What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEWALTMONOPOL

He looks like a fucking nonce!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

holy ghost

I just finished the Power Electronics book and Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie (it was pretty good but not as exciting as The First Law Trilogy) and I started Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling, I've never read any Harry Potter, but these detective novels are totally addictive. I read the first two earlier this summer and they were hella enjoyable.

Kim V

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk
you're just a victim of yourself

david lloyd jones

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on December 05, 2016, 09:40:20 PM
He looks like a fucking nonce!

and a homo.
if it is cute, male and has a pulse...
he may even like football

Hakaristi

The Dr. Andrew Whelan that authored those papers dissecting PE is an Aussie Sociology lecturer and actually looks like this: http://lha.uow.edu.au/hsi/contacts/UOW059282. (For better or worse, you decide!)

I thought this piece on the legality of certain artworks employed on Noise/PE album covers was interesting from my personal point of view. NZ similarly has very harsh censorship laws - http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2055&context=artspapers

HongKongGoolagong

Philip Best - Alien Existence (Infinityland Press)

It would fit into the reassuringly expensive art monograph section of a big bookshop, but the exact size and cover lamination of this weighty book reminded me of vintage 1970s editions of the children's favourite, the Guinness Book Of Records. Opening section 'Come Clean', an extended interview by Martin Bladh, has some autobiographical details and a generally candid, humorous and open tone in response. Yet Bladh's subtly probing and cleverly short questions seem to elicit mild evasions and perhaps somewhat disingenuous answers from Best on occasion.

Second section of text 'Kinsey Dying' is mostly based around a profoundly depressing collage of internet comments sections surrounding the 2009 disappearance and still unsolved death of Neveah Buchanan. Humanity at its worst.

Almost 200 pages of mostly full colour and well printed collages follow, divided into eight chapters. Very similar material to his previous 2010 book for Creation, American Campgrounds. Children, animals, nature, disasters, the increasingly weird and inappropriate artist's signature. He references Ballard as a major influence in the introduction and I can picture a Ballard story where he describes this sort of unwholesome scrapbook, maybe being found at an especially psychotic crime scene. H.R. Giger once created a work called "Ein Fressen für den Psychiater" (a field day for the psychiatrist) and I could certainly imagine this kind of troubling work becoming pathologised just as easily as it could be called art. Amidst the unsettling images sourced from who knows where there is one single photograph (in the section titled Sex Offender Boyfriend) which could be termed 'child erotica'. It is juxtaposed with a page of found text about killing tigers - title, Triumph For The Hunter. Very black humoured indeed.

Outro section of text contains some brief original and cold blooded fiction amidst extremely downbeat collaged and borrowed words - I believe more fiction is on the way next year.

Strange and unique volume, for a limited audience - you'll know if you want this. Production values very high and the publishers should be commended. Feel like I need to take a shower after touching it but that's because of the content.

david lloyd jones

thanks for the review.
still not entirely convinced this is not a very expensive scrapbook.
whilst I don't see Mr best as old guard having shot his load, not convinced of his current genius either.
still to

bitewerksMTB

"So negative reactions don't bother me. The only exception to this I can recall was the (to my mind) sexist and misogynistic comments that were made when my wife Sarah joined Consumer Electronics. I couldn't believe it! I hated those comments and was glad those idiots had shown their true colours and no longer liked us."

Scat-O-Logy

Those negative reactions didn't have anything to do with her gender, she's just shit vocalist and that's it. Puce Mary can pull it off way better.

Scat-O-Logy

The comment was made in relation with non-existent sexism that was claimed by the concerned hubby. The fact that CE sucks doesn't mean all female PE does.

absurdexposition

Started reading Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama yesterday. About half done now. It's a quick read, very good at giving a true visual of what's going on. A bit hokey in parts (namely the dialogues of the Rama Committee), but other than that it's quite intriguing.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 11, 2016, 10:25:05 PM
Maybe P.M. cancels UK gigs cuz you guys are just that awful (along with your weather)?

not just awful but proud of it!

david lloyd jones

Quote from: david lloyd jones on December 14, 2016, 03:22:00 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 11, 2016, 10:25:05 PM
Maybe P.M. cancels UK gigs cuz you guys are just that awful (along with your weather)?

not just awful but proud of it!

fucking Brits man.
they creep me out

Deadpriest

I am reading:

Thirteen Girls by Mikita Brottman: First person fictionalised accounts of  the aftermath of various murders. Enjoying it!!

Introducing Slavoj Zizek: does what it says on the tin. Difficult but very interesting.

Solipsist by Victoria Vega: Confessional poetry charting a girl's coming to terms with the psychosis and depression associated with dissociative identity disorder very good I like to spend a day with a poem which here is an absolute pleasure.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

GEWALTMONOPOL

Fatty and Bingo Wings sound like a couple of butt fucked Vassar bitches. Lambada beats and coffee table books. What ever next in the downward trajectory of Consumer Electronics?
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...