Special Interest
November 26, 2020, 11:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62
  Print  
Author Topic: Punk/Hardcore  (Read 282417 times)
NerveGas

« Reply #870 on: June 30, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »

Going to crack into the Terveet Kädet boxset today. While they are one of my favorite bands, a 5 LP set has seemed a little daunting. Booklet looks great with lots of photos I had never seen, and I was pleased to to see a full color expanded version of the ass candle photo from Ääretön Joulu 7”. Quality stuff.

Pretty tapped-out on keeping up with stuff like this in punk/HC these days, but this is really cool to hear about. One of my all-time favourite groups.

I agree. Box set purchases, for myself, are reserved for all time favorite bands and TK certainly fit that bill. Such a great band on all levels. I picked up the Discharge box set a while back and I have to say I’m much more pleased with the TK one. Apples and oranges maybe, but there do seem to be a lot of 80s punk/HC box sets nowadays. Hard to keep up with/care about all of them.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #871 on: June 30, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »

The 2nd, and unreleased until now, Homomilitia album has been released.  If you liked the Lost album, I feel this is the missing piece.

https://sanctuspropaganda.bandcamp.com/album/s-t

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
holy ghost
Diehard user

« Reply #872 on: June 30, 2020, 09:00:11 PM »

New Barcelona 7" on LA VIDA ES UN MUS DISCOS is as good as I expected.

Oh very exciting! I’ll have to order this ASAP!
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #873 on: July 01, 2020, 06:36:31 PM »

RE:  Russian punk...

Наив (Naïve)

How is the Dehumanized States of America album?  The track I heard has a somewhat industrial busy feel to it, almost like a punkified Prong "Prove You Wrong" vibe to it.  Is that accurate?

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #874 on: July 15, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »

I wish Mortville had a blog for the sake better quality grabs.  I'm never going to own this, and it is plenty good enough to want at better than youtube.  This isn't punk, but there's no thrash thread.  Noisecore-stupid sensibilities on the low end and thrashy crossover on the high end, sort of like Lethal Aggression with more thrash.

Lappuss - "Content To Lick" Demo 1992, a thrash metal band from Williamsport, PA. “Content To Lick” was their only offering, released on cassette by Hellpit Productions in 1992.

https://youtu.be/F8nNLcXbv24

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
SILVUM
Heavy user

« Reply #875 on: July 15, 2020, 11:20:55 PM »

I wish Mortville had a blog for the sake better quality grabs.  I'm never going to own this, and it is plenty good enough to want at better than youtube.  This isn't punk, but there's no thrash thread.  Noisecore-stupid sensibilities on the low end and thrashy crossover on the high end, sort of like Lethal Aggression with more thrash.

Lappuss - "Content To Lick" Demo 1992, a thrash metal band from Williamsport, PA. “Content To Lick” was their only offering, released on cassette by Hellpit Productions in 1992.

https://youtu.be/F8nNLcXbv24

His instagram is worth investigating, his mini reviews are ultra enjoyable, I would add him in with, you, Mikko, Alan Cummings, James Hannah, Mason Jones, Autothrall, and a few others as - consistent and clear reviewer who even if you don't agree with, can see where they are coming from and they know what they are talking about, love his no nonsense weird dad vibe.  https://www.instagram.com/mortvillenoise/

Keruben

« Reply #876 on: July 15, 2020, 11:30:42 PM »

The best punk band over all time; is the almighty Rupture.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #877 on: July 15, 2020, 11:52:18 PM »

Saw this band when I was in Vancouver earlier this year and felt like I could have been watching Infest. They got that fast, angry no frills hardcore down pact. 4 minute demo tape? Into it. Put out on Slow Death which is basically the go-to place for regional British Columbia hardcore punk.

https://slow-death-records.bandcamp.com/album/blood-ties-demo

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #878 on: July 29, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »

Slave to the Grind doc. After around the end of the Terrorizer part, I don't get the organization. Some of those interviewed give off dark vibes.  Overall, which grind the makers chose to cover was maybe the most interesting aspect.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:45:56 PM by Zeno Marx » Logged

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
holy ghost
Diehard user

« Reply #879 on: July 29, 2020, 09:50:04 PM »

Slave to the Grind doc. After around the end of the Terrorizer part, I don't get the organization. Some of those interviewed give off dark vibes.  Overall, which grind the makers chose to cover was maybe the most interesting aspect.

