What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

Quote from: cr on November 17, 2017, 06:57:40 PM
Yesterday I received the massive The Devil's Cradle:The Story of Finnish Black Metal - book.

Heavy hardcover, over 500 pages. Featuring Beherit, Impaled Nazarene, Barathrum, Archgoat, Azazel, Diaboli, Darkwoods My Betrothed, Horna, Warloghe, Behexen, Clandestine Blaze, Satanic Warmaster, Ride for Revenge, Goatmoon, ... and many more.

How does it look, content-wise? Would like to order but after being disappointed with the high school level writing of Wolves Among Sheep I'm wary to drop that kind of money again.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

cr

Quote from: absurdexposition on November 17, 2017, 08:57:13 PM
Yesterday I received the massive The Devil's Cradle:The Story of Finnish Black Metal - book.

Heavy hardcover, over 500 pages. Featuring Beherit, Impaled Nazarene, Barathrum, Archgoat, Azazel, Diaboli, Darkwoods My Betrothed, Horna, Warloghe, Behexen, Clandestine Blaze, Satanic Warmaster, Ride for Revenge, Goatmoon, ... and many more.

How does it look, content-wise? Would like to order but after being disappointed with the high school level writing of Wolves Among Sheep I'm wary to drop that kind of money again.

Well, I only browsed through it, but as it's based on interviews with the bands included, I don't think there is much high school level writing. The few things I read are very promising - and some chapters are very long. For example, Beherit and Impaled Nazarene, both over 40 pages.

absurdexposition

Quote from: cr on November 17, 2017, 09:27:19 PM
Quote from: absurdexposition on November 17, 2017, 08:57:13 PM

Well, I only browsed through it, but as it's based on interviews with the bands included, I don't think there is much high school level writing. The few things I read are very promising - and some chapters are very long. For example, Beherit and Impaled Nazarene, both over 40 pages.

Nice. Thanks.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

I read Dune in high school, loved it but never followed up with the rest of the series which I have always regretted. I started the first book last week and holy fuck I am loving it. Can't wait to read the rest of the series when I'm done.

Deadpriest

Got the Answer Me Compendium, very excited.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

david lloyd jones

re-reading 'black metal, evolution of the cult' by dayal patterson, after recent re listening to black metal discs bought ten plus years ago.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Reading The Plague by Albert Camus.

My patience for reading is shocking, I used to inhale books but now find myself losing interest quite often. But I usually find Camus and Sartre and the like keep me interested cos of the setting and characters- usually miserable people living lonely ascetic lives in some isolated town. Grey seaside towns and depressing Algerian villages somehow seem like an enjoyable setting for me. Anyhow this is perhaps only the third book of this year I can see myself reading start to finish, and those who have read The Stranger know what kind of thing to expect but with perhaps more defined narrative rather than two or three integral events strung together with minute detail.

Andrew McIntosh

"The Plague" is Camus at his more optimistic. That part of his absurdism that says it's better to get on with things even though you hate doing them because doing good is still a good thing to do. "The Stranger" for me is preferable because it's more individualist and pessimist. "The Fall" is similar although less bitter and more poetic.
Shikata ga nai.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 27, 2017, 01:15:07 PM
"The Plague" is Camus at his more optimistic. That part of his absurdism that says it's better to get on with things even though you hate doing them because doing good is still a good thing to do. "The Stranger" for me is preferable because it's more individualist and pessimist. "The Fall" is similar although less bitter and more poetic.

It's interesting to look at things from both perspectives I think. On a side note, I particularly enjoyed a part early on in The Plague in which Cottard comments on "a case making quite a stir in Algiers where an office clerk shot and killed an Algerian on a beach"

cr

Quote from: theotherjohn on October 28, 2017, 09:55:05 AM

Damn, thanks  again for recommendation. Been reading through the first 50 pages, very good and interesting,  and the cover is the best and most beautiful book cover I ever own.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: cr on December 03, 2017, 05:12:09 PM
Quote from: theotherjohn on October 28, 2017, 09:55:05 AM

Damn, thanks  again for recommendation. Been reading through the first 50 pages, very good and interesting,  and the cover is the best and most beautiful book cover I ever own.

just ordered myself-the us eition as cover far superior.
sex and surrealism always a winner.

scissa

Quote from: holy ghost on November 25, 2017, 01:31:00 AM
I read Dune in high school, loved it but never followed up with the rest of the series which I have always regretted. I started the first book last week and holy fuck I am loving it. Can't wait to read the rest of the series when I'm done.

Just finished re-reading the original books the other day. Quality dips in a few places but I still love the whole thing. Shame he never got to finish it. I don't even hate his son's stuff quite as much as some (haven't read all of them but a few that I did were readable enough, if not especially 'good') but what I've read of his take on the ending doesn't feel right so I'm not going to bother with it. Two 500 page books by writers that put a much greater emphasis upon action (blatantly aiming for the books to be adapted to TV/film) in place of what was almost definitely going to be a single 400-500 page book seems daft.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 15, 2017, 08:41:20 PM
"You exist- purely and simply- to provide a filth drain, a septic tank into which the rest of us can excrete our own torrential malice and cruelty, our lust for vengeance, our dark unspoken fantasies of violence and greed. Your pain is essential to the smooth functioning of civilization. But do not flatter yourselves. Your individual crimes- no matter how shocking- have no meaning whatsoever. All that is required is that you be here, innocent or guilty, good and bad alike. You are a pot to be shat in- that and nothing more. Understand that. And know that I understand it too. And as you lie weeping in your cells I want you to reflect on this: that just by being here you are doing excellent service- a good job- for the society you so despise."

Very... ligotti-esque. But with slightly adjusted narrator perspective ("you" as in "you but not me, suckers!") such as might more snugly fit with more pe-oriented vantage, if one will.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on February 07, 2018, 04:57:49 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 15, 2017, 08:41:20 PM
"You exist- purely and simply- to provide a filth drain, a septic tank into which the rest of us can excrete our own torrential malice and cruelty, our lust for vengeance, our dark unspoken fantasies of violence and greed. Your pain is essential to the smooth functioning of civilization. But do not flatter yourselves. Your individual crimes- no matter how shocking- have no meaning whatsoever. All that is required is that you be here, innocent or guilty, good and bad alike. You are a pot to be shat in- that and nothing more. Understand that. And know that I understand it too. And as you lie weeping in your cells I want you to reflect on this: that just by being here you are doing excellent service- a good job- for the society you so despise."

Very... ligotti-esque. But with slightly adjusted narrator perspective ("you" as in "you but not me, suckers!") such as might more snugly fit with more pe-oriented vantage, if one will.

...or am I missing the potential metaphorical read a la Kafka In The Penal Colony? Either way, great quote.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Kayandah

Just completed "final solution" by David Cesarini. Honestly I thought Martin Gilbert's "Holocaust" was the definitive one volume history but this could rival it. Two main tenets of the book, one to claim that the Nazis didn't really have a plan and made it up as they went along. Not sure I fully agree and the author had an annoying tendency to over emphasize this point. The other tenet is to debunk the idea the holocaust was kind of sex free. He details the prevalence of rape throughout the holocaust, the selling of sex as a means of survival and the exploitation of sex on all sides. Certainly it shows racial purity claims only went so far.

It's a bit of a slog, 800 pages in paperwork but worth it in the end.