What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

Quote from: Peterson on May 03, 2017, 03:30:57 AM
Bummer, as I assume reg'lar edition doesn't have the "explicit images."

Wasn't aware this was the different between the editions. Damn. Ordered standard the other day.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Peterson

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 04, 2017, 10:25:17 PM

Wasn't aware this was the different between the editions. Damn. Ordered standard the other day.

Ehh, don't take my word for it, I only said that 'cause standard ed. didn't have the warning. You never know...

Duncan

My copy is signed too and I'm probs gonna flow it onto whoever wants to read it next and never read it again myself.

tisbor

Good, technical book about my pre-roman ancestors (these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apuani). Sadly I don't think it will ever be translated to english.

david lloyd jones

satanic panic.pop cultural paranoia in the 1980's.
eds kier la  janisse &paul corupe. publ by fab press

absurdexposition

Quote from: Peterson on May 04, 2017, 10:53:25 PM
Quote from: absurdexposition on May 04, 2017, 10:25:17 PM

Ehh, don't take my word for it, I only said that 'cause standard ed. didn't have the warning. You never know...

Received in the mail today. Much bigger than anticipated. Some nice pics.

According to publisher's site there is an "exclusive photographic print" that comes with the limited edition and that appears to be the only thing the regular doesn't have:

"exclusive photographic print, signed and numbered in red envelope, inserted into front of book loose, book inserted into slipcase, wrapped in brown paper, labelled and hand numbered to match inside."

Assuming it is the last photo seen here: https://www.faber.co.uk/shop/signed-limited-editions/9780571328536-art-sex-music.html as the 2nd last one is in the regular edition book.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

for me, whatever the limited ed extras, they din't interest  at all compared to the story within, but as mentioned before, a signed book is magical.

Duncan

Ok, so I got finished reading the Tutti book and really enjoyed it.  A massive, massive percentage of the content is essentially her side of all the COUM/TG/Personal drama between her and Gen and shines some juicy, gossipy light on the scenes behind the gig cancellations, failed reunions and online bitching etc.  Yes, yes we all know that there are 2 or more sides to every story BUT I found it quite easy to side with her accounts of most things having watched P-Orridge fuck about in the lime light for so many years and generally behave like a professional bullshitter.  In any case I wasn't expecting such a damning write up of him and it seems like anyone who reads it will have to reconfigure their understanding and impression of what TG is/was in some way.

What do those of us here to have read it think?  Do we think there will be some response from Gen?  I heard from somebody that the recent COUM retrospective to have taken place in Hull was timed - in some part at least - to preempt the book release.  Guess we'll never see those guys work together again now! ha!

Steve

I think we ail see them work together again ... if the money is right.

Duncan

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Duncan on May 10, 2017, 12:13:30 AM
Ok, so I got finished reading the Tutti book and really enjoyed it.  A massive, massive percentage of the content is essentially her side of all the COUM/TG/Personal drama between her and Gen and shines some juicy, gossipy light on the scenes behind the gig cancellations, failed reunions and online bitching etc.  Yes, yes we all know that there are 2 or more sides to every story BUT I found it quite easy to side with her accounts of most things having watched P-Orridge fuck about in the lime light for so many years and generally behave like a professional bullshitter.  In any case I wasn't expecting such a damning write up of him and it seems like anyone who reads it will have to reconfigure their understanding and impression of what TG is/was in some way.

What do those of us here to have read it think?  Do we think there will be some response from Gen?  I heard from somebody that the recent COUM retrospective to have taken place in Hull was timed - in some part at least - to preempt the book release.  Guess we'll never see those guys work together again now! ha!

p-orridge gets the treatment.
revenge, dish, cold.
had several sources of feedback at his behaviour over the years, from different contexts, all negative.
adding these to the account in the book, along with my work experiences as a psychiatric nurse, cosey's account is compelling.
the tg legacy, or whatever, doesn't necessarily change, just the actors' contributions.
same for coum.
another view is to accept 'visionary/great' people are not necessarily nice people, but make things happen (which is likely p-orridge's 'genius')seems no coincidence that g-po interested in warhol/factory.

a history of topy would add another layer to this debate re gp-o. a fractured contentious era.

neolithic cravings

the shadow of the torturer-gene wolfe

david lloyd jones

david lloyd jones

'beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics' by rob baker.
essay length bios of various london  characters-queens, queers, spivs, spies, overindulgent rockers, criminals, hippies etc.
not major history, but entertaining nevertheless.