What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONE

Thanks for that.  Stealing crisps from a kid is unforgivable, though I would suggest your friend be thankful he wasn't raped.  It's clear that the man played to his own parameters - though I'm personally unsure where they begin and end.  Will we ever?

It's clear I screwed the wiki entry link a few posts above this, here it is now >

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

If anyone else reading this has an anecdote, personal or otherwise - and is happy to share it here, then I'd very much like to hear it.  If a mod considers it off topic within the context of this thread, a PM would suffice.
resist the things you can find everywhere

acsenger

I only know Jimmy Savile from the news. After seeing pictures of him on the net, I say even if I didn't know anything about him, I'd bet that there was something very wrong with him. I'm surprised he was on TV for decades when he actually looked like a pedophile.

cr

As I am quite interested in the topic of  'Senicide' and recently listened to the 'Deathbed' track on the great Uncodified/Wertham - Vindicta I  CD,  (and earlier the Lapot 'Igneous corrosion' tape), I asked myself if there are any good books on the topic (...whatever you call it...Accabadora, Ubasute, Lapot, Ättestupa...) The only book I found about Accabadora is from Michela Murgia, is this one any good?

greylake

Jean Genet's Miracle of the Rose

tiny_tove

Quote from: cr on July 26, 2015, 06:12:32 PM
As I am quite interested in the topic of  'Senicide' and recently listened to the 'Deathbed' track on the great Uncodified/Wertham - Vindicta I  CD,  (and earlier the Lapot 'Igneous corrosion' tape), I asked myself if there are any good books on the topic (...whatever you call it...Accabadora, Ubasute, Lapot, Ättestupa...) The only book I found about Accabadora is from Michela Murgia, is this one any good?

very good. that's the one that started the whole accabadora hype in the media!
English translation looses some of the slang terms, but still entertaining and all true.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Levas

Yevgeny Zamyatin - We - neat dystopian novel that accidentally ended up in my hands. For some reason Zamyatin, though being huge influence for Orwell's 1984, Huxley's Brave New World and other dystopian novels, he isn't known that much. NIce

Jean-Paul Sartre - The Wall - I know existentialism is already a joke in around noise/pe scene because of one reason or another, but grabbed this from my sister's bookshelf a week back. Great stories. Maybe I'll try and catch up with the train of noisers, adoring existentialism! That would be cool

cr

Quote from: tiny_tove on July 28, 2015, 12:23:30 AM
Quote from: cr on July 26, 2015, 06:12:32 PM

very good. that's the one that started the whole accabadora hype in the media!
English translation looses some of the slang terms, but still entertaining and all true.

Thanks! I will try to get the German version and hope it was translated well.

cr

Venedikt Yerofeyev: "Moscow-Petushki"

The most alcohol drenched book I ever read!

greylake

Recently finished J.G. Ballard's Crash, and Philip K. Dick's Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. I enjoyed Flow My Tears much more than Crash. I can see how important Crash must've been to some extent when it was released. But what a redundant book! Like many books, it was twice as long as it could've been. I've never encountered the word "chromium" so much. Despite all the sexuality, I didn't find it erotic at all. I watched the film right afterward, which was pretty accurate, surprisingly, except they replaced the acid trip with Vaughan receiving a tattoo (?), which seemed unnecessarily alt-90's.

Anyway now I'm on a Dick kick (hah) so I started The Man in the High Castle, with Valis next in line.

Sturmfieber

Recently started "Raven: The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and His People" by Tim Reiterman. Pretty interesting so far.

gasskammer

Quote from: cr on May 14, 2015, 09:52:03 PM
Just 50 pages into Michel Houllebecq's "The map and the territory". As I quite liked all his previous books, I also have high expectations on this one. Although I read something like that 'this book fills his friends with enthusiasm and reconciles his enemies'. - I hope not, but we'll see...

Like TS said, this is a funny book. I have enjoyed all his book, this is maybe a bit "lighter"? Just got his new one in the mail this weekend, will start reading tonight. Irritating the that the company here has switched to a new translator, all his previous books was translated by the same guy. Oh well..

cr

JOHN LYDON: Anger is an energy

cantle

^ read it myself some years back- Headpress magazine had a feature on the writer with biog details but...

...didn't Hongkongoolagong say that it (and a lot of other stuff) was written by another prolific writer of the time under a pen name- he named him then deleted it iirc

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: cantle on October 01, 2015, 03:34:19 AM
^ read it myself some years back- Headpress magazine had a feature on the writer with biog details but...

...didn't Hongkongoolagong say that it (and a lot of other stuff) was written by another prolific writer of the time under a pen name- he named him then deleted it iirc

I was talking about 'Simon Whitechapel' and some rather shocking news I was told about who that actually was. Pan Pantziarka always struck me as being an obvious pseudonym too. This discussion has me casting my mind back to the trouble of when Apocalypse Culture II came out in 2000, so much better than the first volume, and regular outlets who sold that sort of thing wouldn't carry it even in censored format. "We decided it wasn't a very nice book" - manager of Forbidden Planet in London to a friend. Underground publishing was exciting back then when you could buy sometimes Peter Sotos books in high street shops. The internet has ruined so much about that as well as clandestine forms of art and music. Some things ought to be difficult to discover.

cantle

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on October 01, 2015, 03:47:26 PM

The internet has ruined so much about that as well as clandestine forms of art and music. Some things ought to be difficult to discover.

I'd agree with that too.

I'm confused (which is easily done): was Simon Whitechapel and Aldapuerto and Pantziarka the same person?