Doug is a great guy and very passionate about grind so even if I didn’t agree with all the interview choices I enjoyed it for what it was. However that sentiment does not apply to Jon Chang, who gives off huge douche vibes with every word that comes out of his mouth...
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #880 on: August 01, 2020, 11:33:37 PM »

I've been an SDS fanatic since the first note.  These are some solid VHS transfers.  And c'mon...CFDL and Iconoclast?!  Abraham Cross was such an interesting, powerful band.  These are all great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwtZGJRD0KoRQlrP5dKBShQ/videos

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
theworldisawarfilm
user

« Reply #881 on: August 02, 2020, 08:22:19 PM »

I've been an SDS fanatic since the first note.  These are some solid VHS transfers.  And c'mon...CFDL and Iconoclast?!  Abraham Cross was such an interesting, powerful band.  These are all great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwtZGJRD0KoRQlrP5dKBShQ/videos

This is great, thanks! Have always loved Abraham Cross' Kosmische/Kraut-influenced sound. Genius shit.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #882 on: August 07, 2020, 08:50:39 PM »

Zer uploaded a bunch of Guillotine Terror.  The first album has a cool DxRxIx Crossover guitar sound to it. I wouldn't say it is crossover, but that tone is.

"They sound like SDS." "No, they don't. Not really."

With less cheese and licking, and with SDS in their faster moments in mind, Guillotine Terror - Japanese Corruption 1994 reminds me more of SDS than many bands sold under the SDS likeness.

I thought I was just grabbing some Japanese whatever for reference because I (wrongly) thought they were on the MCR Deadly Sins CD, but this is fun stuff.  They're in that Beyond Description realm.  Or Slang too.  Changing directions.  Escape categorization.  Adept.

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #883 on: August 13, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »

Third World Planet (Eric Boros/Hermit)...

Had to switch things up from Guillotine Terror and Rapoon with World Waste, their first tape.  This band was really good from the git-go.  When wishing for a comprehensive Hermit bandcamp or archive.org page, I'd hope for Third World Planet to be included.  They sometimes get labeled as power-violence, but that's not very accurate.  They aren't out there or whacky either, so hardcore is a more apropos.  Wouldn't want anyone to get turned off if they hadn't heard them.  This tape has a woman on vocals, and she adds a great texture.  I tend to forget how much they did.  I think of them as only having an LP and a 7", but they recorded a fair bit.  I wish I had more.

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #884 on: August 13, 2020, 07:50:05 PM »

Third World Planet (Eric Boros/Hermit)...

Had to switch things up from Guillotine Terror and Rapoon with World Waste, their first tape.  This band was really good from the git-go.  When wishing for a comprehensive Hermit bandcamp or archive.org page, I'd hope for Third World Planet to be included.  They sometimes get labeled as power-violence, but that's not very accurate.  They aren't out there or whacky either, so hardcore is a more apropos.  Wouldn't want anyone to get turned off if they hadn't heard them.  This tape has a woman on vocals, and she adds a great texture.  I tend to forget how much they did.  I think of them as only having an LP and a 7", but they recorded a fair bit.  I wish I had more.

Jason from TWP was in some other bands, notably Mexican Power Authority, and now runs Supreme Echo - primarily reissuing hard to find (or never issued) material from the early days of the Vancouver area punk scene. Very thankful for his Private School reissue and can't wait for him to do Active Dog. The Supreme Echo shop in Victoria is tiny, maybe the smallest record shop I've ever been in. Feels smaller than a bedroom.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62
  Print  

Jump to: