Special Interest
October 07, 2022, 11:46:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading  (Read 543986 times)
AdamLehrerImageMaker

« Reply #975 on: July 29, 2022, 05:56:28 PM »

It sounds like that project has been shelved for the moment, but she's co-adapting Eileen with her husband for a film that will be directed by William Olroyd, who directed one feature: the spectacularly erotic and Hitchcockian Lady Macbeth (no direct connection to Shakespeare, just an exploration of the Lady Macbeth archetype of cold cruel calculating bitch)

Also, Otessa Mosfegh's Lapvona. I am shocked by how good she is, given how thoroughly she's been absorbed into the otherwise dismal New Yorker-backed mainstream of the literary industry. Her writing is repulsive at times and deeply weird, and likely wouldn't get published by the companies that back her had they been written by a white guy. More power to her though, I always like when something real sneaks into the mainstream.

I absolutely love her writing. Wasn’t even aware that she had a new novel out. I wonder if the film adaptation of My Year of Rest and Relaxation is still in the works. Not that I’m expecting much.
Electro Surgeon
user

« Reply #976 on: July 31, 2022, 12:05:22 AM »

CHAOS!!

INNERCITY UPRISING RECORDS
AUSTRALIAN NOISE AND PUNK
impulse manslaughter
Heavy user

« Reply #977 on: August 05, 2022, 07:45:22 PM »

Just finished a biography of king Louie XIV, which was a long but really good read. The Hitler biography by Ian Kershaw is up next.
hollowserpenttooth

« Reply #978 on: August 07, 2022, 06:38:01 AM »

CHAOS!!

Assuming you are talking about the book by Tom O'Neill? I just finished this. I'm still on the fence. Overall I liked it but it got a bit long winded and didn't keep me as engaged as I had hoped.
Yrjö-Koskinen
Heavy user

Hate globally, act peripherally

« Reply #979 on: September 02, 2022, 09:10:15 PM »

Just audiobooked a pile of George Orwell. Down and Out in Paris and London, The Road to Wigan Pier and Homage to Catalonia. The difference between Orwell and 99% of anything even remotely resembling a leftist in 2022 is mind boggling; it's like Carl Schmidt versus a doped up skinhead gang banger. He is certainly not right about everything, he is often very naive, but even at his worst he is always honest, nuanced and more or less a decent human being. Highly recommended to anyone, be ye of the far left or the far right, who likes the British, clever arguments and nice people.

"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66]
  Print  

Jump to: