MILITIA - Belgian industrial

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 10, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

A newly re-recorded version of New European Order has just been released as a double CD by Old Europa Cafe. Has anyone heard it? Is it worth getting? I'm curious about the album, but I don't know if I should get the original 3LP or the new 2CD.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: acsenger on May 17, 2017, 10:17:00 PM
A newly re-recorded version of New European Order has just been released as a double CD by Old Europa Cafe. Has anyone heard it? Is it worth getting? I'm curious about the album, but I don't know if I should get the original 3LP or the new 2CD.
Because of the way they play, I would imagine the material is different enough to make it more than worth it to own both.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bleak Existence

i think that new album will bring me back into Militia again original was so good

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 18, 2017, 01:06:33 AM
Because of the way they play, I would imagine the material is different enough to make it more than worth it to own both.

Yes, both are worthy to get!
This isn't re-make to the level I expected. I thought they will play it ALL again, but no. Actually, it is for big part the old album. Few things feels like there is original backing track, with new percussion. Some feel like it is the album songs as it was, but just added few percussion elements. And one track is entirely new. Few spoken samples are new.

Of course, I tend to lean to 3xLP being better, since this is something what made such a high impact back in 90's. But without hearing that, I could assume one can live with owning merely the double CD. And some, need both. There is enough of difference to make it interesting to hear what they changed. It's like listening to live album of band for example. Songs are the same, but little things done differently makes it interesting to listen and both, vinyl and cd versions have their good points.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Leatherface

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 18, 2017, 11:22:12 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 18, 2017, 01:06:33 AM

Yes, both are worthy to get!
This isn't re-make to the level I expected. I thought they will play it ALL again, but no. Actually, it is for big part the old album. Few things feels like there is original backing track, with new percussion. Some feel like it is the album songs as it was, but just added few percussion elements. And one track is entirely new. Few spoken samples are new.

Of course, I tend to lean to 3xLP being better, since this is something what made such a high impact back in 90's. But without hearing that, I could assume one can live with owning merely the double CD. And some, need both. There is enough of difference to make it interesting to hear what they changed. It's like listening to live album of band for example. Songs are the same, but little things done differently makes it interesting to listen and both, vinyl and cd versions have their good points.

The double cd is a remastered edition made...with MP3 files. ;)

impulse manslaughter

Never bought or heard the original so i got this 2CD version last week. Sounds authentic to me, not the bombastic remastered sound i feared when this was announced. In some tracks there's maybe a little too much percussion for my personal taste, otherwise just great industrial material as expected. Sometimes a simple slow pounding beat is more effective than a lot of fills.

FreakAnimalFinland

Militia "face of god" CD reissue just received and listened.
This 2015 album was odd release. Was available from band, but pretty much never seen anywhere. Even discogs prices were high, despite supposedly 666 copies made. I suspected that there was not 666 made. Now, getting the Old Europe Cafe repress, I make assumption that this is actually factory made digipak covers for bunch of the original discs? At least disc has subterra label matrix prints. Original CD edition in handmade packaging would have been probably big task to get done.

So never got this before. Only missing link in Militia discography. To get it now, is at the same time great, and not so great. What is great about it, is obviously: It is Militia. Nobody does the percussive industrial like this anymore. Not many did it this well in first place. Themed around religion, mostly critical & atheistic take on it. There are couple of classic tracks already heard in earliest output. New versions of Face of God and Necromancer. They are not as good as the originals, though. Opening of the CD seems to sample from Kingdom of God mCD and there are few sound clips here and there that to my ears appear clearly the same or taken from same source as early samples were.

This is the first negative aspect. While re-doing Face Of God with that iconic metal beat certainly still sounds inspiring, was it necessary? Basically indicating that best tracks are still the early works. Best ideas are recycling the old sound sources. Finally the new tracks are not bad, but they suffer from the usual tinny, thin and digital recording methods. Colossal soundscape of early works is so much greater compared to digital era, where many metal objects what I can only assume to be huge sized, sound as if playing with tin cans. Fact is that you can not make something sound big merely by adding reverb. Recording loud beating of metal objects is one of the most difficult tasks there is, to be able to make it also sound loud and big.

If this was done by anyone else, I'd probably be concluding that finally there is some good new percussive industrial. With Militia I need to say that they could do better. Despite all criticism, I do strongly recommend this. Despite all I said, it is probably best of the CD albums since original Black Flag hoisted double CD.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Face of God...

Just now hearing this for the first time.  Some really nice stuff here, but some of it is a mish-mash of ideas that I'm not sure work that well.  It's like an album with too many riffs or prog parts.  As FreakAnimalFinland said, the recording is thin and robs the material of energy and potential combustion.  But also as he said, how can you not get excited, and into, a Militia album?  I felt like they touched upon a Native American tribal rhythm a time or two, and if so, I wish they would've explored, and exploded, into those at greater depth and length.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.