Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHC

Beer:
Victory Golden Monkey
Celebrator Doppelbock (includes a fun little plastic goat tied to the neck)
Whatever local brewers Aviator and Big Boss have going on at any given time.

Wine:
Not particular really...whatever Burgundy or Cabernet Sauvignon or Sauvignon Blanc or Sake or Pinot Noir I see that's not on the bottom shelf.

Liquor:
Jim Beam Bourbon- with Coke and ice or Mint juleps.
Beefeater gin-dry and dirty martinis with bleu cheese stuffed olives.
Decent illegally- or home-produced moonshine or apple brandy when available.
"Poetry don't work on whores."

Levas

Most often it's beer for me. 4.5-6% is the perfect range of strength. it's mostly unfiltered beer from little breweries in Lithuania. Somehow lately it has become more and more popular in here. It's a good alternative for all those mass-production beers in here that are the worst thing one could imagine. also czech, german or belgish beer.
when i was visiting uk this summer i couldn't get enough of those cheapest ciders that exist in there. Strongbow and the rest. the one of sainsburry's brand is awesome too. 1,5pound for 2 liters i think.
sometimes it's wine, mostly red and dry and the cheaper it is, the better it tastes. and vodka + whiskey.
i hate sweet things.. some creamish liquors, strawberry ciders, etc. awful.
and i don't like to taste alcohol usually. either i don't drink at all or i drink much and if i do that for a couple of days in a row, i'm afraid to go outside and afraid of people and so on and spend my day staring at the yellow wall of my room. that's rather trve i think.
Autarkeia had a competition last year. continuosly reporting how much have you drunk and so on. i was the winner but never got my prize :(
since today is a football day i think there'll be more than a couple of beers involved.
cheers

Jaakko V.

How about this?

..Offered to me while waiting for Bruzgynai, Vidinė Ramybė, Niekis, etc. in this ice cold factory in Lithuania last year.

Such a complex taste - and effect!

kettu

I hardly drink but I like kossuvissy, a finnish trad spirit and fizzy water

at home a couple bottles of whatever beer every once in a while.

some friends of mine like these fancy whiskeys and scotches etc. they all taste fine but I couldnt see myself buying a bottle.

christmass time Ill take whatever red wine is given. I dont like white.

tisbor

Everything.

Favorites:  Scotch, Maker's Mark bourbon, gin & tonic, martini (with gin), any italian red wine, cider, ice-cold beer.

MT

I like anything that gets me drunk.

Ashmonger

Quote from: P-K on September 09, 2011, 07:52:15 PM
Quote from: Ashmonger on September 09, 2011, 04:51:18 PMBelgian Beer (of course), not a big fan of most of the normal beer, such as Maes,

people have been stoned to death for less  ;-)
People should rather be stoned to death for drinking Maes, haha. Or Cara Pils, that's really disgusting, only good if you had some other beers before and then it's fine to behave like a pig and not feel guilty to spill some, haha. (Once got a crate of Cara Pils (in bottles!!!) together with two friends for a 'gig' we did, so well, quite some of it ended on the floor...)

Quote from: P-K on September 09, 2011, 07:52:15 PM
zubrowka (the bisongrass vodka)
Couldn't remember the name, that's not bad either. But the one I got last year wasn't bad either.
There's also a Polish honey liquor, called Krupnik, pretty good as well, but more occasionally. Think I also had some wodka with honey and spicy pepper in it, seems a strange combination but it was good.

QuoteDuvel (Duval?) from Belgium is good
Duvel, it's a dialect word for Duivel = Devil. Good beer, but not the best strong Belgian Beer, I think. Though I drink it once in a while, can 't go wrong with it.

As for Kriek etc, it has been a while since I've had it, but yes, it's good from time to time. Geuze is nice as well.
As for fruit beers, Apple beer is great as well. Most others, such as beer with citron/lemon taste wasn't really good. As for banana-beer, well, I once smelled it and decided it's shit, haha...

Apple cider is great as well, good taste, refreshing. Pretty good for getting shit-faced as well, goes down easy.
Guinness is something I like as well, but more occasionally and mostly only for one pint at a time, it's not really strong in alcohol content but a bit heavy on the stomach.

Something I haven't drank much, but quite liked is Cognac. Bit like whiskey but different. I guess that people who like Cognac will often also like Whiskey and the other way around.

As for beer from other countries: it seems most countries do have some nice beers. Dutch beer: Heineken doesn't taste bad (as far as I remember), but it's just a bit tasteless. Grolsch is better and they also have some stronger beers which are nice.
Once also had about 5 or 6 different brands of beer in Tanzania, most of them weren't bad at all, was surprised by that.
Scotland also has some nice beers, if I'm not mistaken Kelpie isn't bad, but it's been years since I had those. Czech Republic also has some good beers, Pilsner Urquell isn't bad if I remember correctly. Finally, Baltika from Russia, has about 10 varieties (which are numbered), some of them are good, others a bit less, but overall not bad.

