TRUE CRIME & RELATED

Started by tiny_tove, February 23, 2010, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/09/cleveland_woman_repeatedly_sta.html#incart_river_home_pop

"Cleveland woman repeatedly stabs boyfriend after finding him naked on top of 12-year-old daughter, reports say"
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

slugbait

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 15, 2017, 07:17:42 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/09/cleveland_woman_repeatedly_sta.html#incart_river_home_pop

"Cleveland woman repeatedly stabs boyfriend after finding him naked on top of 12-year-old daughter, reports say"

That sounds like trouble.  Cleveland is a tough town.  I like these two quotes from the article:

"The man told police that his girlfriend may have attacked him because she thought her 12-year-old daughter had feelings for him..."
"The woman and her daughter gave a different account of what happened."

Peterson

http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/02/las-vegas-shooting-update-50-dead-more-t

Biggest mass shooting so far in U.S. At least 50 dead, 400 injured. Intense...

bitewerksMTB

Anyone paying attention to the news on the LV massacre & have a half-cocked theory? Lots of conspiracy theories on gun forums about the guy. Everything from he was killed by someone else in the room to antifa literature found and photos of him in a pink outfit at a anti-Trump rally.

Last night, it was reported he was firing at some fuel tanks near the concert location but the bullets failed to penetrate. His car was packed with Tannerite but no word if it was mixed or if he tried firing at the car. If the Tannerite was mixed & he had hit it, it would have been one hell of huge explosion!

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/las-vegas-strip-shooter-targeted-aviation-fuel-tanks-source-says/

Peterson

My guess is that he was just a tightly-wound guy who eventually snapped. Motive seems so unclear and unless anything else comes out, I just think he was tired of life and wanted to take folks out with him. Seems like he might've had some genetic issues re: his Dad's criminal history, but I dunno.

online prowler

Quote from: Peterson on October 06, 2017, 12:15:54 AM
My guess is that he was just a tightly-wound guy who eventually snapped. Motive seems so unclear and unless anything else comes out, I just think he was tired of life and wanted to take folks out with him. Seems like he might've had some genetic issues re: his Dad's criminal history, but I dunno.

I think that is a very superficial, easy and safe way to see it. Most likely complex reason. I remember in Norway after Breivik shot those bunch a people there was a similar jargon in the public which was based in a collective self-denial, us vs them as well as two-face mentality, uh.... it was ridiculous the whole thing. Eh! We as a society are partially responsible for what he turned out to be. Looking past his grandiose self-worth and misguided political aspirations there were red flags all the way from his childhood throughout his adult life. In the end, he was neglected and shunned. This is what we get.    

If I where to speculate on the US I see pe themes: Hate, alienation, radicalization, death drive, self-annihilation, a 'superior' psychology, mental illness (from depression to anti-social disorders) and - An inmost need to explode in all directions.  

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/las-vegas-strip-shooter-targeted-aviation-fuel-tanks-source-says/

Peterson

Frankly I don't see much of a difference between your examples and my assessment save for the "this is what we get" moral. I think it's fairly obvious society and it's myriad ills are at least partly to blame for individuals who "explode" etc. In all fairness, I don't see much "safety" in the idea that certain individuals might suddenly become violent in a way that's not meaningfully preventable, rather the opposite. Also, we knew Brevik had ideological motivations almost immediately, whereas there's more to be found regarding this guy. Call it "superficial" if you want, but saying there's still questions to be answered seems reasonable enough to me.

Kim V

Quote from: Peterson on October 06, 2017, 04:09:00 AM
Frankly I don't see much of a difference between your examples and my assessment save for the "this is what we get" moral. I think it's fairly obvious society and it's myriad ills are at least partly to blame for individuals who "explode" etc. In all fairness, I don't see much "safety" in the idea that certain individuals might suddenly become violent in a way that's not meaningfully preventable, rather the opposite. Also, we knew Brevik had ideological motivations almost immediately, whereas there's more to be found regarding this guy. Call it "superficial" if you want, but saying there's still questions to be answered seems reasonable enough to me.

agree with you there. To me it seems you both say the same, just differently formulated.
you're just a victim of yourself

david lloyd jones

all the planning appears to contradict any 'explosion' theories
buying and reconfiguring guns etc , recon, 3 days to move multi suitcases into room etc, etc.
dad a major psychopath- like father, like son...

online prowler

Quote from: Sigil23 on October 06, 2017, 04:24:30 PM
Quote from: Peterson on October 06, 2017, 04:09:00 AM

agree with you there. To me it seems you both say the same, just differently formulated.

I disagree. 'To explode in all directions' can be a very thought through and reflected decision that at times correlate w fanti-social disorders/attitudes, deadly physical illness, etc. It's not about being crazy at all or snapping in my book. It is planned and pre-meditated act. In this concept, it is about killing oneself directly or in-directly (socially if one survives) and dragging along as much as possible life in the drain. See for instance the case of pilot Andreas Lubitz who allegedly crashed a Germanwings aircraft into the Alps back in 2015 and killing all 150 people on board. Brevik later said he never thought he would survive even though he planned his escape.

RE 'safety'... I was referring to this in conjunction w self-denial and not wanting to look into / at oneself as a means for self-preservation and upholding set self-image. In a very general term it is easier to blame one or 'the others' and not look at the society as a whole - or one's role in it. This was one of the fall pits Norway fell into during Breivik.  

Anyways, this will for sure be an interesting case to follow.

Peterson

There was never any implication in my comment that his actions weren't premeditated, I think it sort of goes without saying that it (obviously) was. For one, I don't understand how wanting more questions answered before trying to seriously imagine a viable motive equates with deflecting blame elsewhere (seriously??), and two, you seem to feel that "blame" is an important factor here for reasons that escape me. I think "blame" can be determined when you have more facts. Third, what some guy in Vegas killing 50 innocent people has to do with my own "self-denial" and "self-image" is rather abstract, not sure what you really mean by that. If you're just implying that society helps create violent folks, well, duh.

online prowler

Quote from: Peterson on October 06, 2017, 06:55:57 PM
There was never any implication in my comment that his actions weren't premeditated, I think it sort of goes without saying that it (obviously) was. For one, I don't understand how wanting more questions answered before trying to seriously imagine a viable motive equates with deflecting blame elsewhere (seriously??), and two, you seem to feel that "blame" is an important factor here for reasons that escape me. I think "blame" can be determined when you have more facts.

I made the comment because I think it is an interesting case in progress just as you I suspect. I felt however that your comment about snapping was hasted and thin. As you mention, no word about not being premeditated. In regards to the rest, you jump too fast to conclusions and are so gravely off the point that it is difficult to follow you. It's not about blame at all, but responsibility among other things. I end my talk here, but look forward to hear US peoples experience around the case and the American society when it settles down. 

online prowler

Arctic style animal love:

https://www.nrk.no/nordland/naken-mann-gikk-til-angrep-i-fjos-i-lofoten-1.13725384

Text in Norwegian. Headline reads: 'Naked man committed assault in stable'.