Small synths

Started by Levas, November 30, 2011, 03:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soloman Tump

Quote from: Acne on June 11, 2019, 12:22:29 AM
Quote from: urall on June 06, 2019, 11:54:18 AM
I recently got a Behringer Neutron.
pretty cheap for what you get eventhough it is Behringer.

I think the Neutron is really cool - I've been playing with it a lot and get a lot out of it, for $300 with a free arturia keystep and a pack of nice patch cables it was well worth a pick up

It is very tempting. Almost like a gateway drug into the modular world. Might splash out, theres an ex-demo going cheap on eBay

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: Soloman Tump

It is very tempting. Almost like a gateway drug into the modular world. Might splash out, theres an ex-demo going cheap on eBay

Be careful there. Modular IS a drug and "eurocrack" didn't appear as an expression out of nowhere. It is great, really, but first you buy Doepfer and Behringer and then you end up drooling on Buchlas. It's definitely not a cheap hobby, and you also don't want to try to save on PSUs, racks and monitors (because buying really expensive gear and listening to it throigh cheap computer speakers or not powering it well doesn't really make sense.)
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Acne

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on June 11, 2019, 07:10:13 PM
Quote from: Soloman Tump

Be careful there. Modular IS a drug and "eurocrack" didn't appear as an expression out of nowhere. It is great, really, but first you buy Doepfer and Behringer and then you end up drooling on Buchlas. It's definitely not a cheap hobby, and you also don't want to try to save on PSUs, racks and monitors (because buying really expensive gear and listening to it throigh cheap computer speakers or not powering it well doesn't really make sense.)

The way I figure, money's got to go somewhere:)

Euro Trash Bazooka

Then go for it, sir, it's an amazing world for sure. Just don't go too fast and buy wisely.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

duckworship

Anyone here ever used a Volca Modular? If so, what are the pro / cons of the unit? Seems like a few people on this thread liked the Volca synths.

XXX

Quote from: duckworship on June 13, 2019, 09:09:13 PM
Anyone here ever used a Volca Modular? If so, what are the pro / cons of the unit? Seems like a few people on this thread liked the Volca synths.

if you dont mind the tiny form factor, it's a great bit of kit for the price.

Soloman Tump

I had a good play with the modular, real fun. Probably wouldn't survive 5 minutes if you intend to play out live with it though.

bitewerksMTB

Anyone fiddled with synths by JMT? I have one that has 4 sensor buttons that alter the sound in pretty nasty ways. You can't get 'normal' synth sounds from the model I have so it's mostly good for just rough noise.

I've been eyeing Trogotronic synths as they have an input that would be good for destruction of vocals/feedback, loops, etc.

I know shit about modular. I've used an MS-10 for years n' years but only the input along with white and pink noise. I've connected various others but they never seem to do much so I'm either doing it wrong or they're not working. I've never bothered to look for any sort of instructions or map as I've never had enough cables to really get it going.

duckworship

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 13, 2019, 11:09:34 PM
Anyone fiddled with synths by JMT? I have one that has 4 sensor buttons that alter the sound in pretty nasty ways. You can't get 'normal' synth sounds from the model I have so it's mostly good for just rough noise.

I've been eyeing Trogotronic synths as they have an input that would be good for destruction of vocals/feedback, loops, etc.

I know shit about modular. I've used an MS-10 for years n' years but only the input along with white and pink noise. I've connected various others but they never seem to do much so I'm either doing it wrong or they're not working. I've never bothered to look for any sort of instructions or map as I've never had enough cables to really get it going.

I had 2 synths made by JMT, and one was better than the other, but they were "limited". I remember liking the SNB-2b for what it was worth. I wouldn't mind getting another synth by them, although I think the pricing is a bit astronomical (but that's common with boutique synth / pedal builders).

I would love to have something by Trogotronic, mainly something small and compact like the ms657. Anyone on here ever used that specific model?

No idea if anyone here ever mentioned Electro Lobotomy, but I have a few things by them and they're one of the few "noisemaker" devices I've kept with me on hand: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ElectroLobotomy

Eigen Bast

I have the 12 oscillator JMT drone synth. I love it and constantly use it; simply running it through a distortion creates a thick wall of sound, reverb pairs very well with it too. Intuitive, reliable, pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I would love to try one of their noise synths but they are rather pricey.

I also happen to have an MS657. Imo, it is all you need when it comes to trogotronic noise synths; they are so brutally unstable that the controls on the higher models seem superfluous. It really requires time to learn how to get what sounds you want out of it, but its worth the payoff, and if you note the switch and knob positions, everything is replicable. Insane shrieks, sputtering feedback, hell you can even tease out some rudimentary beats from it. Truly a ton of fun to play with, with enormous depth. I have had it produce some utterly insane sounds paired with other gears/pedals-once during a live gig it somehow it somehow seemed to be modulating my bandmates vocals as I had one of his outs running to the input. It has a habit of overwhelming other pieces of gear, and even at zero gain it will be audible. Nelson actually just put out a new Geronimo record which I am sure will showcase his 'insect war electronics'.

Linked here https://geronimo31g.bandcamp.com/album/obsolete

bitewerksMTB

The other JMT I was considering is the UNVO-1 but now I'm seriously thinking about the Trogo 669cv b/c of the input & he just replied to my email with very detailed answers to my questions. Plus his synth is a little more affordable than the JMT.

I'm not sure I've checked out the Trogo 657 yet...

duckworship

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 14, 2019, 03:30:07 AM
The other JMT I was considering is the UNVO-1 but now I'm seriously thinking about the Trogo 669cv b/c of the input & he just replied to my email with very detailed answers to my questions. Plus his synth is a little more affordable than the JMT.

That's the other JMT synth I had - wasn't really in love with it the whole way. Although, there were some interesting sounds.

Anyone ever used the Arturia MicroFreak? Seems like an interesting small synth with a digital / analog hybrid footprint.
Also, I've been eyeing the Behringer MS-101 (clone of the SH-101). Is it worth $329.99 with the additional features of frequency modulation?

DSOL

Quote from: duckworship on June 14, 2019, 12:35:48 AMI would love to have something by Trogotronic, mainly something small and compact like the ms657. Anyone on here ever used that specific model?

would also like to hear if anyone has used this particular model
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: duckworship on June 14, 2019, 09:49:23 PM

That's the other JMT synth I had - wasn't really in love with it the whole way. Although, there were some interesting sounds.

What was it about the Unvo-1 you did not like?

duckworship

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 15, 2019, 02:45:33 AM
Quote from: duckworship on June 14, 2019, 09:49:23 PM

What was it about the Unvo-1 you did not like?

Although there was some potential with the synth, I felt like it was very limited. Most of the sounds I got out of it were no different than those one-trick "drone boxes" a lot of people make and sell on eBay. I think the addition of the noise generator and the filter was one of the better parts of it though.
I really wish I didn't get rid of the SNB-2b JMT made, and it has a 3 band EQ. I felt like I got more sounds out of that than the UNVO-1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6UjAObapDk