new Diazepam: Shiver, Wailing of the winds, Deprivation

Started by m., November 16, 2011, 10:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.

Shiver: They will feed on us

"there dies a man in the depths of the vale:
a bird takes flight from the top of the mountain down into the depths of the vale,
and it feeds on the corpse of the dead man there: then, up it flies from the depths of the vale to the top of the mountain:
it flies to some one of the trees there, of the hard-wooded or the soft-wooded,
and upon that tree it vomits and deposits dung"

processed tape loops and field recordings together with violin and cymbals
from eerie noise ambient
to harsh noise chaos
c-30 chrome tape in handmade bag with small insert and bones

Wailing of the winds - s/t

droning acoustic jams with guitar, violin, bells and percussions
influenced by early Amon Duul, Tangerine Dream or Popol Vuh in their worst acid trips
including a Thergothon cover
c-30 chrome tape

Deprivation - s/t

old school death industrial - power electronics
a mix of harsh attacks and monotonous, obsessive moods
inspired by the old italian masters: M.B., Mauthausen Orchestra, Atrax Morgue...
feedbacks, tape manipulations and pedal abuse
recorded straight to tape
hiss and raw "stop button" editing
c-30 chrome tape

samples here:
http://www.soundcloud.com/diazepamnoise

1 tape 5 euro
2 tapes 8 euro
3 tapes 12 euro

all prices including postage worldwide

trades are ok

cheers

http://www.dzpm.blogspot.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/diazepamnoise

m.

reviews from Dead Formats:

Shiver
They Will Feed on Us

Pretty creepy stuff. Starts out very minimal with a sparse, lo fi loop. It then builds up with the sounds of crashing and possibly human wails. It has this vintage sound i have been loving that is similar to Pregnant Spore. Where the sound almost feels like it was created in the 1960s but this was recorded this year. The tape continues with grinding concrete, tuned down guitars and short burst of feedback. It's pretty awesome and very hypnotic. I am already impressed with this Italian label, Diazepam. I believe they are related to the great Ur from Italy. They have just started releasing tapes so I would recommend picking these up right away. This cassette comes in a burlap pouch with some actual bones inside. Eerie.

Wailing of the Winds
s/t

This starts out beautifully. Almost has that Iranian classical music meets Tibetian sound that Master Musicians of Bukkake and Phurpa do so well. Musical saws, tubular bells, strange sounding horns all create a swirling maelstrom of sound that is both abstract and focused at the same time. When the second track comes it becomes much more structured. Still has the qualities of of the first track but you get an acoustic guitar playing a repetitive structure with a simple accompaniment from a violin and some small drums. It's a little too loose for me at times as if the people playing were in a such a trance that they forgot they were playing but it still sounds pretty good. Reminds me a bit of Tony Wakeford's solo work or maybe a bit of Death in June. After that they get down to more of the drone type stuff that is just brilliant. I should mention that the tape ends with a Thergothon cover that is one of the most beautiful pieces of neo-folk I have heard in a long time. Its a bit of a mix of style throughout but it's well worth checking out. Simple J cards and blank cassettes.

m.

Deprivation review from Dead Formats:

"Deprivation create a haunting and brutal soundtrack across the five tracks on this cassette. Lots of rhythmic noise in the style of early Wolf Eyes or maybe Brighter Death Now but mixed with some more lo fi drone moments. The second side adds a little more fear with their filth in the form of what sounds like manipulated screams punctuated with loops of harsh noise that hits you in waves. Good work. "

RyanWreck

Listened to Deprivation 3 times yesterday and I haven't been listening to much Noise at all these days. Really good tape. I enjoyed Shiver a lot too. WOW isn't really my cup of tea though.

RyanWreck

Here is my review for DEPRIVATION from The Pure Stench:

Up-and-coming American label Diazepam (that's the chemical name for Valium for all you nerds) put out 4 tapes in the year of 2011, one of them, the best of the batch in my opinion, is a old-school Power Electronics post-mortem serpent by the name of Deprivation. It seems like this is a straight up simple Noise/PE tape not masquerading as anything of major importance making the sounds here all the more valuable to me. This was a great tape to help get me out of the one-review-per-full moon rut I have been in lately.

The production here is familiar like an old room, typical primal and raw aesthetics that one is used to finding in the Noise genres. This does nothing but help in the overall atmosphere of this tape. Freefalling into sharp harsh noise and gritty background ambiance, each element introduced slowly, until blurring oscillations of power connect it all together. A humming drone crackling at every peak picks you up and carries you through rumbling waves until the final track of Side A which keeps that rumbling wall continuing in a linear way making the almost pure energy found on this tape bounce in sparse movements while speaking logically to your instincts, fending off the horrible urge to just let it turn into a "wall" track, valiantly staying away from the easy. Hats off to you Deprivation. Slow moving MB and Mauthausen Orchestra infected Power Electronics is a style that takes patience to pull off, to continue being unnerving but not irritating, and Deprivation illustrates the pay off of having such patience. Side B is a bit more aggressive attacking in short movements with low-end pulsations and uncomplicated underlying synth and tape manipulation, creating a nice counterbalance, to creep about in the damp depth of this cassette.

Deprivation does what material like this is suppose to do: sound good in that strange way that only Power Electronics can sound good. This is probably possible more-so now than ever because we live in a time when "Music" has almost no individual identity whatsoever. This is fine-tuning for the part of your brain that craves sound. Keep it coming.
http://purestench.blogspot.com/2012/02/deprivation-deprivation.html