What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misantropo

A bit offtopic, but could someone recommend good books about Voodoo? More academic ones.

yosef666

Quote from: Misantropo on September 23, 2014, 04:11:18 AM
A bit offtopic, but could someone recommend good books about Voodoo? More academic ones.
What exactly are you looking for? Are you interested in Vodou from a cultural perspective, or are you interested in practices, or what? And how academic a work are you seeking? Maya Deren's "Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti" is a classic, as is Zora Neale Hurston's "Tell My Horse: Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica". And of course, Wade Davis's "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and "Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie" are both fascinating, although possibly tangential to your interests.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

Misantropo

It was a bit late when I wrote my post, so let me elaborate a bit:

So basicly everything that is related to the darker side of Voodoo. The human sacrifices, Zombies and all that kind of stuff. With academic I meant something that is based more or less on research about these practices etc when compared to some kind of "pulp" kind of writing. I don't know, maybe I just put it there to get more convincing works. I was playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers last night and once againt got inspired by the subject but as usual had no idea where to start.

I see you already mentioned some works so thanks for that.

C601

Burnt Tongues a collection of short transgressive stories hand picked by chuck Palahniuk

Levas

Peace by Gene Wolfe. I found this as a recommendation of fantastic realism I think. A rather interesting book. Narrator is remembering himself growing up, etc. Somewhat calm and soothing book. I also have 100 years of loneliness in queue.
Previusly finished reading Magic without tears. One of the easiest reading material about Thelema - Crowley is exchanging mails and answering questions etc. Also finished Bhagavad gita, The Way of the Fight, sort of biography of Georges S'Pierre (MMA fighter). Not that interesting comparing to Griffith's book. Talking with serial killers by C. Berry-Dee. Rather interesting compilations of not that well know (at least for me) serial killers and perhaps something else.

tiny_tove

Quote from: yosef666 on September 23, 2014, 08:36:13 AM
Wade Davis's "The Serpent and the Rainbow" and "Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie" are both fascinating, although possibly tangential to your interests.
total classics. still amazed by these two books after all these years.
Saw some interesting interviews to Davis as well.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Jordan

Quote from: C601 on September 24, 2014, 04:13:57 PM
Burnt Tongues a collection of short transgressive stories hand picked by chuck Palahniuk

There's a couple of copies of that at the bookstore I work at. I almost picked it up, but then I realized what it was. Not a fan of Palahniuk. At. All.

There's a similar anthology edited by Dennis Cooper called Userlands. I like Dennis Cooper, but the few stories I read in the book did nothing for me. Has anyone read it, and, if so, any recommendations of worthwhile material in the book?

Cementimental

Keeler's most PE novel i guess

OCPM

I am currently reading some writings of August Strindberg.
The danish title translates to Occult Diary and it's sort of an autobiographic diary from the time he lived in Paris.
It was probably the most troubled period of his life where he starts exploring and obsessing about alchemy and occultism. He becomes very paranoid and explains his life as a sort of Inferno. Very interesting stuff.   

GEWALTMONOPOL

Inferno was written partly in Ystad in a building adjacent to Ystads Allehanda. The paranoid and (I believe) newly divorced Strindberg allegedly wrote to the sound of the news paper printing machines at night. I have a theory that Inferno may have been the birth of Swedish industrial.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

OCPM

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on November 02, 2014, 02:37:36 PM
Inferno was written partly in Ystad in a building adjacent to Ystads Allehanda. The paranoid and (I believe) newly divorced Strindberg allegedly wrote to the sound of the news paper printing machines at night. I have a theory that Inferno may have been the birth of Swedish industrial.

Inferno is a different book though, i think (?) where a lot of writing from Occult Diary was included? I think the diaries were more scattered whereas Inferno was a more chronologic autobiography. I might be wrong. Definitely had some trouble figuring out what was written when.
interesting nonetheless.

GEWALTMONOPOL

I think so but they must be from and about the same time.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

marcel.kluza

Now I am reading Brian Tracy and The Real Secret of Success from 2008.
Very good book

And I recommend a site http://www.exea.pl/uslugi-cloud

cr

Maybe quite silly question, but inspired by reading the really interesting 'Power Electronics Cinema' - article in Exoteric #6 again, I asked myself, if there are any recommended books, you would file under 'Power Electronics Literature'?