Punk/Hardcore

Started by Reprobate, March 23, 2012, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urall

Quote from: Marko-V on December 09, 2016, 08:38:40 PM
New mini-album 'Kuka Hyötyy' by Perikato sounds a real blast. Reminds me of something like Kansan Uutiset, early Äpärät, Sekunda & bits of early Napalm Death mixed together. Fans of furious Finnish hardcore take notice.
https://soundcloud.com/svart-records/perikato-kuka-hyotyy-lpcd-sampler

Totally sounds like Kirous although more chaotic. Not bad.

Marko-V

Yeah, that chaotic element makes them stand above the rest.

Zeno Marx

Dom Dar - Machines Way + Skrattar Bast Som 1994 - Swedish crust (actual crust, not HC) - I must have heard them at some point, but I don't remember anything like what I heard today; maybe a comp track or something? - interesting, catchy, heavyish crust with lots of ideas and a comedic vibe (at least I think so) - I really enjoyed this album - the Skrattar 12" is more HC and straight-forward; not nearly as good, but also quirky.
Dom Dar - Revolution/Stench of Decay 1991 - Swedish crust (actual crust, not HC) - more really good stuff like Machines Way.
Man is the Bastard - The Lost Sessions 2015 - this stuff is on point. "Long Pig" is amazing. Do they perform this live? They could have done a full, fully satisfying set of just this and "Moloch". The quasi-power-electronics "Whistle Blower" is done really well. That's some great material.
Loud Pipes - The Downhill Blues 1997 - Swedish HC - supergroup of Merciless, Unleashed, and a few others - good Swedish HC ala the period - a couple Motorhead-like songs that aren't my thing, but a good album and band that I'd not heard of until now.
============================
Result.  Man, fucking Result.  The album.  Talk about something that could use a reissue or web release.

This should be on my Best of Japanese HC list.  I'm lame for forgetting it all the time.  So much going on here.  Really interesting and passionate HC (Takeshi/CFDL as fierce and fun as ever).  Until one of the Tragedy guys tells me different, I have to think this was an influence on them.  Between this album and Norwegian HC, you have 95% of their sound.  So few copies made it to the USA.  The packaging is interesting, too.  Delicate black textured paper of a 2/3 fold, like a budget 7", but clearly not cheap looking with silver ink and a nice A5 booklet.  Pressing of 500?  At the time, couldn't give my three distro copies, and then when I finally got rid of them, I never heard a word about it or them...or really from anyone, including the horde of Japanophiles.  Did any of the other three members play in other bands (besides Why? with Takeshi)?  This album was so chock full of influences and executed at such a high level.  Anyone know more details on this recording?  Insights to what they were listening to at the time, what they were going for, etc?  I'd love to know the story on this thing.

Reminds me other unique and accomplished albums like Shikabane's Why Do You Live?  or even Acursed's Livet Är Den Längsta Vägen Till Helvetet.  Albums that don't fit into anything, that come from elsewhere, and that smoke with ingenuity and quality.  Other albums you might add to that group?

Since posting this elsewhere, I found out the guitarist then played in Muga, which makes perfect sense.  I always thought Muga was borrowing from Tragedy, but it quite possibly might be the opposite.  I now want to dig back into the Muga discography.  I was also told that Result was influenced by Sedition and Scatha, which also makes some sense once you factor that into the artwork.  I've yet to re-listen to the album with that ear.  Sedition, Scatha, etc were said to be huge in Japan, but you don't readily hear the influence.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

tiny_tove

listening a lot the very first all pigs must die lp...
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

a little more Swedish listening...

Dodsdomd - Samhallets Fiender Nummer Ett 2003 - good album, and coming from a time when that sound was worn out by a few years.
Krigshot - Terroristattack 1997 - could never get into this band.
Kurbits I.R - Inget Liv 1996 - really good thrash.
Kurbits I.R - Skane Swedish Attacks 1997 - a messier Cryptic Slaughter. Two 7"s. Nailed 'em. Disappear. In that first Rytmihairio 12" Cryptic thrash tradition. Any other bands like that?

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

I had that Kurbits IR 7" on 625 - I know it did not survive the great 7" purge of the mid 2000's but I remember it being pretty good....

I have been reviewing that Asocial DLP on FOAD and what a rager. I don't know how familiar I was with the material outside of Det Bittra Slutet 7" and the Religion Sucks EP, but the Asocial Attack side is just.... holy shit what a perfect set of songs. The whole collection is great and I ordered the Asocial "Religion Sucks" LP and the new Crude SS from Havoc Records last week so round of my collection.... hopefully those arrive this week. I didn't order those Varukers reissues he's done and I kind of regret it now.....

My default Finland LP is "Schizophrenia" by Riistetyt - what a perfect sounding record. There's something about that Finnish stuff, especially the Kaaos "Nuuke" EP & Ristiinnaulittu Kaaos MLP that just hit the mark so perfectly for me. Felix Havoc has done the world a great service by keeping those in print forever and a day.....

