Your Favorite Metal Releases.

Started by RyanWreck, January 11, 2012, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanWreck

I know this isn't Industrial or Noise but I really didn't think it belonged in the Art section. I know we have a ton of Metal heads here, and most of you were brought into Industrial/Noise/PE through Metal. What are some of your favorite Metal releases of all time?

I did a pretty in depth list of mine with short reviews over at RYM, it is still a work in progress but the first 25 have been established. I tend to like the dirty and evil Speed Metal genre with punk flavoring and Thrash, as you will see:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/RyanWreck/ryans_top_100_metal_albums__wip

Your favorites? Comments? Ideas? Metal discussion in general is welcome.

RG

No love for Ride the Lightning?! Say what you want about their post-80s stuff, but RtL should be on every metal fan's top albums list. Nobody will think less of you, haha.

Brad

The only "metal" I ever listen to is industrial-crossover stuff like Ministry and Godflesh.  I was brought into industrial more through alternative rock than actual metal.  

bitewerksMTB

Alot of those are my faves too. I remember getting "Power from Hell" LP from Pushead but I don't remember it being very good. Should give it a listen. I remember not liking Bulldozer's 1st LP back then, thinking it was too much like Venom but I like it now. I'd have to include Voivod "War and Pain", Mercyful Fate "Melissa", Sodom's debut 12", Venom's first few... Black Sabbath would have to be on the list. Hallow's Eve "Tales of Terror" is great. I had the cassette when it was released & bought it really cheap on LP when I signed up to ebay (got their 2nd LP too).

I listen to waaaaay more metal nowadays than anything else.

Mikko's fave metal list should be a good one...

For me, Metallica's debut (still own the LP). Never liked most of RTL & some of MoP. Also would have to include Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Exodus, Hirax (like'em more now than I did back then due to his vocals).

JoeTheStache

Just about everything from Mötorhead. 

locustfurnace

Not all 100% Metal but related enough to fit here...all these get regular spins...all bona fide classics!!!!

Godflesh - Streetcleaner
Carcass - Symphonies Of Sickness
Swans - Public Castration Is A Good Idea
Neurosis - Enemy Of The Sun
Repulsion - Horrified
Napalm Death - Scum
Deicide - Deicide
Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
Impaled Nazarene - Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Death Strike - Fuckin' Death
W.A.S.P - The Headless Children
Ministry - Psalm 69
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Blasphemy - Fallen Angel Of Doom
Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
Corrupted - Paso Inferior
Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
S.O.D. - Speak English Or Die
Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: RyanWreck on January 11, 2012, 09:00:59 PM
most of you were brought into Industrial/Noise/PE through Metal.

This is something I've always found interesting. Although I was Metal in the Eighties and punk in the Nineties I didn't actually get into Noise/PE/etc. through those genres but came to it more independently, and at first I didn't make any real link. Yet, there is some kind of crossover, at least in terms of intensity and intent. I'd be more interested in knowing if and how people see a connection.

I'd think the more obvious connection would be between punk and Industrial. Both have similar roots - one thinks of SPK and Einstürzende Neubauten. But that was a couple of generations ago. When I interviewed a few people involved in Noise/PE I found it very common for them to have a background in hardcore/grindcore/Metal before coming to Noise, due to what they perceived as a similarity in feeling. I'd assume that would be the case for many others.

As far as favourites are concerned - Venom's albums up to Possessed, Voi Void's first three albums, Metallica's Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets, Warfare, Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Motorhead from the old school. Immortal, Emperor, Limbonic Art from the first wave of BM. Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Leviathan, Xasthur from the more recent waves of BM.

(PS - Motorhead are an interesting proposition. It's been written before, and I agree, that they don't so much make good albums as good songs. It's not easy to put down which is one of their better albums for that reason although Ace Of Spades and Inferno are definitely impossible to ignore. Regardless, they wear the crown - even if they don't actually identify as a Metal band. I suppose when you're Motorhead you can do what the fuck you want).
Shikata ga nai.

RyanWreck

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 11, 2012, 11:24:45 PM
Alot of those are my faves too. I remember getting "Power from Hell" LP from Pushead but I don't remember it being very good. Should give it a listen.

