Your Favorite Metal Releases.

Started by RyanWreck, January 11, 2012, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghoulson

this should interest some people here: https://soundcloud.com/irkallianoracle
I released it and also contributed with some soundwork. for more info visit http://bolvark.blogspot.com

martialgodmask

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 14, 2013, 09:24:15 PM
The few tracks I listened to from the new full-length from MOSS were pretty good. I've ignored their past work but not sure why. Maybe songs were too long but also thinking it had something to do with the vocals? I need to re-listen as vocals are fine on the new release.

Olly the singer is living out his Ozzy fantasy now on the newest album, previous efforts were a lot more howl/scream based. From what I've heard, I prefer the older style but I haven't heard the new one in full yet so will refrain from judgement.

jesusfaggotchrist

more people should try and accurately imitate Ozzy and Dio in the doom field. I miss Count Raven, their singer was a dead ringer for Ozzy.

my question is, who has done the Dio sound accurately in doom metal?

kettu

solitude aeternus and trouble both have nice higher register singers. not accurate dio but good shit.

Zeno Marx

I was never a Dio fan, and his albums with Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell suffer from awful, period production.  I don't find them heavy, powerful, or anything positive.  They annoy me more than anything.  I didn't care for the major label metal sound of the 80s.  To a pleasant, great surprise, the Radio City Music Hall live album has opened my eyes to those songs.  I only wish everything Dio did with them had that heaviness and power.  I thought Neon Nights was going to be another great treasure, but it isn't.  It's better than the studio albums, but it's weak in comparison to Radio City.  From what little I've seen, the Radio City DVD is also really good.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

HongKongGoolagong

I'm listening to the new Black Sabbath '13' and even though it's almost self-parody and they really must have put such thought into what sounds like classic Sabbath riffs and lyrics and how to not disappoint an audience and what their expectations are - it's still about the most successful 'comeback'/reformation project I've ever heard. Some of these fuckers, the Sex Pistols and the Velvet Underground for instance, were a horrible con trick of four strangers playing in an enormous room for the cash with no passion. Despite the obvious autotune on the vocals and a brickwalled mastering job, this has a distant ring of sincerity and art to it.

Hearing the first three Sabbath albums at a young age was very influential to me, the only comparable metal I have ever heard has been Slayer 'Reign In Blood' and the second/third/fourth Darkthrone records.

Andrew McIntosh

What I've heard of the new Black Sabbath album sounds to me like a more recent Doom band trying to ape the early Sabs sound. It reminds me, once again, that too many bands have used-by dates and are better to stick to them.
Shikata ga nai.

RyanWreck

Zeno Marx

The very first stanza of 13 is gross.  It sounds like Geezer is referencing Charlie Sheen and "winning" (and yes, I'm familiar with BS lyrics).  No thank you.  I only listened to about a third of the album and went to listen to something else.  I'm not hearing anything interesting or of quality in 13.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

RG

I've really become somewhat obsessed with Celtic Frost Monotheist lately. What a great, powerful, dark album. Simplistic approach but very heavy and effective. It's one of those albums that creates a world you can get lost in. The first Triptykon album continues the same path set by Monotheist and has some great tracks but overall didn't grab me like Monotheist

Amazing how Tom G. Warrior (and Martin Ain on Monotheist) are still capable of manifesting such darkness even after all these years, still more effectively than the many legions of bands who were deeply influenced by them.

Great video of their full concert @ Wacken 2006: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgVyePcK68A

Andrew McIntosh

"Monotheist" was a bit of an obsession when I first got it, too. Listening to the album in one sitting really did feel like I had undergone some kind of suffocation rite and had come out the other end. It is a particularly good release.

You're also right about "Eparistera Daimones" - it sounded more like potential than fulfillment, and I'm not sure why, really. Perhaps because it's more sided towards Fischer's song-writing and lacks whatever influence Ain brings? I haven't heard "Shatter".
Shikata ga nai.

RG

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on August 12, 2013, 05:20:28 AM
You're also right about "Eparistera Daimones" - it sounded more like potential than fulfillment, and I'm not sure why, really. Perhaps because it's more sided towards Fischer's song-writing and lacks whatever influence Ain brings?

I watched an interview the other day with Fischer and he was talking about the end of Celtic Frost and starting a new band, and he said he wrote "90%" of CF's material. That could very well be, but the 10% that presumably came from Ain might have been the vital component that turned CF from average into something special. It's probably one of those partnerships where the participants are perfectly capable on their own and just "good", but when they join forces they can attain things not possible on their own. Maybe Ain's contributions were more quality control and arrangement rather than just writing.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Fischer and Ain might work together again. It seems like Fischer had issues with the other two members in the resurrected CF and him and Ain have more of a lifelong-friends/brothers relationship. Very excited to hear the new Triptykon album though, I've read that it's coming out early next year

Zeno Marx

Sea Bastard - s/t 2012 - This band is pretty amazing. It's a dying art that was never very prolific in the first place, but I haven't heard sludge this good since maybe the 90s. I'm surprised a label like Southern Lord isn't all over this band. Sea Bastard is better than most of the SL doom roster I've heard. I can't find a weak spot. Vocals, check. Drum sound, check (key to sludge and doom in my opinion). Repetitive sludge, check. (catchy) riffs, check. Groove, check. Songwriting, check. Long songs with no-to-little dragging, check (no easy task). It's really too bad for them about the state of record prices and the insane shipping and little trading. They'd move a couple thousand of these 2LPs if this was 1995 at $12-14ppd.
http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/album/sea-bastard
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

RyanWreck

Holy shit, I can't wait for this...

Nekrofilth is one of the best active bands making Metal these days. Their 2011 LP, "Worship Destruction", is in my top 3 favorite Metal albums from this decade. I've been talking about that album whenever someone brings up a "suggest me some good new Metal" threads or asks me on RYM or wherever. Nekrofilth sounds a lot like Canada's Slaughter, and it seems they worship everything on "Strappado" (the best Metal album to come from Canada, in my opinion) especially the Guitar tone; dirty and fuzzy, and the vocals which are mainly just gruff shouts. No bells and whistles. "Worship Destruction" was just over 15 minutes of pissed off Slaughter worship with some hinting at Hellhammer and plenty of simple Punk riffs made all the better with that nasty Guitar tone. Here is the full album for you to form your own opinions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_DSODRMmg

I can't wait to hear what they did on this new album. And like thousands of Metal releases to come out in Q3, October 31 is the release date.

*edit* Looks like HHR put up a few preview tracks:

http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/devils-breath

Zeno Marx

Since there doesn't appear to be a dedicated grindcore thread, the Dead material from the Dead/Regurgitate CD is great.  Heavy.  Grooving.  I seem to remember the album that followed was nowhere near as good as these tracks.  Gut touched on a similar heavy pocket, but again, it wasn't anywhere close to this stuff.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.