Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

So there's a topic about food, but not about alcohol. I think it should be here too

What's up, Finland? 4.7 is strong beer?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/08/finland-alcohol-idUSL5E7K648H20110908

ConcreteMascara

I'm a whiskey man myself. Scotch, bourbon, Irish whiskey... I like it all. Quite fond of Maker's Mark Kentucky bourbon. It's good on ice, it's good straight up and it's delicious in Manhattan. Shit it's even good to spice up your coffee. I'd take it over Johnny Walker or Jack Daniels any day.

As for beer, Arrogant Bastard by Stone Brewing Company is one of the best micro-brews from the States. Aggressively hoppy flavor and strong alcohol content. Good shit.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Ashmonger

Quote from: Levas on September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM
So there's a topic about food, but not about alcohol. I think it should be here too

What's up, Finland? 4.7 is strong beer?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/08/finland-alcohol-idUSL5E7K648H20110908
Haha, if they would come up with something like that in Belgium, we'd have a big problem! Belgium is one of the few countries where it is allowed to drink alcohol in public and where vending machines often have beer as well.

I like quite some different alcohols. Belgian Beer (of course), not a big fan of most of the normal beer, such as Maes, Stella..., though Jupiler is quite alright. I'm very fond of Palm, which has about the same alcohol percentage as aforementioned beers, but is a bit darker, amber.  From the strong beers I mostly like the dark ones, but do like the blondes as well.

Apart from that I do occasionaly drink wine (more fond of red, than white), red port, quite fond of whiskey as well and sometimes wodka, have wodka from Russia at home, called Putinka, which is pretty good, but last year I had some Polish wodka, at the NWN fest, and that was really good. Can't remember the name, but it wasn't the most famous one, not this Bison wodka.
Don't drink much cocktails, but mojito is one that I really like.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 09, 2011, 04:44:30 PM
I'm a whiskey man myself. Scotch, bourbon, Irish whiskey... I like it all. Quite fond of Maker's Mark Kentucky bourbon. It's good on ice, it's good straight up and it's delicious in Manhattan. Shit it's even good to spice up your coffee. I'd take it over Johnny Walker or Jack Daniels any day.

As for beer, Arrogant Bastard by Stone Brewing Company is one of the best micro-brews from the States. Aggressively hoppy flavor and strong alcohol content. Good shit.

I back these thoughts 100%, especially on the Makers Mark.

These days though I've been drinking a lot more red wine.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Nil By Mouth

I love beer, expecially Ale, Pale ale etc.

Some of my last drinking

Every good suggestions about belgian, UK and USA beer is welcomed!

Concrete what do you think of Irish Mist?

P-K

Quote from: Ashmonger on September 09, 2011, 04:51:18 PMBelgian Beer (of course), not a big fan of most of the normal beer, such as Maes,

people have been stoned to death for less  ;-)

not a bear drinker (nor wine), but i enjoy a cold one with dinner. Or it should be a good kriek (cherry-beer, aka fag-beer, women's beer...)
.....on a night out/concert i prefer cider....but most don't serve that.

strong stuff ranges from tiki rum, Stroh (even the 80 stuff, small shot from the freezer), zubrowka (the bisongrass vodka), chartreuse, ......usually pure, although i can't get enough 'Coup Kollonel' (lime-sorbet with vodka)   :-D

ConcreteMascara

Unibroue has some pretty solid brews with great names and art. La Fin du Monde, Maudite, Terrible and some others I'm forgetting. They are from Quebec if I remember correctly.

Irish Mist is definitely good but I'm an even bigger fan of Drambuie. So, so tasty. The kind thing you can drink right out of the bottle despite it's high %. Mixing whiskey with spices or honey is normally a guaranteed win.

Less good but still tasty is Xante which kinda tastes like Drambuie.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

XXX

Busch or Budweiser for beer
Liquor I prefer gin & tonic

who has the money for anything else?

Andrew McIntosh

One can't beat a good Merlot.
Shikata ga nai.

RG

Beer: microbrews, no mass-produced shit. Used to really like dark beers, but now I prefer something like a hefeweizen or strong IPA

Whiskey: Scotch and Irish whiskey. Mostly Jameson and Glenlivet, but occasionally I'll spring for something nicer.

implicitruin

QuoteThe suggested ban would be modelled on a similar move by neighbouring Sweden in 1977, which helped curb alcohol-related deaths.
Finland's current limit for alcohol content at grocery stores is 4.7 percent.

I guess that's when Swedish authorities reduced the limit to 3.5% for grocery stores?
Anyway, I would recommend the ale Innis & Gunn for the avid beer drinkers, both the regular oak aged model (6.6%) and the rum cask one (7.4%). Suitable for regular drinking and with food.

XXX

the alcohol limit on beer in Tennessee is 5.9% or less. anything over is to be sold in a separate store as liquor. Most bars around here are beer only. Sad but true.

seems like no one here drinks (wastes) their money at bars.

Litharge

Vodka is my usual drink: a few ice cubes, and just enough clear soda like Sprite or 7-Up to take the chemical tasting edge off.  I'll occasionally try something new and different to me for the sake of novelty, but by this point I've been thru most of the major types of alcohol (with the exception of most the many types of liqueurs out there), and settled on vodka for its effectiveness and agreeable non-taste.  Skyy brand is what I purchase most often; it's domestic to the U.S., so it's usually priced at $25 or less for the 1.75L sized bottle, and hangover symptoms are usually minimal or absent.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Arak is quite excellent.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

halthan

Kilju (Finnish homebrew), pretty strong, works well and usually causes you a really good diarrhoea next morning