Books about noise/experimental music

Started by acsenger, December 26, 2011, 02:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

Good topic. The problem with books of this nature is that most will cater to students/academics since the field of more 'popular' (for lack of better words) interest outside of these areas is very small and unlikely to sustain any kind of sales or publishing interest.  These books are almost all written by university professors.  Same old story...this is why the real stuff is found in zines etc most of the time.

All that said, I am a student and this is the stuff I love. I have no problem (now) with academic writing but accept that is definitely quite marginalising and thats a shame.  Also, a lot of what has been written about noise even in terms of bands, artists, music etc can be quite fairly criticised for being reductive and inaccurate.  This is the biggest problem with Noise/Music: A History as I see it, even if I do find it useful.  I agree totally with DDmurph though in that a detailed list of events throughout noise and industrial history is just not what the book is about or tries to be.  Paul Hegarty is a philosophy professor and the book should be seen more through that lens.  When he does talk about 'noise music' he does so in a way that seems to leave quite a lot of important information out and I think the theories he puts forward become quite unstable when viewing what noise is/does/is about outside of the narrow 90s Japan frame he uses.  Also I often wonder whether the things he argues for match up with his feelings as a fairly regular performing artist? This gets no mention at all (or I don't think it does) in his book.  The more I read that book the more I become convinced of its flaws, but also the less I feel he deserves the universal lambasting he has received from noise fans.

So anyway, here are some which I haven't seen mentioned, pretty much all academic but folk may like it.

Newish one with stuff from Hegarty again.  A lot of this deals with noise from many angles other than music. I've read the first part and lots of it I didn't understand a lot of it! Even so there are some good essays in here which provoke a lot of thought.  The publisher, continuum, has a lot of things planned for this year which should focus a bit more on noise as we know it.  One forthcoming book even has a whole essay dedicated to filthy turd.

This is actually really good.  Easily the best book I've read so far which deals in many forms of experimental, electronic music; a fair chunk of noise included.  Very readable and doesn't seek to push her own philosophies everywhere. Deals with much more factual and observational elements. Recommended even for those who don't enjoy academic writing!!

New one by the same dude who wrote microbionic (by the way, is there anywhere this can be ordered for a reasonable amount of money? so far WAY expensive).  Deals with the idea of handmade audio and so LOTS about cassette underground and mail art.  Quite a lot of contextual history in there and at times veers away from what you'd expect but still covers some interesting ground.  Must be mentioned that Mikko Aspa gets a bit of a grilling in this one! hope he doesn't mind my posting it.

I don't have this one but I've read a few essays in there which I enjoyed and found myself thinking about a lot. Those suspicious of the kind of books I've recommended thus far may find extra issue in that this is published in collaboration with Wire magazine!!!

There is a lot more out there but I know less about them. Also, they can be very, VERY expensive and probably hard to find outside of university libraries.  There are some interesting essays in journals which I've managed to find a lot of in pdf form.  Once again, very academic but dealing with more up to date stuff.  If anyone is interested in these give me a PM and I'll be happy to send any of them you find interesting along.

redswordwhiteplough

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: redswordwhiteplough on January 23, 2013, 09:43:25 PM
Quote from: ironfistofthesun on December 26, 2011, 11:10:56 PM
England's Hidden reverse

I find it weird that Death In June was not included.

There is more strange things. But the most important is that after reading this book still I don't know what kind of England's reverse was hidden.

post-morten

Quote from: Duncan on January 23, 2013, 04:15:21 PM
I don't have this one but I've read a few essays in there which I enjoyed and found myself thinking about a lot. Those suspicious of the kind of books I've recommended thus far may find extra issue in that this is published in collaboration with Wire magazine!!!

We had this one (Undercurrents) as a textbook when I took a course in sound art at the University Of Stockholm a few years back. Most of the essays had previously been published in various issues of Wire, but I think they worked much better compiled into an anthology. Really nice reading, a lot of it.

tisbor

QuoteOne forthcoming book even has a whole essay dedicated to filthy turd.

First i read about academic essays on black metal gender issues, then this. Maybe I should enroll back to university.

alexreed

And pardon the plug, but this just came out.  It takes a wide view of what "industrial" is covering both the noise and dance areas from the beginnings to the present, talking a bit about their relationship to one another.  Doesn't really get into the modern corners of harsh noise, but acknowledges them and maybe has some interesting ideas that could be applied easily.  There's a whole chapter on fascist iconography.

http://www.amazon.com/Assimilate-Critical-History-Industrial-Music/dp/0199832609/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: alexreed on May 22, 2013, 09:02:02 PM
And pardon the plug, but this just came out.  It takes a wide view of what "industrial" is covering both the noise and dance areas from the beginnings to the present, talking a bit about their relationship to one another.  Doesn't really get into the modern corners of harsh noise, but acknowledges them and maybe has some interesting ideas that could be applied easily.  There's a whole chapter on fascist iconography.

http://www.amazon.com/Assimilate-Critical-History-Industrial-Music/dp/0199832609/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

It looks great. Besides Amazon, where could I buy it?

acsenger

Quotehttp://www.amazon.com/Japanoise-Music-Circulation-Storage-Transmission/dp/082235392X

Thanks for the link, I just pre-ordered it. I hope it won't be disappointing and too heavy on theories.

Duncan

Quote from: acsenger on May 23, 2013, 06:02:34 AM
Quotehttp://www.amazon.com/Japanoise-Music-Circulation-Storage-Transmission/dp/082235392X

Thanks for the link, I just pre-ordered it. I hope it won't be disappointing and too heavy on theories.

It looks quite promising from the description.  Seems to do what most other texts miss out on which is look into the artists and audiences for primary theories rather than works of philosophy.

FreakAnimalFinland

Started reading:
Troubadours of the Apocalypse: Voices from the Neofolk, Industrial & Neoclassical Underground
Contributors include Gerhard Hallstatt (Allerseelen), Miklós Hoffer (H.E.R.R.), Raymond P. (Von Thronstahl / The Days of the Trumpet Call), Richard Leviathan (Strength Through Joy / Ostara), Robert Taylor (Changes), Grzegorz Siedlecki (Horologium), Cornelius Waldner (Sagittarius), Dev (While Angels Watch), Christopher Walton (AbRAXAS / Endura / TenHornedBeast) and Kristian Olsson (Survival Unit). Edited by Troy Southgate. Evil voices could say that it's just Troy and his friends but fuck.. we all tend to lean towards groups we are naturally drawn to. Like basically all books Troy has been editing, it's him as editor & publisher, bunch of other guys writing chapter. He probably asks the guys he is in touch with and know can deliver something.

That is something what I admire in underground. Not intent to write a bible of industrial / neofolk, but simply gathering of circle of sort-of-like-minded folks who meet in specific part of the underground culture. To call the bands to be "some of the best known" or "some of the most recognized" (whatever was the sale pitch) may be exaggeration, but in conclusion with half finished book: More of stuff like this could be good.

Nowadays printing books is easy. It's all about gathering of people & getting energy together. Some physical signs of creativity in concrete form. We barely need one bible or handbook of industrial culture. Better is to have small & different perspectives. Who's ready for the task? At least mr. Southgate has proven to be man to get things done..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Strömkarlen

Well I guess I should blow my horn. I've released a book by Jack Sargeant called Against Control which inlcudes a round-up of Burroughs work in both audio and movies among other essays. Other more noise/industrial related books are in the works but knowing my usual pace they will be awhile...

http://eightmillimetres.bigcartel.com/product/against-control