and record store availability.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Showtime recently ran four music documentaries.  Jeff Beck.  Korn.  GG Allin.  Agnostic Front.  Interesting group, but I think they were chosen as much for the style and perspective of documentary as the artists.  I've only watched a few minutes of the Agnostic Front, when they were following Stigma around his apartment building and his neighborhood.  Been listening to a bunch of AF and a little Madball.  I like Matt Henderson as a NYHC guitarist.  It's too bad One Voice has such wonky drum production.  That's something I personally can't handle too well.  AF has had weird drum production all the way back from Cause for Alarm, but this is too much.  The Ball of Destruction 7" has some of my favorite HC mastering.  Fine granules and raw.  They did a decent job on the CD reissues, but if you want to hear that material in all its glory, you have to listen to the 7".  However, the bonus WFMU tracks on the CD are great and make the CD worth hearing.  The Droppin' Many Suckers MLP is better than I remembered it.  I found it interesting because I absolutely fucking HATE the hippidy-hoppidy HC beat so prevalent in so much NYHC metal/metalcore in the 90s, yet because of the slower tempos on this MLP, they aren't such a distracting annoyance.  As much as I can tell, Biohazard put that crap in play.  I don't think I've ever heard Set It Off, and because I know that beat is probably everywhere on it, I'm hesitant to try it.

Did anyone buy themselves a Cro-Mags x-mas crewneck sweatshirt?  Check out Harley's instagram to see it.  I found it genuinely funny.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

impulse manslaughter

My favourite new hardcore band is Geld from Australia; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqg64VLEf4

Raw, primitive & fast!

absurdexposition

Not like I forgot how good it was or anything, but this came up while my phone was on shuffle today and I was instantly reminded of how it's one of the best punk/hardcore/pv records of this century: https://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/hemorrhaging-light-lp-lungs-054
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

I'll have to check out that Agnostic Front documentary - I'd be very interested in seeing it. I'm an "early stuff only" kind of fellow - I picked up the No One Rules LP with the Don Fury sessions a couple of years ago and I don't know if I even spun it more than once. I feel like it's been years since I even gave this band the slightest bit of attention. Really a case where their longevity as a band dampens any interest in their historical relevance. Which is a real shame. I'll have to break out that bootleg LP I have and give it a spin.

I went through a real phase of relistening to the first couple Dillinger Four LPs - at one point this was the only "pop punk" band that mattered to me. They toured with Leagerface in 2000 or so - I caught like four shows on that tour. Their excessive use of sound bytes hasn't aged well but fuck me this band could write a goddamned hook. I totally fell off after Vs. God though. Definitely a once a year sort of band.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: holy ghost on December 19, 2018, 01:31:56 AM
I went through a real phase of relistening to the first couple Dillinger Four LPs - at one point this was the only "pop punk" band that mattered to me. They toured with Leagerface in 2000 or so - I caught like four shows on that tour. Their excessive use of sound bytes hasn't aged well but fuck me this band could write a goddamned hook. I totally fell off after Vs. God though. Definitely a once a year sort of band.
Good people.  Great shows.  I've never heard them outside of live.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

I don't follow Russian music much.  I know almost nothing about Russian punk.  I'm interested now that I'm pretty jazzed about Fatum and Distress.

What I do recognize is that Fatum is a good, sharply capable band.  You can tell they, or someone(s) in the band, have a great ear for homage and mimicry.  They seem like a band that is having fun, playing their influences.  That's not to say they aren't serious in their pursuits, though.  They wouldn't get the results if they were just screwing around.  Their 2018 album, Edge of the Wild, is my favorite so far.  It's a combination of Venom/Cronos vocals with a good dose of Nausea/Roy drumming and Nausea songs and feel.  Check out the album opener.  Whoever does their production, and possibly the same person/people with that smart ear, really knows how to get a sound.  I sense the singer is one of those people who can do impressions.  If you listen to this new album, and then go back and listen to their Hellhammer and Bathory covers, you can tell he has a talent for mimicking a voice.  They're thorough.  They also have a cool Sedition/Scatha/Scottish visual aesthetic that I appreciate.

New to me, though they just celebrated a 15 year anniversary, is Distress.  I have to mention them in the same frame as Fatum because they also have a great ear for sound.  That talent stands out.  I haven't heard everything they've done, but so far, I've heard high quality Dis- and 90's Swedish HC.  I'm liking what I've heard a lot.  I sort of went down a hole with the Distress members, checking out Cyanide and Karzer; both being quality as well.

Any other bands that stand out to you?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

I bought a PLL and that's taken me on a total youtube trip back in time to The Locust - I loved that 7" and the split with MITB but sort of fell off after the first LP - but holy fuck it's shocking how great they sound 20 years later. Also crazy that they toured with Assuck in 1998-ish. I saw them in the suburbs at a community centre in the suburbs on that tour (my dad had to drive me out there!!) and damn. Their newer records are GREAT. I picked up Plague Soundscapes and New Erections and I've been fucking loving them. Gotta track down the rest of the post 2000 splits and shit now. I don't love all the screechy vocals but the musicianship on these records is so tight. It's especially surprising how their less grindy stuff is so cool.

That took me to Melt Banana who I also used to love a ton. Played that Slap-a-Ham 7" and the record that came with the temporary tattoo. I haven't checked out anything past 2002 or so and I plan on hitting the ol' Youtube tomorrow to check out some newer stuff.

Zeno Marx

RE:  noisy punk...

I'm pretty much okay with the noisy punk trend of the last few years.  I don't have a huge appetite for it, though.  Good thing it didn't happen twenty years ago.  I think the key to it standing out is the drummer.  Needs lots of fills.  LOTS...OF...FILLS.  Like Frigora's 12".  Listened to Physique's last couple of records.  Punk Life is Shit is a good example of how it works well.  Any other examples like that?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Barcelona from Barcelona are really great - I'm certain I've mentioned them before but their stuff takes the Italian HC formula and drenches it in feedback and then add a wild out of control drummer to the mix. Definitely not dis-clone noisy  but real raw and both LPs are awesome.

When I was in Hungary last year I saw a show where Suicidas played and they share the same bass player, unbeknownst to me until I was chatting with them, he was super nice but seemed kind of baffled that I was so into his other, super noisy band.....

holy ghost

Been on a total bender for Born Against, Citizens Arrest, Rorschach, Uranus, His Hero Is Gone and dabbling with a little Moss Icon to throw a little emo into things lately. The 90's may not have a favourable nostalgia the 80's do for hardcore but they managed to crank out a few RAGERS here and there.