Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icepick method

I tried the Guinness foreign extra along with a bunch of other stuff recently, the aftertaste is waay too strong and lingering. Didn't like it at all. New favorites out of the bunch were Rochefort 10 and Guldendraak.  
Industrial-noise zine archive http://shock-corridor.blogspot.com

ConcreteMascara

Stone just released their 15 year anniversary Black IPA, 11,5%.  IT'S SUBLIME
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Nyodene D

Jim from Deterge has an amazing alcohol story.

bitewerksMTB

Young's Oatmeal Stout is pretty good. I like it more than GuinessES. Saw a commerical for Guiness Black Ale, I think? Has anyone tried that? The GES float-thing sounds AWFUL. Can't imagine anyone thinking their Stout needs some chocolate syrup!

XXX

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 19, 2011, 02:17:50 AM
Young's Oatmeal Stout is pretty good. I like it more than GuinessES. Saw a commerical for Guiness Black Ale, I think? Has anyone tried that? The GES float-thing sounds AWFUL. Can't imagine anyone thinking their Stout needs some chocolate syrup!

I too am very curious about this "black" lager will have to pick up a 6er and report back

edit: seems its only available in certain markets?

RG

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 18, 2011, 10:05:06 PM
Stone just released their 15 year anniversary Black IPA, 11,5%.  IT'S SUBLIME

This sounds great.

I got together with a friend and started brewing. Got a batch of IPA fermenting now, making a batch of dry stout in the next few days.

XXX

currently enjoying New Belgium's Snow Day. midnight wheat dark ale.

enmity

I love anything from Dogfish Head, and Yazoo..

RG

Quote from: enmity on November 25, 2011, 04:26:41 PM
I love anything from Dogfish Head...

I've heard great things about their brews and ever since I saw the Beer Wars documentary and the owner was wearing a Melvins tshirt, I immediately knew the guy probably made some quality shit. Unfortunately we don't get their beer up where I live (Upper Midwest).

Beer Wars is a good doc, btw. Really shows how shitty the "BIG 3" beer corporations are/were (since I don't think it's the Big 3 anymore)

Another beer I badly want to try is Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing in California. A friend of mine whose opinion I trust said it's the best beer he's ever tasted. Can anyone on the west coast corroborate?

RyanWreck

My favorite beer ever is Boddingtons. It is creamy (called the cream of "Manchester") and thick, the taste is kind of bitter meets a standard Ale. I would say a bit like Fosters but thick like Guiness:

ironfistofthesun

HANGOVERS

seems only fair to mention them as the two go hand in hand...

a few seismic hangovers that will stay with me for many years..

1) i broke my neck 15 years ago..when released from my hospital stay i decided to drink a bottle of tequila...had no lemon juice so i used jiff lemon (synthetic lemon juice in the uk)...can no longer smell the stuff without squirming ! A 3 day hangover with a broken neck!

2) had some friends over for dinner not so long back...2 grams of sniff 6 bottles of red wine 1 bottle of rum/ 1 bottle of vodka...had black sludge pouring from every hole for a few days....

3) Helped a good old friend out of a tricky spot and to repay he took me on the piss to berlin for a weekend...brandy + champagne ..ill trying to enjoy a great city while dying !

4) Some beers are a no-no with me! Stella artois in the uk is nicknamed "wife beater"...with good reason too!!!

ARKHE

Had some nice season-specific brews yesterday.

Jólabjór, Icelandic & folkloric, dark smokey lager. 6.5%. "Rökbock" in Swedish, don't know the translation for "bock" if that's a brewing term. Nice and sweet, really enjoy the smoke taste.

Two Swedish ones afterwards: Sigtuna Midvinterblot, 10.5%. Stout as hell. Guess the best reference would be Guinness but twice as strong alcohol-wise, and much more powerful in taste. The red on the bear's ram is blood of christians sacrificed to Odinn. Not for the weaklings.

Oppigårds winter ale. 5.3%. Obviously a much kinder, gentle beer than the Sigtuna. Enjoyable but not very memorable (after three types of GLÖGG and the aforementioned bottles, I didn't really care about any taste).

XXX

Quote from: ironfistofthesun on December 17, 2011, 01:54:04 PM
Stella artois in the uk is nicknamed "wife beater"...with good reason too!!!

a little off topic, but i work at a bar and someone years ago wrote on a stell sign in the bathroom

"THE GRAND CHAMPION OF FAGGOT BEERS"

still makes me chuckle.

Finally got my hands on the new Guiness Black Lager. Name says it all. Great stuff.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: ironfistofthesun on December 17, 2011, 01:54:04 PM
HANGOVERS

seems only fair to mention them as the two go hand in hand...

I have some long and very wild stories about drinking and the after effects but I'm not sure they are appropriate for the board...

But I will say one of the most confusing and hung over wake ups I've ever had was the first night into morning I spent in Kyoto for study abroad a few years ago. I drank bottle of Johnny Walker as soon as I got from the plane to my dorm and then staggered around the outskirts of Kyoto in a drunken haze. I woke up the next morning lying in the middle of a temple parking lot with like 4 lighters in my pockets and two packs of cigarettes, surrounded by empty japanese snack trash. I had to walk for 30 minutes before I found a place to buy water. I have never desired water so much in my life as I did that morning.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

RyanWreck

I've had quite a few hang overs where I wake up with a girl that isn't exactly what I thought she was the night before. Quite a few valium/xanax/any benzo hangovers are usually pretty bad because no matter how hard you try you will not remember anything and you just keep hearing new, embarrassing stories from friends weeks after.

One of the craziest mornings I ever had was waking up to a bunch of cops and an ambulance surrounding me as I lay on the front lawn of some house I have never been to before, feeling like complete shit. Apparently it was an old ladies house and I pissed myself sometime in the night and got hypothermia from it (hypothermia from urinating myself, grindcore track title?) and my lips were purple and I looked dead so she called 911 and I had to stay in the hospital all day. The IV's were nice for the hang over, though.