What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMMM

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on December 31, 2016, 01:52:11 PM
What ever next in the downward trajectory of Consumer Electronics?

My money's on a concept album about Donald Trump's toxic masculinity.

GEWALTMONOPOL

The hallmark of a good one liner is me slapping my knees and I'll let you know I just did that. Well played, sir. I predict further this album to be laden with fat juicy latin beats. Like that co opted track.

As for Puce Mary and her UK adventures. She cancelled UFoI II at possibly the worst time for us but there were health reasons behind it. Just one of those things and we salvaged the situation. Her second cancellation was someone else's event and had nothing to do with us.

UFoI is firmly removed from the usual UK suspects with their typical slap dash mind set and we pride ourselves on that. Anyone with previous bad experience in the UK can rest assured that UFoI is different. PM is alright. She can come back any time she likes.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

online prowler

Kjell Askildsen's latest short story collection "Vennskapets pris".

Reality compressed in Norwegian.

Ingles breakdown here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kjell_Askildsen

cantle

Quote from: RyanWreck on December 02, 2016, 12:07:53 PM
"DISCO'S OUT... MURDER'S IN!" (Feral House, 2015)
I swore I already talked anout this book here but I suppose not. Anyway, it's about California punk gangs of the 80's (Vice did a piece on it here.) These were true gangs, groups of kids that murder and fight constantly. It covers FFF (Fight for Freedom), Suicidals (groups of hispanic kids took after the Suicidal Tendencies many had already grown up with their brothers in gangs like Varrio Echo X Parque), the Lads, La Mirada Punks (LMD, which is the gang the author was in), Pig Children, BPO, etc. Some of these gangs would later form into other larger more known gangs like Public Enemy Number 1 (PEN1) white gang within the Cali Prison System. Rumor has it they got their name from "Rudimentary Peni." Definitely recommended for anyone interested in gangs and the punk subculture.

Here is a little list and a couple photos from that time: http://ambitiondeficitdisorder.tumblr.com/post/88117552220/suicidals-bpo-lads-came-across-this-article-on

Just finished it- really good read.

ONE

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on December 11, 2016, 02:10:55 PM
Those negative reactions didn't have anything to do with her gender, she's just shit vocalist and that's it. Puce Mary can pull it off way better.

I, for one, love the way you pass your opinions as fact and not opinion.
resist the things you can find everywhere

david lloyd jones

' a fiery and furious people',-a history of violence in Britain, by some Prof or other, pub by penguin.
I have always felt that us Brits are rough and more violence prone than 'proper history' allows.
I believe that our belligerence, captured and focussed allowed us to get our empire.
our loss of empire and current enthralment to xfactor shite(etc) is a  sign of our degeneracy and, along with Europe as a whole leads to death, if followed.

david lloyd jones

come on,fuckers, read books and comment, not e shit  comment.
I can hardly think it has been a week in worldwide terms that nobody has found an interesting book.

david lloyd jones

reading-

Jonathon Rigby 'euro gothic', a companion sequel to 'English gothic'.
an overview of European horror film from silent to now.

'England's hidden reverse' revised reprint of original.
about 25% bigger and with more picks (some originally b&w now colour)
remains an absorbing read.

david lloyd jones

80 page course booklet on immediate life support that forms the basis of the course I have to attend tomorrow-the sense of responsibility attached to this knowledge is sobering (no pun....)

david lloyd jones

following on from 'English gothic', Jonathan Rigby attends to the euro gothic tradition in film with 'euro gothic'
book is as in depth as English gothic and way better than the dull title.
covers early silent, post war high gothic, the increasing explicit and wired late 60's 70's, then onto itallo horror 80's style (early).
most horror fans with a sense of history would enjoy this.

HongKongGoolagong

Joan Didion Where I Was From, 2003

Sold as an autobiographical memoir, it's more like an essay collection based on the myths and realities of California. As a writer she is as synonymous with California as her most well-known protege Bret Easton Ellis (whose work was so heavily influenced by Didion it becomes almost plagiarism - read any of his work after her classic novel Play It As It Lays to see where he got his whole schtick). Her writing is known for its extreme anxiety, disquieting aspects and the generally downbeat, so her version of California includes apocalyptic and desperate crossings by settlers in the 1800s including the cannibalistic Donner Party, and an almost forgotten 1990s scandal involving a teenage rape gang in the dystopian white aerospace workers'  LA suburb Lakewood. It ends with an eerie exchange with her adopted daughter which prefigures the horrific tales of her later memoirs The Year Of Magical Thinking and Blue Nights.

I've read and loved almost everything she's ever published. She's fragile and self-loathing yet was also immensely privileged and certainly a part of a literary elite - no outsider chic, just the full misery of the human condition in high style prose.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on February 20, 2017, 08:03:54 PM
Joan Didion Where I Was From, 2003

Sold as an autobiographical memoir, it's more like an essay collection based on the myths and realities of California. As a writer she is as synonymous with California as her most well-known protege Bret Easton Ellis (whose work was so heavily influenced by Didion it becomes almost plagiarism - read any of his work after her classic novel Play It As It Lays to see where he got his whole schtick). Her writing is known for its extreme anxiety, disquieting aspects and the generally downbeat, so her version of California includes apocalyptic and desperate crossings by settlers in the 1800s including the cannibalistic Donner Party, and an almost forgotten 1990s scandal involving a teenage rape gang in the dystopian white aerospace workers'  LA suburb Lakewood. It ends with an eerie exchange with her adopted daughter which prefigures the horrific tales of her later memoirs The Year Of Magical Thinking and Blue Nights.

I've read and loved almost everything she's ever published. She's fragile and self-loathing yet was also immensely privileged and certainly a part of a literary elite - no outsider chic, just the full misery of the human condition in high style prose.

sorry to drag back to the obvious, but jd shares some characteristics with Ps.your response  similar to Ps extremities-from my pov.

cr

Just started to read Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground. Already like the first paragraph.

More than 20 years ago I read Crime and Punishment within four days, after I crashed with my motorbike and therefore had to stay in bed for quite some time. Since then, it's one of my favourite books ever. Never read it again though.

cantle

Bunker (ed.) Blood Sacrifices : recommended if you want to read about the ritualised violence, cults, drugs and war.

cr

2.000 pages to help me through spring.