Atrax Morgue/Marco Corbelli Appreciation

Started by Reprobate, March 16, 2012, 09:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reprobate

Been listening to a lot of "Death-Orgasm Connector" lately. Definitely one of my favorite PE albums. I'm not one to glorify or condone suicide, but his death gives strength to the reality of his music and death obsessions. It shows that it wasn't just for gimmicks. Those are my thoughts, anyways. I'd love to hear other opinions on his music and anyone's favorite albums of his.

jake

Always thought his Soft Cell cover was brilliant. What release was that on?
My personal favorite is New York Ripper.
Slush of a Maniac is up there too.

Caltiki

Frustration (the Soft Cell cover) was released on a B/card with only that track.
I have no time right now but I will come back to write in this topic in the next days, because I find it really interesting.
Anyways, my favourite releases are Mechanic Asphyxia and Collection in Formaldeide.

Peterson

"Basic Autopsy Procedure" is one of the worst tapes I have ever heard. Haven't yet heard any other Atrax. Didn't make me too optimistic.

bogskaggmannen

I've actually heard very few of his works but one thing that strikes me is that he seems mostly popular in the US?

Reprobate

Quote from: Peterson on March 17, 2012, 12:36:38 AM
"Basic Autopsy Procedure" is one of the worst tapes I have ever heard. Haven't yet heard any other Atrax. Didn't make me too optimistic.

I think we can all agree that every artist will have their ups and downs. I know that "Basic Autopsy" is one of his earlier works. I gravitate more towards his 2000s and on works.

Reprobate

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on March 17, 2012, 12:53:27 AM
I've actually heard very few of his works but one thing that strikes me is that he seems mostly popular in the US?

Do you think there's a reason for that? I'm from the U.S. and am a fan. My main attraction towards his stuff is that there seems to be this underlying hopeless/sinister quality. At first listen, you can't seem to take it seriously, but then it starts to grow on you that this guy isn't doing what he does for shits and giggles.

tisbor

I assure you there are lots of Atrax Morgue fans in Italy too!
Personal favorites: Lesion 22, New York Ripper, La Casa Delle Finestre Che Ridono, "Sinfonia Per Un Sadico" track and most of all his side project Morder Machine.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Reprobate on March 17, 2012, 01:16:03 AM
I think we can all agree that every artist will have their ups and downs.

I disagree. I don't know downs in WHITEHOUSE, VIVENZA, TNB, HIJOKAIDAN, BORBETOMAGUS, GENOCIDE ORGAN, ANEMONE TUBE, and many, many others..

Reprobate

Well, I take back what I said and replace it with "I think we can all agree that Metallica has had their ups and downs."

Andrew McIntosh

Of Corbelli's excessive output, the album I tend to go back to is Morder Machine's "Deathshow". The Brighter Death Now influence is worn on the sleeve, but in Corbelli's capable hands this album, to me, encapsulates Death Industrial/Post Mortem. The sheer, fuck-you blatant minimalism of the pieces, particularly "Music For Dead Brains" which is a micro-masterpiece, and the plain darkness of the sound makes this a consistently great work.

"Basic Autopsy Procedure" follows the same kind of simple minimalism but with all the drawbacks of that style of playing, and I can understand why Peterson wouldn't be too inspired by it. "Sektion 3" is a good piece, better constructed with a decent voice sample, but the rest of it does sound too noodly, a bit like recordings of some of Corbelli's live work.

Necrophonie, Corbelli's collaboration with Devis Granziera, is another interesting project, the "SM0002" album having a somewhat grittier sound than Corbelli's usual, "617.13.12" probably being my favourite piece.

Of course all artists have their ups and downs, particularly those who release a large quantity of material. It's hard to know just how much of his material was simply driven as opposed to going through the motions, since even when going through the motions there's an impulse to create and have that creation known. Perhaps, in life, he was just simply driven and had scant regard for what was regarded as "good" or "bad".
Shikata ga nai.

Reprobate

I haven't given much of a listen to Morder Machine. I must do that.
Another thing I'd like to bring up is all of his artwork. I love it! Looks like posters for 70's giallo films.

Brad

Paranoia seems to be his only album that is not out of print.  Is that a good place to start?

tiny_tove

collection in formaldeyde
cut my throat (fucking unsettling, unberable in certian moments... love it)
woundfucker

although my fave work was morder machine.... and the related live gigs.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

xdementia

my advice - start with Sickness Report and go from there.