It is fairly simple and monotone but that's what I really like about it, and what I enjoyed about the first 2 Bathory albums; 3-4 fast riffs per song, mid-paced punk drumming and catchy chorus'.

And yea I listen to far more Metal these days than even Noise. I went to my family's house for the holidays and got my box of records and CD's out of the shed and forgot how much great stuff was in there and have been possessed by everything in it for weeks now.

If anyone is looking for Exciter "Heavy Metal Maniac" on wax I have an extra, the spine and insert is bent up a little bit but nothing crazy. I won't charge anything crazy but I would rather trade. Would get rid of my Septic Death records/tapes too, never really got into them.

Brad

What kind of surprises me is how few people in the true industrial/noise/PE scene used to be dark electro/EBM kids, since all of that stuff is is commonly marketed as "industrial music" and search engines don't know the difference. 

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

GEWALTMONOPOL

I arrived at SPK via synthpop and EBM as a 13-14 year old who was very much a part of the synth scene. For me SPK were on the most extreme end of the electronic music spectrum with perhaps someone like Yazoo at the other end. That may seem odd today but when speaking to many German friends that's often their link as well. Only the idiots who used mopeds and were generally braindead listened to metal where I came from. The possibility of me ever listening to "their" music back then was unthinkable.

I could be wrong but I think CMI was the label to forge a link between metal and industrial. This happened later in the 90's long after originators like TG and SPK had shut shop.

Having spent a couple of teenage years being very anti guitars I began to open my ears bit by bit as things like Foetus, Young Gods and Laibach appeared and did interesting things. The odd friend here and there would play stuff like Metallica and Slayer which I listened to with some interest. The first band/album I really took on board was Metallica's And Justice for All which I bought in 89. For it's long intricate tracks and cold, dry production it's still my favourite Metallica album. Another album to act as an attractor was Death's Leprosy which to my then 16 year old ears was the heaviest most brutal thing I'd ever heard. It's still the only one of their albums I care about.

As I began working at a club where several legendary punk, HC and metal bands of various sub genres played it soon followed that my tastes evolved and I embraced a whole host of bands from there. The journey has never ceased. To write a list of favourite metal bands is impossible. There are hundreds, possibly thousands, who've influenced, inspired, impressed, titillated and blown me away with their varied styles and approaches.

Motorhead to me is first and foremost a traditional rockband following in the footsteps of Jerry Lee Lewis turned up to 111.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

THE RITA HN

BLACKDEATH - Fucking Fullmoon Foundation

RyanWreck

Quote from: RG on January 11, 2012, 10:53:20 PM
No love for Ride the Lightning?! Say what you want about their post-80s stuff, but RtL should be on every metal fan's top albums list. Nobody will think less of you, haha.

I never really gave Metallica a chance due to them...well, being Metallica and that sound doesn't mesh with my personal tastes so I can't say whether or not I really like the album because I never spent much time with it, nor really any of their albums. But I have never really been big on a lot of the more "traditional" Thrash bands with a handful of exceptions (Razor, Tankard, Carnivore, Exodus, Sacred Reich to name a few). I've always liked the older, rawer "Teutonic" labeled stuff and first-wave Black Metal and Speed Metal bands.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: RyanWreck on January 12, 2012, 05:12:41 AM
Quote from: RG on January 11, 2012, 10:53:20 PM

I never really gave Metallica a chance due to them...well, being Metallica and that sound doesn't mesh with my personal tastes so I can't say whether or not I really like the album because I never spent much time with it, nor really any of their albums.

Strictly by the music, having looked at your list, it would make absolutely no sense to me if you didn't like Kill 'Em All a lot.  Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, and And Justice?  I understand why you might not.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

RyanWreck

Haven't listened to it, at least not for maybe 10 years or so, since high-school. The only song I remember from it is "Whiplash" because I liked that track, can't remember much else.

On another note, what does everyone think about this whole "War Metal" hype as of the last few years? Personally I am not a huge fan. Too over the top for my tastes. I did like the first Proclamation LP and I love Perversor's "Demon Metal" EP although that is arguably more South America styled Deathrash soaked in old school reverb production techniques. Revenge (Canada) is horrid.