Small synths

Started by Levas, November 30, 2011, 03:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: andy vomit on May 01, 2018, 11:51:20 PM
i just ordered a Moog Werkstatt-01 with the CV expansion. really excited to seeing what kind of sounds i can pull out of it.

anyone have experiences with it?

Werkstatt-01 with the CV expansion has been featured on many Koufar/TCU releases in the past three-four years. Its a great piece of gear Andy. It pairs really REALLY well with another semi modular synth.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

andy vomit

Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on May 02, 2018, 09:34:20 PM
i just ordered a Moog Werkstatt-01 with the CV expansion. really excited to seeing what kind of sounds i can pull out of it.

Werkstatt-01 with the CV expansion has been featured on many Koufar/TCU releases in the past three-four years. Its a great piece of gear Andy. It pairs really REALLY well with another semi modular synth.

it seems i've chosen wisely, then.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: andy vomit on May 02, 2018, 10:46:51 PM
Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on May 02, 2018, 09:34:20 PM

it seems i've chosen wisely, then.

Absolutely, deep sound palette and really depending on what you're hooking it up with, truly endless possibilities. My favorite combo was to have the Microbrute and the Werkstatt modulating each other while running both outputs into two channels.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Potier

Price and footprint may make this thing interesting...

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unosynth/

Coma Detox

Quote from: martialgodmask on April 24, 2018, 11:34:19 PM
Received a Bastl Kastle v1.5 today. I am quite blown away by it. An astoundingly good, tiny bit of kit.

I was pretty surprised about the amount of sounds that can be pulled from this thing.  Just wish it had a 1/4" jack.

hsv

I played around with the Werkstatt+CV for an hour and was very surprised to find that it doesn't have a gate input to trigger the EG, that seems like one of the basic functions of a semi modular (to sequence it with SQ-1 or something like that) and a weird thing to omit.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: tiny_tove on November 25, 2016, 12:09:45 AM
Quote from: parapluie on September 21, 2016, 09:35:34 AM
Sounds great... Although it seems difficult to learn (never tried any modular synth). Can you please make full feedback after stress test ?

sorry, overlooked this.

well completely satisfied.
endless fun, sometime tricky, but well worth the money. It has the typical make noise feel, clear, brutal, dry mayhem, with intense throbbing patterns and high frequences that cuts like blades. it is almost a pity to add other effects, but I am a sucker for reverbs and delay... so I abused him in many ways.
somehow it is an evolved desktop version of the beloved DPO.

looks and sounds very good. :)

Quite keen on getting an 0-coast, its on my list of possible next purchases.

urall

I recently got a Behringer Neutron.
pretty cheap for what you get eventhough it is Behringer.

Hemwick

Quote from: urall on June 06, 2019, 11:54:18 AM
I was actually just going to start a thread about Behringer pedals? Wasn't sure about their quality.  But this  seems interesting to check out too.

Euro Trash Bazooka

There are some ok Behringer pedals and a bunch of bad ones. I tried a Neutron and it was ok, though nothing to write home about. And it's Behringer.

Personally, I hate Behringer with a passion, and I also hate people who buy plenty of cheap gear because it makes for cheap music to me. Although obviously, some cheap stuff can be very good. But I go for the quality over quantity route all the time and I think it's worth it. I'd rather buy less and better.

No Coast is good for what is, and a good entry point to the modular world. With that being said, it's important to keep in mind that MN is a company people into modular feel VERY strongly about (on both sides of the spectrum) and one of the reasons is the fact most of their gear is difficult to grasp when you have no clear idea about what you're getting into because of their graphic designs. I think a No Coast is  not going to help if you want to understand what you're doing and you're just beginning in the modular world. For instance, I have a Maths, which I love, but I had to change its panel because it made no sense to me, with its arrows everywhere, its odd lettering, etc...

Oh, and slightly related, two months ago I bought new monitors for my synths and "studio" (lol), like, proper ones made for mixing and stuff (they weren't that expensive, a few hundred euros.) Needless to say, I rediscovered all my gear and it definitely made the experience of using it much better. People shouldn't pass on good monitors.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Soloman Tump

Well I've been outbid on eBay a couple of times now on the 0coast so I guess its not meant to be right now. Agreed the interface looks cluttered, but essentially its 6 or 7 Eurorack modules in a box so I thinking would get to grips with it.

Also agreed on the power of good monitors! My neighbours complained about my sound in the garage so I've gone back to headphones for a short while though....

Hemwick

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on June 08, 2019, 09:23:31 AM
There are some ok Behringer pedals and a bunch of bad ones. I tried a Neutron and it was ok, though nothing to write home about. And it's Behringer.

Personally, I hate Behringer with a passion, and I also hate people who buy plenty of cheap gear because it makes for cheap music to me. Although obviously, some cheap stuff can be very good. But I go for the quality over quantity route all the time and I think it's worth it. I'd rather buy less and better.

No Coast is good for what is, and a good entry point to the modular world. With that being said, it's important to keep in mind that MN is a company people into modular feel VERY strongly about (on both sides of the spectrum) and one of the reasons is the fact most of their gear is difficult to grasp when you have no clear idea about what you're getting into because of their graphic designs. I think a No Coast is  not going to help if you want to understand what you're doing and you're just beginning in the modular world. For instance, I have a Maths, which I love, but I had to change its panel because it made no sense to me, with its arrows everywhere, its odd lettering, etc...

Oh, and slightly related, two months ago I bought new monitors for my synths and "studio" (lol), like, proper ones made for mixing and stuff (they weren't that expensive, a few hundred euros.) Needless to say, I rediscovered all my gear and it definitely made the experience of using it much better. People shouldn't pass on good monitors.

Thank you for the feedback.  Very valuable information, I'm just starting to make music again and looking for gear and figured I would ask. Definitely going to avoid behringer now.  I rather spend the extra money and have better equipment.  I always figured a 20 30 dollar pedal wouldn't sound to good. 

brutalist_tapes

i use arturia microbrute and korg volca fm at the moment. both are good for p.e. but the microbrute is a little limited, while the fm can make nice, industrial-sounding sounds, but is a bit tricky to program. i would like a second analogue mono synth, maybe one of the cheaper semi-modulars ala behringer's neutron. would also like a waldorf blofeld for more layered, wavetable-based stuff. also, drone boxes like electro-faust's drone thing and the blackdeath granular noise synthesizer looks interesting for more chaotic synth sounds. it seems that it is pretty cheap in this day and age to acquire a simple setup for industrial music if you know what you are looking for... i've never owned any vintage synths though, except for a roland jx-8p if that counts, which was good, but way too heavy and the programming interface was outdated

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: Hemwick on June 08, 2019, 05:40:08 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on June 08, 2019, 09:23:31 AM
Blah blah blah.

Thank you for the feedback.  Very valuable information, I'm just starting to make music again and looking for gear and figured I would ask. Definitely going to avoid behringer now.  I rather spend the extra money and have better equipment.  I always figured a 20 30 dollar pedal wouldn't sound to good. 

You're very welcome. Less is more, especially when buying complex machines like semi-modulars. I think the learning curve with modular synths is really steep. It keeps them interesting but I believe it's important to know why we buy something, especially with the overwhelming (although welcome) availability and choice of what we can buy nowadays. And a $20 pedal can sound amazing if you make it yourself
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Acne

Quote from: urall on June 06, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

I think the Neutron is really cool - I've been playing with it a lot and get a lot out of it, for $300 with a free arturia keystep and a pack of nice patch cables it was well worth a pick up