Atrax Morgue/Marco Corbelli Appreciation

Started by Reprobate, March 16, 2012, 09:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Sickness Report is good for instrumental synth noise. It has good variation and composition. Then his LP and 7" (murder series) are good records of simple synth "drone"/tone with effected vocals on top.  When he moved to even further into insane vocals & clean minimalist electronic damage, it's kind of hit & miss. It can be good for what it is, but it is really demented.

I guess one could credit his USA popularity for 1) Big profile of Relapse 2) Efforts of Mark Solotroff ? I think they made it much more better known than several other euro PE groups in USA - at least at the time?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

I've always been quite partial to the album No More on Ars Benevola Mater. Very minimal, nerve-racking even. Lots of empty space in the sound.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Mikerdeath

I saw this thread and wrote some stuff to post so please bear with me.

There is something about "knowing" what you are getting into and I think the essence of Atrax Morgue plays on expectations. Marco wrote some words about his concept of "The Quest."
I think what enabled Atrax Morgue to happen and succeed was Marco's relinquishing of his own personal identity- as well as his persistence in chasing his obsessions wherever they took him. In industrial music there were standards and expectations in place already when he started, but there was something beyond what had been done before that motivated Marco to do what he did with his expressions and recordings. I don't know if anyone will ever know for sure if they did not meet him in person, but regardless- through his music I truly feel a kinship with him and his spirit. I feel like I know him. I know from interviews that he was a cooperative and supportive musician and I feel that his success and or failure largly depended on his long term goals in his own life. His suicide speaks louder than any of his music. How do we know Marco was not full of shit or using extreme topics to get attention? He's dead. This begs the question: How does one truly know anything without discovery? How well does Marco know death? He discovered it for himself. In one interview he wrote that his last goal in life was to overcome his fear of physical pain. I admire the fact that he kept his focus so sharp and kept his emails to a minimum and also sent hand signed postcards to his penpals. A textbook sign of suicidal ideation is telling people you are going to do it.

With regards to his output as Atrax Morgue, I would say that the continuity of themes in his music and imagery is coherent and very strong in its effect. It's convincing and its not superficial or insincere, it is dark and it instills a true sense of hopelessness and morbid comfort.

With regard to releases, I have some I truly love:
Basic Autopsy Procedure is one of his best releases. Not because of its structure and premeditation, but because of its spontaneous delivery. It is definitely beyond the league of "noodling" even if it was improvised. I would save that term for people who truly deserve it. Basic Autopsy Procedure sounds perfect and it's a departure from his more tightly composed material.

Jason Crumer recommended Paranoia to me and in the fullness of time I can agree with him, that is one of his best releases track for track. He got everything perfect on that release.

James Oliver Huberty 7" in the self abuse murder series is one of the best Atrax Morgue releases, the themes and sounds mix together  so perfectly, it serves a purpose as a soundtrack to the event itself.

Woundfucker re-issue has some of my personal favorite songs. Like Cuntdestroyer.

Black Slaughter is nothing short of a masterpiece for its minimalism alone.

jesusfaggotchrist

loved him since I first heard "Sickness Report", some of his albums are great, some so great that they're uncomfortable to listen to, sometimes his vocals are so twisted that it feels like he's molesting your ear. not sure if that is what he was going for, but it works. Noise Nazi likes him, which is great, but Marco the man himself wasn't fucking around. he really wanted strong feelings to emulate from his music/noise, and that's what power electronics/death industrial should be about.

Mikerdeath

Quote from: jesusfaggotchrist on May 10, 2013, 06:02:52 AM
he really wanted strong feelings to emulate from his music/noise, and that's
did you mean the word emanate?

jesusfaggotchrist

Quote from: Mikerdeath on May 10, 2013, 06:32:42 AM
Quote from: jesusfaggotchrist on May 10, 2013, 06:02:52 AM
he really wanted strong feelings to emulate from his music/noise, and that's
did you mean the word emanate?

probably did, just a typo.

bitewerksMTB

"New York Ripper" is my fave. The instrumental releases never interested me that much; I like his vocals. I wish I'd picked up the 2 reissued LPs when Malignant had'em in stock.

Looking at the entire discography for Slaughter Productions- it's damned impressive! Anyone here have a complete or near complete collection?

andy vomit

first AM i ever heard was "high heels inside my throat" from "paranoia" ... fucking creepy song.  hooked ever since.

although as much as i love AM, i tend to listen to morder machine more ... fantastic work.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

THE RITA HN

locustfurnace

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 10, 2013, 08:00:17 PMLooking at the entire discography for Slaughter Productions- it's damned impressive! Anyone here have a complete or near complete collection?

At one time i had a near (minus 2 or 3) complete catalog of 1 - 100....alas most have found new homes...

I'm not sure how I ended up in contact with Marco in the mid-90's, possibly via a relapse catalog, MSNP or CMI but I used to get a package every few weeks off him, was through him I first heard SLOGUN, DEATHPILE, TAINT etc...CMI was too dark ambient for my likings and I'd got one too many albums I didnt like but fell for the descriptions (back before mp3s...) where as Slaughter Prod catered more towards my tastes....I remember he used to always throw in a photo or two of himself in drag, in nurses outfits, on a slab (kitchen table?) looking all corpsey...you'd miss the old days of letter wrting before email took over...

I regret selling the "Deadbag" 7xCS boxset a few years ago, but I was offered good money and well had bills to pay....not to gone on his instrumental work but I'm like that with all music, I need vocals...It's hard to pick a favourite from such a vast catalog but when he delievered he delievered....

online prowler

Hei guys,

I've been listeing to kranivm off late. Nothing to be bought online as I can see. Do anyone have rips here? Would love copies. Apologies for bothering you w this here.

Kranivm - tenebra rerum: from the sexond album from '94 - The Brighter Edge Of Death. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH8yKi7R3B8

TruckStopStranger

Quote from: xdementia on March 19, 2012, 07:24:48 AM
my advice - start with Sickness Report and go from there.
sickness report was the first album i got from him, and it blew my dick off. He's got a real knack for stereo recordings. Did Ketamine and listened to that album and its stood out as one of the more important listening experiences I've had. Esthetik Of A Corpse and Slush of a Maniac are my favorites, though, so minimal and psychotic sounding. Perfect meat slicing music for work. Something about his work is deeply troubling, and that shows in his rumbling synths and quivering high end squeals. "Hunting for Bitches" is such a fucking classic song, in my top 5. His blatant psychological problems really do shine on me, and endlessly inspire me. Each album of his showed a progression, from what I've heard, and his later work, especially Death-Orgasm Connector really show an extremely unique sound that he developed.