Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boorman

British IPA in the 19th century did used to be strong and heavily hopped, like the American versions today. Big flavour/aroma hops went out of fashion in Britain at some point. Modern British 'bitters' or 'real ales' - cask or bottle-conditioned ales, typically are weak, malty and very conservatively hopped with British or Euro hops like fuggle, and hopped more for bitterness than aroma and fruity flavour. Because of the trendiness of the term 'IPA', many straight bitters like Greene King for example, have put "IPA" on the tin regardless of the fact that this style of beer isn't really an IPA.

Fullers do a reasonable British IPA at 5+ ABV and with mild hoppiness. But better look to some of the outstanding but expensive British craft breweries like The Kernel or Vocation, doing pale ales and IPAs that K Musselman would love. The Kernel in London was my introduction to hazy hoppy pale ale, which is now my favourite drink.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 22, 2017, 12:34:54 AM
So what British IPA's would you guys recommend? I seem to remember Fuller's IPA. The bottle label looks familiar.

[/quote

don't like ipa, so can't comment.
my drinks are stout, porter, mild.
boormans post likely more reasonable as recommendation.
currently in local 'hipster type bar drinking
de molen brewery imperial stout 'rasputin' at 10.4%
and siren&dugges brewery imperial smoked porter at10.1%

david lloyd jones

upped sticks from hipster to local pub as former getting too busy for comfort.
plum porter, as ever,on tap.

boorman

Quote from: KMusselman on December 24, 2017, 02:12:11 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 24, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
I did have a killer root beer last weekend. Made in Dublin, TX with pure cane sugar. Tasty as fuck!

Boundary Bay, the brewpub i frequent the most, brews their own root beer.  If we stop in for dinner before my wife goes to work, she get it.  Best damn root beer i ever had!

I've started brewing my own mildly alcoholic ginger beer, it's easy and fun. Also brewing max-hop pale ales with some friends, but that is less easy. Some good results though. Jealous of the quality and variety you have in the US.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: KMusselman on December 24, 2017, 02:12:11 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 24, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
I did have a killer root beer last weekend. Made in Dublin, TX with pure cane sugar. Tasty as fuck!

Boundary Bay, the brewpub i frequent the most, brews their own root beer.  If we stop in for dinner before my wife goes to work, she get it.  Best damn root beer i ever had!

I don't drink beer anymore, but I still fucking love root beer. I'm very partial to the classic and local Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer in my area as well. And all the new fancy pants varieties of birch beer.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

The pure sugar cane root beer is called TeXas or something like that (the place in Dublin use to make Dr. Pepper w/p.c.s.). The p.c.s. makes it a bit sweeter than most root beers (I.B.C., Frosty, etc.). I don't remember what brand it was but I think I've had a root beer that was rather medicinal tasting.

There's a local candy store here that has a room filled with oddball soft drinks. About 4 shelves were filled with root beer so there's a lot to check out.

boorman

Quote from: KMusselman on December 28, 2017, 01:41:35 AM
Here is a complex and intriguing beer I just had on draft

Octopus Ink Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale)

hoppy flavor of an IPA with the dark malt character of a rich stout.

Hop varieties:  Apollo, Centennial, Amarillo and Citra. Dry hopped twice with Citra, Amarillo and Simcoe
Malt varieties:  Pale, Crystal, Munich, Chocolate Malt, Light & Dark Malted Wheat, Debittered Black Malt, Organic Cane Sugar

a good seasonal winter beer!

ABV: 8.3%
IBU: 80
OG: 1.080
°L: 25

Sounds lush

Deadpriest

I had a bottle of champagne for Christmas (But because I'm a 15 year old boy I downed in two mouthfuls so can't really appraise) a bottle of Bud Light which was nice enough and a very tasty bottle of cider (couldn't tell you the brand) I also had isolation (fun fact more people kill themselves around spring time than they do around Christmas).
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

david lloyd jones

mixing extra strength imperial porter with 'urquel' pilsner(claims original pilsner from czech republic), not drunk in 25 years plus.
smooth swallow  and good drunk.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Curing a hangover with a Stallhagen Red Ale and a few sips of Gammel Dansk bitter. The flavors don't marry as well as I had hoped, but the headache is finally receding. Been a few years since I celebrated New Year's Eve this seriously.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

david lloyd jones

Quote from: KMusselman on January 03, 2018, 06:11:34 AM
drinking now.  my favorite whiskey finished in craft IPA-seasoned barrels!

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en/ourwhiskeys/jameson-caskmates-ipa

a change from ale matured in a whisky or rum barrel!

david lloyd jones

my local ran out of my favourite brew, reduced to drinking ersatz Guinness.
does the job, but hardly what i want

Bloated Slutbag

Inspiring lyrics from Mr david lloyd jones:

my local ran out of my favourite brew
duh-nanana-nah

reduced to drinking ersatz Guinness.
duh-nanana-nah

does the job,
duh-nanana-nah

BUT HARDLY WHAT I WANT
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 28, 2018, 05:05:33 PM
Inspiring lyrics from Mr david lloyd jones:

my local ran out of my favourite brew
duh-nanana-nah

reduced to drinking ersatz Guinness.
duh-nanana-nah

does the job,
duh-nanana-nah

BUT HARDLY WHAT I WANT

ha! feel free to record, as long as i get writing credit and free copy!

Bloated Slutbag

There is exactly one half-decent bottle shop in my town. 6 taps but wide refrigerated selection. Problem is, no one digs the good suff. Shit sits there. By the time you grab a proper bottle it's half off. Decided I don't have much use for bottle shops aside from entertaining visitors.

Quote from: david lloyd jones link=topic=1620.msg70226#.
date=1517231572

ha! feel free to record, as long as i get writing credit and free copy!

Erratz Guiness Blues, coming to a jukebox near you.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag