Special Interest
June 24, 2018, 04:18:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 113222 times)
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #405 on: November 29, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »

today, post payday, drinking expensive, strong imperial stout.
tastes of marshmallow and goes down a treat.
from tiny rebel brewery, 9% proof, so not as strong as some imperials, but yummy for an evening.as flavour sweet but shallow.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #406 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:43 AM »

In Paris, France I remember drinking a can of something that had Tequila in it. The imagery on the can was like a gun-totin' Mexican bandit. It was good!

Was it called Desperado? Tequila flavored beer made in France. They have it here as well. Pretty good

Yeah, that was it. Maybe. It looks like Heineken made it for the U.S. but is or has stopped:

http://thisdrinkinglife.com/desperados-worlds-first-tequila-flavoured-beer/

I use to like Guinness Extra Stout but sometimes it just didn't sit well. I like(d) Young's Oatmeal Stout a little more. I'm guessing an 'imperial stout' is higher in alcohol?

Yeah, Budweiser sucks. I only drink it if it's free or the absolutely only thing available at the time.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:22:31 AM by bitewerksMTB » Logged

david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #407 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »

guiness have seemingly looked to their 'back catalogue' and come up with several bottled stouts/porters. all drinkable and better than the usual guiness extra cild sold via pumps.
imperial stout is indeed generally stronger than normal stuff. believe the name comes from it being drunk at/by imperial russian court pre revolution-initial contact with this brew was as a russian imperial stout and was 11% plus in alcohol.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #408 on: December 06, 2017, 02:35:44 AM »

Picked up a 6-pack of Dale's Pale Ale brewed by Oskar Blues Brewery out of Austin. 6.5 ABV. It's okay, has a bit of a sweet taste. Not sure I'd buy it again.

Has anyone had beer brewed with bourbon? Saw a 4-pack but cannot remember the name of it. Kinda pricey but I'm curious.

totalblack
user

« Reply #409 on: December 07, 2017, 12:58:56 AM »

Has anyone had beer brewed with bourbon? Saw a 4-pack but cannot remember the name of it. Kinda pricey but I'm curious.

Yeah I've had a few, normally I really like them. The slight flavour of wood and whiskey on top is great. Depending on how pricey it might be worth it.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #410 on: December 07, 2017, 02:47:15 AM »

Yeah I've had a few, normally I really like them. The slight flavour of wood and whiskey on top is great. Depending on how pricey it might be worth it.

That description is what I was thinking it may be like.

I've got another liquor store a bit further away I need to check out. I'm thinking they have a walk-in cooler loaded with single beers. The place nearest me, does not.

Yrjö-Koskinen
user

Hate globally, act peripherally

« Reply #411 on: December 09, 2017, 12:23:35 AM »

The last beer this evening is a Weltenburger Kloster - Winter Traum. Surprisingly light (though substantial), it went very well with my evening Sandwich and an already quite advanced buzz.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:25:56 AM by Stoa » Logged

Stoa / Obozdur - Split
Stoa / Obozdur - Water Spirits (Collaboration)

Synth är tuffare än hårdrock. Industri är tuffare ändå.

Ehkäpä vapaus.
moozz
moderate user

« Reply #412 on: December 10, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

If you get something like the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout make sure you don't drink it fridge-cold. The flavors burst into life and the heavy ABV is less prominent when you let it warm a bit first. Unfortunately almost impossible to get in Europe.

Picked up a 6-pack of Dale's Pale Ale brewed by Oskar Blues Brewery out of Austin. 6.5 ABV. It's okay, has a bit of a sweet taste. Not sure I'd buy it again.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #413 on: December 21, 2017, 03:18:21 AM »

19oz can of 60 Minute IPA by Dogfish Head Brewery

Nice buzz from throwing it back quickly. Has a smoother taste than the Dale's Pale Ale but still not one I would drink again. Would probably go well with a shot of whiskey...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:58:57 PM by bitewerksMTB » Logged

david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #414 on: December 21, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »

19oz can of 60 Minute IPA by Dogfish Head Brewery
Would probably go well with a shot of whiskey...

glad to see you made it to IPA land!  you'll eventually find the right one for you.  as for whiskey, drink Jameson every evening during movie/shows.

so far tonight:  three Inside Passage Ales, an edible, now on a Tropic Haze and will finish on a double Jameson.

from anglo land, the ipa thing means nothing relating to origins.
my own dislike of ioa noted here.
ipa was beer sent to india (hence india pale ale) that fermented in barrel giving a stronger drink.
recent brews nothing to do with this overall.
just adding different flavours, etc

opinion of traditionalist.
still drinking what local pub gives, and as like, hence local pub.

off topic completely, but as on pub, listened to and enjoyed v. early bauhaus song ' bela lugosi's dead'. wouldn't buy again though.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #415 on: December 22, 2017, 12:34:54 AM »

So what British IPA's would you guys recommend? I seem to remember Fuller's IPA. The bottle label looks familiar.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:00:05 AM by bitewerksMTB » Logged

boorman

« Reply #416 on: December 22, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »

British IPA in the 19th century did used to be strong and heavily hopped, like the American versions today. Big flavour/aroma hops went out of fashion in Britain at some point. Modern British 'bitters' or 'real ales' - cask or bottle-conditioned ales, typically are weak, malty and very conservatively hopped with British or Euro hops like fuggle, and hopped more for bitterness than aroma and fruity flavour. Because of the trendiness of the term 'IPA', many straight bitters like Greene King for example, have put "IPA" on the tin regardless of the fact that this style of beer isn't really an IPA.

Fullers do a reasonable British IPA at 5+ ABV and with mild hoppiness. But better look to some of the outstanding but expensive British craft breweries like The Kernel or Vocation, doing pale ales and IPAs that K Musselman would love. The Kernel in London was my introduction to hazy hoppy pale ale, which is now my favourite drink.
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #417 on: December 23, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »

So what British IPA's would you guys recommend? I seem to remember Fuller's IPA. The bottle label looks familiar.

[/quote

don't like ipa, so can't comment.
my drinks are stout, porter, mild.
boormans post likely more reasonable as recommendation.
currently in local 'hipster type bar drinking
de molen brewery imperial stout 'rasputin' at 10.4%
and siren&dugges brewery imperial smoked porter at10.1%
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #418 on: December 23, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »

upped sticks from hipster to local pub as former getting too busy for comfort.
plum porter, as ever,on tap.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #419 on: December 23, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »

I've already lost interest in all of these fruity hipster beers. I'll just stick to what I already know. Maybe start drinking Olde English 800 again.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33
  Print  

Jump to: