What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

after a mention in f&v interview with scatmother, have dug out 'hogg' by samuel r delaney.
this deeply perverse novel is absent from the writers bibliography in his currently available books-sci fi essentially.
delaney was black and a son of an upper class family
published in the 1990's, it is an opus of filth
lazy comparison is sotos crossed with selby jr and i like lazy comparisons cos i am not a reviewer.

holy ghost

Quote from: neolithic cravings on May 10, 2017, 08:53:58 PM
the shadow of the torturer-gene wolfe

Loved this series. Read read.

I'm reading Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan. I'm waiting on new books from Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss and this is an easy little read. I'm reluctant to take on too many fantasy series at the same time but this an easy little read and apparently he's already written the entire series of before publishing any of them.

I also read The Woman In Cabin 10 which is an easy Girl on the Train style book but I really enjoyed it. I like these easy thrillers for summer where I can sit on a deck, crush a few beers and read something not too heavy.

Starting on the Cosy book tomorrow when I finish the Age of Myth.

Deadpriest

From the selection of poetry I'm reading at the moment (only reading poetry at the moment and a little non fiction) I am particularly enjoying Oscar Wilde, Carol Rumens, Frances Driscoll, Charles Bukowski and Benjamin Decasseres.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

david lloyd jones

peterson's re edited/rewritten etc mags now called 'mouth'.
yes, sotos raises his head, but this is more than sotos worship, whilst mining similar areas.
as is often so, younger people covering similar ground, do so for their own reasons, not for plagiarism.
granted some photos would make for juicier reading, but the mags themselves make for heavy enjoyment.
massively superior to the juvenilia of wonderland media's initial forays into print.

Peterson

Heh, thanks David. An ignoble effort that's slowly improving...

The Lost Weekend, Charles Jackson (1944)
          Only partly into the early portions of this book, but worth noting after I tried to watch the Billy Wilder film version to no avail - too bland and dulled by the standards of it's time (removes references to homosexuality) and by the excesses of today in comparison. So far, though, the book is a lot bleaker, sleazier, and true-to-life regarding brutal levels of alcoholism, one element the movie did not use is that the main character smashes his face on a staircase railing early on in the book, making him pretty badly (if temporarily) disfigured for the duration. With that, you take a rather different journey via the book rather than the film. Has an impressionistic quality that's very appropriate for themes of addiction and overall it puts shit like Bukowski or Kerouac to shame very easily.

inculcated

Blueprints for Counter Education.
More of an art object, than a book, produced at the height of hippy counter-culture and student movement.It includes three "charts" to be used as a visual guide. All of the references on these "charts", can be filtered through the thoughts of Herbert Marcuse and Marshall McLuhan.An artefact of the movement that would become increasingly intolerant of any free-speech other than their own.

david lloyd jones

just bought what may be the first bio post brady's death.
' ian brady: the untold story of the moors murders' by Dr Alan Keighley on robson press.
cc
this is the insight of a lecturer in religion who met, wrote to, and ? befriended brady.

cr

EJAKULAATIO and SLAVES III zines.

Great entertainment and education from first to last page.

inculcated

Francis Parker Yockey - Selected essays
Good revolutionary literature even if you choose to ignore the  pitfalls of erotomania.

cr

Over the last three weekends:

Bleak Existence

L'Imitation de Jésus-Christ

david lloyd jones

issue 185of 'the darkside' mag ofhorror and the fantastic.
been a more enjoyable issue than last one, with interviews re-stephen thrower's fulci book reissue, asia argento intv,godfrey ho chop socky insanity amongst other things.

Deadpriest

Print out of a link that someone enough was kind enough to leave on here, to a largish document of an essay about Robert Lax
Which I am treating as my poem for the day!!

Deadpriest

The six book hentai/guro manga seriese La Blue Girl by Toshio Maeda.
I will NEVER read this nonsense again,,, Just kidding I definitely will.

holy ghost

I read a bunch of books on my vacation:

The Man in the High Castle (really great, enjoyable read)
The Noise of Time (novel about anxious Shotakovich and his relationship with the Soviet union. Was really enjoyable altgough really short)
Art Sex Music (very much enjoyed but okay we get it. Gen is a piece of shit)
American Gods: I'm about 600 pages in. Living it.