Zeno Marx

When it comes to Finnish punk and HC, I always find myself back at Kaaos.  One of my favorite HC bands in general.  Gotta love Havoc and the way he continues to try to keep to an older philosophy.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Prank has been working on a Septic Death 2LP for years (different than any other).  I don't think Prank has been discouraged by the delays, so I would count on it happening at some point.  Unfortunately, none of these things, including the Prank release, will be a complete discography.  It seems that Pushead either doesn't want such a thing to exist or doesn't see the point in one existing.  He's a game player like Stapleton.

Here's a link to the Crossed Out Twice lossless rip (and seeded):  http://www.punktorrents.com/thread-128419.html
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check this out. I have the Attention LP, Kichigai 7" and the "Desperate For Attention" 7" that came with a zine, but my collection is missing A LOT. There's always so much weirdness around the Pusmort/Bacteria Sour catalog and what's what. So many different versions of "Attention" that are just different mixes? What is this shit....

One of the highlights of the Bacteria Sour catalog is the Damad "Rewind/Manmade" 7". Really great record from a band I always forget to revisit.

Zeno Marx

I wasn't so clear in my previous post.  Pushead purposely won't release a complete discography.  He knows exactly what he's doing, which is also why he has done so well in the crazy limited edition toy market in Japan.

Pushead was a big deal in general, but to us Thrasher heads, thus Puszone seat edgers, he was our answer to the internet and addendum to long thank you lists.  If he talked about it, it was worth hearing.  Like with most artists, it's been a disappointment to see how he fucks with his audience.  Septic Death shit was never that easy to find.  It wasn't ultra limited, but because of his large footprint, the demand was high.  When Southern distributed Attention on CD, it was needed.  Until then, Wild Riders of Boards was my taster.  Great comp.  Pivotal comp for me.

Yes, Damad.  I didn't get into them until they were gone.  Love it now.  I even like Karst, and they're half the band Damad was.  I'm even a big Kylesa fan (including the recent albums, but to a lesser degree).  I think what that group of people were doing was unique and really interesting.  I understand why a lot of people bag on Kylesa, and maybe rightly so, but I like their stuff a lot.  Pleasants writes some of the best riffs.  She has her go-to tricks, but I happen to like them.  Love the Mediterranean influence and have always wanted it to have a bigger presence.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 22, 2016, 08:03:09 PM
He still owes me stickers. I sent him stamps numerous times & never received ANYTHING.
He's a notorious rip off.  People sent him money and watched it get sucked into a black hole.  The excuses and apologists were neverending.  Big name.  Influential person in the lives of so many.  Like it is some kind of justifiable trade-off that because you loved X, Y, Z about him, it was okay for him to never send you anything.  Or that he's this eccentric artist who has no organizational skills etc, it's "funny" that he never filled your order.  Yet, he had time to advertise for your money and interest.  I never sent him money.  He never ripped me off.  It's the type that causes such a strong reaction (like Rupenus etc).  Fuck that.  Fuck the apologists.  Fuck the excuses.  You advertised a product.  You cashed the check/deposited the money.  You have plenty of time to uphold your end of the contract.

I don't know why his website isn't more thorough, but I suspect it is the aforementioned organizational skills, time management, and the power of momentum.  He's probably not one of those artists who fits 26 hours into a day.  I'm not an artist, but I get being sloppy with time.  It's a real vice.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

MMMM

I have been enjoying this live set from Kickback a lot lately. 150 Passions era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXJmGdpladk

The hardcore equivalent of Final Solution? Both in terms of the band members' debauched lifestyles and the success with which their music captures the urban rot of their surroundings...

Quote from: tiny_tove on January 27, 2016, 10:23:46 PM
relistened husker dü.

I am so missing them

Unbeatable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_g50XhUeEY

Zeno Marx

I know we've talked about it at various points in this thread, but as I have been trying to go through 2016 to make a best of list, I've been pleasantly reminded of the good power-violence showing this year.  Am I missing anything?  Cave State's 2nd EP came out in 2015.

Burnout - s/t 2016 - nice to see this style still alive with at least a couple bands doing it justice (Cave State) - this doesn't have quite the precision heavy production of Wound Man.

Death Agonies - Final Recording 2016 - This is one of my favorite forms of power-violence.  Man is the Bastard style, with power-electronics, hardcore, and caveman crude hardcore.  *check out the Survivalist bandcamp page.  it's a web release.

Wound Man - Perimeter 2016 - quality power-violence with high-quality Sabbath-esque parts, ie "Temple".
Wound Man - Rolled 2016

Sex Prisoner - Tannhauser Gate 2016

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

absurdexposition

Sea of Shit's 2nd 7" was 2016, as was their split LP with Sick/Tired.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Zeno Marx

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 25, 2017, 08:43:50 PM
Sea of Shit's 2nd 7" was 2016, as was their split LP with Sick/Tired.
wish I liked their vocals
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.