Special Interest
December 10, 2018, 01:48:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 130603 times)
Duncan
Heavy user

« Reply #390 on: November 19, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »

One of the only things that I miss about living in North America is the abundance \ relative normality of having craft \ local brews on tap. I'm not sure if it's because of the strict brewing purity laws in Germany, but even in Berlin it's really behind on having any sort of selection here. End up drinking shit pilsner after shit pilsner everywhere you go, and always the same few bigger brewers as well.

Interesting point because this has always been my favourite bit of going to Germany! I suppose it would get dull after a while but the culture of cheap, decently made local beer - even if it’s just pilsner - being everywhere certainly licks what we have here in the uk. 6 tins of corporate lager for a fiver or impossibly wanky craft beer and all of it really over priced. I still drink and enjoy all of it, of course and am unfairly skimming past what goes on in decent pubs. My favourite things in Germany are booze shops with chairs outside. Talk about a progressive culture.
Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #391 on: November 20, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »

we are working on collecting all of the 19 corks.  each one lists a different crime

just found a 19 in my last bottle. i opened it 5 days after their contest ended to win a trip to Alcatraz :c
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #392 on: November 21, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »

Am I to understand my nation was founded by a bunch of Egyptian impersonators?

only the classy ones!
Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #393 on: November 22, 2017, 12:29:26 AM »

I had a Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve last night. A little bit stronger & has a much more bitter finish than I remember regular Budweiser having (it's been years).

i have been trying to find these in town (nashville) and have had NO LUCK! very annoying.
totalblack
user

« Reply #394 on: November 22, 2017, 01:29:22 AM »

Lived in Germany (Heidelberg) for three years in the late 90's.  Drank so much Hefeweizen (bread in a glass) that I doubt I will ever drink this style again.  Specifically, Schöfferhofer.  Refuse to drink a Pilsner.  Might as well drink piss.  If you get a chance to visit Heidelberg, check out Vetter's.  At the time, they had the world's strongest beer, 33.

http://www.brauhaus-vetter.de/en

Yeah basically this. I drink the pilsner anyway though because isn't many other easy options. I was strongly advised to visit Heidelberg last time I was in Mannheim, but well, didn't seem like was worth going around the other activities of the weekend.

I had a Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve last night. A little bit stronger & has a much more bitter finish than I remember regular Budweiser having (it's been years).

i have been trying to find these in town (nashville) and have had NO LUCK! very annoying.

This sounds interesting. Anyone have any thoughts on the difference between American Bud and the original czech Budweiser? I think I prefer the Czech version but I haven't gotten around to drinking any of that type of American beer in the last few years

Drinking a Berliner Kindl shit pilsner from the kebab stand on my corner right now.

Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #395 on: November 22, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »

Yeah and that's post Belgian ownership.
Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #396 on: November 22, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »

i really enjoy this one- st stefanus

Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #397 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »

I had a Budweiser 1933 Repeal Reserve last night.

i'm not sure Budweiser is even a beer...  hell, AB InBev admitted that no one drinks it for its taste!

I'll take Bud over PBR anyday. Favorite swill is probably Hamm's.
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #398 on: November 26, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »

same beautiful beer, different day.
seeing bitewerks on this thread is a novelty.
any bud type beer is greeted by euro drinker as crap, special reserve or not.
totalblack
user

« Reply #399 on: November 26, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »

In Paris, France I remember drinking a can of something that had Tequila in it. The imagery on the can was like a gun-totin' Mexican bandit. It was good!

Was it called Desperado? Tequila flavored beer made in France. They have it here as well. Pretty good

david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #400 on: November 29, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »

today, post payday, drinking expensive, strong imperial stout.
tastes of marshmallow and goes down a treat.
from tiny rebel brewery, 9% proof, so not as strong as some imperials, but yummy for an evening.as flavour sweet but shallow.
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #401 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »

guiness have seemingly looked to their 'back catalogue' and come up with several bottled stouts/porters. all drinkable and better than the usual guiness extra cild sold via pumps.
imperial stout is indeed generally stronger than normal stuff. believe the name comes from it being drunk at/by imperial russian court pre revolution-initial contact with this brew was as a russian imperial stout and was 11% plus in alcohol.
totalblack
user

« Reply #402 on: December 07, 2017, 12:58:56 AM »

Has anyone had beer brewed with bourbon? Saw a 4-pack but cannot remember the name of it. Kinda pricey but I'm curious.

Yeah I've had a few, normally I really like them. The slight flavour of wood and whiskey on top is great. Depending on how pricey it might be worth it.

Yrjö-Koskinen
user

Hate globally, act peripherally

« Reply #403 on: December 09, 2017, 12:23:35 AM »

The last beer this evening is a Weltenburger Kloster - Winter Traum. Surprisingly light (though substantial), it went very well with my evening Sandwich and an already quite advanced buzz.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:25:56 AM by Stoa » Logged

moozz
moderate user

« Reply #404 on: December 10, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

If you get something like the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout make sure you don't drink it fridge-cold. The flavors burst into life and the heavy ABV is less prominent when you let it warm a bit first. Unfortunately almost impossible to get in Europe.

Picked up a 6-pack of Dale's Pale Ale brewed by Oskar Blues Brewery out of Austin. 6.5 ABV. It's okay, has a bit of a sweet taste. Not sure I'd buy it again.

Has anyone had beer brewed with bourbon? Saw a 4-pack but cannot remember the name of it. Kinda pricey but I'm curious.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31
  Print  

Jump to: