Anomalous Records

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 18, 2010, 06:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Yesterday was listening to Agog LP on Anomalous Records. It's pretty quiet electro-acoustic, but at the same time very physical and.. well, kind of rough. Some tracks you could imagine little bit of mixture Jeph Jermann and 1st LP of The New Blockaders. Lots of metal, lots of smaller and more fragile objects. Multilayers, but pretty clean in effects.

List includes Hand To, Animist Orchestra, Mnemonists, RLW,... And many on vinyl records.

PRe-Anomalous label did that v/a Perpetual State Of Oracular Dream LP which is pretty nice too.

Now when I look the discography, it's not so huge, but I do wonder hows all those to me unknown names.. Mike Shannon? Jonathan Coleclough? Robert Millis? and so on...
And is there any "modern day equivalents" of what they were doing? Who does vinyl of this type of stuff now?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Coleclough is/was top shelf drone and ambient.  Some of his work is upper echelon and highly recommended (Cake, Windlass, Period).  Nobody, that I know of, is covering this ground on vinyl, but labels that play in a similar field are Mystery Sea, Helen Scarsdale Agency, and/OAR, and some of Alluvial Recordings.  It's better off on CD anyway.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

heretogo

A very good label. I only have a few of the releases, but it's mostly top drawer stuff. Favorites include the Uncommon Nature comp. LP, focusing on field recordings and other stuff related to nature. And the Hands To LP Egress is one of Jeph's greatest moments in my book.

Right now I'm listening to Mike Shannon - Laguz LP. A mixed bag, some delicate bells, field recordings (incl. what sounds like a weird preacher in action), drony string playing, hand clapping and all sorts of strange ethnic instruments. Mostly quite graceful but there are some slightly rougher parts also. Not really ambient or improv, something in between. A very nice listen, but doesn't really form a cohesive whole.

bogskaggmannen

I recall the Voice Of Eye live-LP is good enough, but you need your hair to grow a bit longer to fully enjoy that one, Mikko! I can't see you enjoy Coleclough however much you would try, though.

I have been thinking to get that Lanzilotta 10" several times, but for some reason didn't. Same goes for Solid Eye - any recommendations? And please, why?

Zeno - while I can see your point with CDs instead of vinyl for these type of artists I don't fully agree. To me most often these kind of works works best when the format length is restricted. CDs don't hold my attention, generally, especially in these cases where they mostly are too long.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on February 18, 2010, 11:14:29 PMZeno - while I can see your point with CDs instead of vinyl for these type of artists I don't fully agree. To me most often these kind of works works best when the format length is restricted. CDs don't hold my attention, generally, especially in these cases where they mostly are too long.
The longer, the better.  These are all highly skilled artists who are fully capable of long derangement of the senses while maintaining a high level of quality throughout the work.  If you can't make it in a single listen, that means you have another waiting for you.

Would like to add that a significant reason why Anomalous vinyl is as nice as it is, is because he used RTI for [possibly] all his pressings.  It's not thick vinyl, but it is clean and well finished.  The sound is impeccable.  He didn't cut any corners when pressing records.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

It has been one of unanswered question for me, if there was any specific reason why LP was 12" and of such length as it is. And not for example 11" or 13". Removal or addition of one more 1", it affects the length of album greatly and if originally LP was 13", it probably would have not affected the popularity?
In case of CD, we know by fact, why it was 74 minutes originally. It's all written in history. And why not for example 60 minute disc with 10cm diameter.
So in the end, I can't say was it result of intentional study/research on ideal length, or did it just happen to be so, that LP length, album devided in 2 parts each no more than c. 20 mins length is what captures so strongly. It is long enough to build even most massive compositions, but short enough to do it without negative effects.
The limited of sound range and dynamics not really limits, when you see how ideally nicer CD is being abused to ruin whole spirit of format what it could have. By majority of publishers and artists.

I can admit, that there ARE artists who can freely create and compose their pieces and come up with great results. But in reality it seems as if certain restrictions, physical reality what affects the intent/composition has the positive results.

I admit that certain material is better on CD. Generally, the more quiet minimal stuff where you don't want surface noise. But what I said above, in my perspective affects a lot of artists and their creations and I simply tend to listen vinyl much much more than any other format. In most of cases sole expense of pressing something, is already such a brutal selector that the material will be better than most. Maximum length of individual release is not important to me. I feel that there was a reason why for so long compositions tend to go 20 mins per side style and why it appeals on human brain so well. Therefore LP releases on this field would be most welcomed. Of course there are plenty of old releases to search for, so need for new items perhaps not most urgent...

bogskaggmannen

Sorry for the slight off-topic here but does any 13" (or larger for that matter) vinyls really exist? I have never seen one.

FreakAnimalFinland

There is 16" LP's in existence. But I guess mainly used in 40's or so for radioplays etc.
But yes, seeing one... was it at RRRon's place? Well, that indeed is too big for comfortable handling.