Oh, one other cocktail I like is Bloody Mary, but I like tomato juice without anything as well, so it seems quite normal to like that cocktail also then.

Hah, overlooking the list it seems like there isn't much alcohol I don't like, so I better stop, before it totally makes me look like an alcoholic.

drunk

I'll drink just about anything 'cuz I'm a piece of shit drunk.
Into The Grave is probably the best death metal record ever.

Levas

Quote from: Jaakko V. on September 10, 2011, 04:21:23 PM
How about this?

Jaakko, this one is spirited wine or however it should be called. it usually goes at about 16-21% and usually bums are drinking it for the price range of such wine is up to 2 euros a bottle. i liked to drink it some 15 years ago and mix it with beer. it's too sweet for my taste usually. there's a cocktail of that kind. you drink half a bottle of this strong "wine", then pour in some beer and shake it. after drinking a bottle of such shit you can barely walk so it's quite funny and many adventures awaits you!

and it seems i liked the word "usually" very much in this post

Nyodene D

Beers:

Pabst or Busch for a shitshow drunk night, nicer stuff for relaxing and hanging out.  Bell's Oberon, Bell's Two-Hearted, Great Lakes (usually Dortmunder), Leinenkugel, Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, local pub's microbrews...

Liquor:

Mostly bottom shelf, I'm pretty broke in terms of money to spend on booze.  Old Crow Whiskey, Gordon's Distillery Gin and Lady Bligh rum is my holy trinity.  Don't really like vodka or tequila much. Zwack, Absinthe and other miserable anise / herb liquers are fun.

Wine:

Terrible taste in wine.  best I drink is Ravenwood brand red wine (with this weird Triskelion of crows on the label) but usually I'm drinking Banana Red MD 20/20 (bum wine) malt liquor if I'm looking for something "wine"ish

Mattias G

I am a beer lover too. One of my greatest moment was when i visited Magnolia microbrewery in Haight-Ahbury, San Fransisco. After some magic vinyl shopping at Amoeba we settle down and had a whole evening of exploring good beer and food. Magic Hat brewing company is a big favorite i always try to drink when i visiting USA. Also Blue Moon is a favorite, on tap. Don´t use to like wheat beer but that one is really good if i wan´t something fresh. Here is some good stuff i have drinked lately.

ConcreteMascara

That Flying Dog Imperial Porter is good but their Tire Bite Golden Ale and the Raging Bitch IPA, soo soo good. Flying Dog and Magic Hat are without question some of the top breweries in the US. Both have really good Autumn and Winter styles too.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Andrew McIntosh

Does anyone else notice the differences in highs one gets from different alcohols? I tend to get an immediate, uplifting high from beers, a more mellow but no less positive high from wine and funnily, liquors like scotch tend not to effect me too greatly, or at least are a lot more mellow. I'm a great fan of Bailey's, for example, but find that even half a bottle doesn't have a significant intoxicating effect on me.

Of course, it will have a lot to do with how one drinks. Beers are usually a gulping drink - the first swig on a hot afternoon/evening is always the best. Wines and others, of course, are for sipping. Wine is usually best with food of some kind while liquors are more an after dinner kind of drink.
Shikata ga nai.

Ashmonger

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 12, 2011, 04:44:25 AM
Does anyone else notice the differences in highs one gets from different alcohols? I tend to get an immediate, uplifting high from beers, a more mellow but no less positive high from wine and funnily, liquors like scotch tend not to effect me too greatly, or at least are a lot more mellow. I'm a great fan of Bailey's, for example, but find that even half a bottle doesn't have a significant intoxicating effect on me.
Yes, it indeed feels different, though can't really remember the exact ways in which they influence me differently.
Apart from that, the situation is also very different. When being home, watching a movie and drinking some beer (sometimes even one strong beer is enough) can get me very drowsy and tired, while sometimes being in the pub and drinking a lot more makes me feel awake and active.
There's also a difference in the hangovers you can get from different kinds of alcohol, but that's due to the chemical balance of different kinds of alcohol.

Levas

Yes, definitely. if you drink beer especially during daytime you become tired and sleepy. after some wine i somehow become very thoughtful and start to act like an intelligent person until some limit is reached. strong drinks are energizing. What i don't like about drinking too much of strong drinks is that you don't feel that you are drunk and at some moment you just fall asleep and then wake up and you remember only the moment you wake up without anything before. i also noticed that whiskey and cognac are two drinks that make people angry and violent. too much whiskey or cognac results in "do you respect me you cocksucker" and "i'm gonna kick the shit out of you"