Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moozz

Rochefort 10, Cantillon Gueuze, 3 Fonteinen Kriek, Plevna Siberia Imperial Stout, sahti, Guinness, Gonzo Imperial Porter, Knappstein Reserve Lager, Holgate Temptress Chocolate Porter, Malheur Dark Brut...

Yes, beer is my drink. Usually the darker the better.

Andrew McIntosh

This little volume -

- is a personal favourite. I like to have it by the bed for light reading before retiring. I'm not a beer connoisseur by any measure and this book has really enlightened me to the possibilities. If I could pull money out of my arse I'd go on a world wide pub crawl.
Shikata ga nai.

ARKHE

Mattias G - wonderful photos. Makes me thirsty. I drink just about any beer except the most cheap, piss-water lagers. Corona etc. Too bland. Don't like wheat beer either. Been moving towards ever darker kinds, appreciating rich and heavy tastes more and more (rather than just binge-drinking Carlsberg). I'm glad the microbrewery thing is growing in Sweden - Malmö Brew House opened not more than two years ago, they have some nice IPA's and stuff. They added coffee to their already powerful cocoa porter, now it just tasted like shit, but without the coffee it was quite nice.

Best reaction to alcohol from beer. Wine, champagne & similar = completely fucked up. Even more the day after... no, beer is the way to go for me. Or some port wine.

XXX

anyone tried the beers made by New Belgium Brewing Co? Fat Tire and 1554 are my personal favorites. Smooth buttery biscuit flavor from the fat tire and a rich deep brew in 1554. Also, local brewer Yazoo makes a wonderful german lager called Gerst which you can only get at 3 bars in town.

ConcreteMascara

I've had the Absinthe they sell in the States that's made with Southern Wormwood instead of Wormwood (or vice-versa if I'm mixing it up). The taste is that of black licorice which I think is one of those love it or hate it tastes. I love it so I think it's a pretty tasty drink and damn strong. From what I've heard the hallucinogenic effects of absinthe are the result of the buildup of the neurotoxins in the drink so it takes regular use to really get fucked up on it. That's my understanding but I may be incorrect. Regardless, the legal brands I've had here have all been nice drinks to sip on.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Nil By Mouth

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 12, 2011, 10:12:45 PM
I do not think I've tried Fat Tire but I approve of it because it's a reference to mountain biking. Beer is a big thing with mountain bikers for some reason.

Nice suggestion! I will try to check my local beer store. Thanks!

JHC

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 12, 2011, 11:13:03 PM
My friend's Absinthe was made with wormwood, Everclear, Vodka, & other herbs. I got to watch her put a batch together. It tasted like black licorice mixed with a  burning tire & that was after using suger & water. I've read that the hallucinations were most likely bullshit & it was alcohol poisoning that was the problem. I've got the bottle sitting in the floor,all covered in dust.

I've had vodka-based made-at-home Absinthe and it was great tasting...black licorice minus the burning tire....though afterward I felt such drink was entirely overrated?
"Poetry don't work on whores."

Andrew McIntosh

Absinthe was traditionally served with a cube of sugar in a perforated spoon to mellow the taste.

I've seen it for sale in my country, so I imagine it'd have to be legal in France by now.
Shikata ga nai.

Bleak Existence

brown ale & vienna lager but i try to drink less now

XXX

a friend made some  moonshine tincture recently and i was given a mason jar as  gift. didn't last too long between 3 drunks.

Levas

Most absinthe is legal at least in bigger part of EU lately. it mostly depends on amount of thujone which is said to be responsible for all that "yellow vision" stuff and so on.
I quite rarely drink it nowadays, but it's mostly because of its price. For the last couple of years when my friend was living in Switzerland, he used to bring me excellent absinthe from some little brewery in Alps.

Here is its web: http://www.absintissimo.ch/

It's one of the best i've ever tasted. Most cheaper ones are just simple strong alcohol with the taste of anise.
Anyways as for hallucinogenic effect of absinth though there are still discussions about it whether it's possible or not, once i had this weird experience:
We had some weed and a liter+ of absinth. At that time i was with my broken leg and could barely walk so i was sitting on the chair with my back turned to the wall of the house. So I stand up, turn around and notice there are doors in that wall. I open it - long stairs going up. I start going up, there's some sort of brothel. Everything's painted purple and I just wander through the rooms. There are people fucking here and there and so on, the usual activity of such place. After wandering around I turn back, go downstairs, close the door and sit back on my chair and sort of "wake up" from it. I don't know if it was absinthe or something else, but it was very real and very nice experience. Anyways, after one of Budrus recording session we ended up mixing Abba and SPK vinyls 4am in the morning so absinth does some good.

I also remembered one tasty drink when talking about anise - sambuca. It's rather sweet, but when you drink with all that ritual with coffee beans, burning up sambuca and inhaling the fume and so on it usually gets you drunk pretty quickly.

RG

Anyone brew their own beer? I've been thinking of picking up a kit to see what it's all about. Looks like you can make just about anything, with batches taking anywhere from 4 weeks to like 6+ months. If I can get some good results, I could turn my spare bedroom into a mini-brewery.

jake

My wife brought home a jar of homemade moonshine courtesy of one of her clients.
I had a hard day at the psychiatric ward so proceeded to drink a few beers and cap in off with what must have been equivalent to 4 or 5 shots of the moonshine.
Woke in the middle of the night, pissed all over the bookshelf in our room and then yelled at my wife as I attempted to clean up the mess with one of my shirts I pulled off the hanger from the closet.
Needless to say, I have cut back on my drinking significantly for the past few months.

Max

Quote from: drunk on September 11, 2011, 03:56:41 AM
I'll drink just about anything 'cuz I'm a piece of shit drunk.

this.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 10, 2011, 03:41:08 AM
One can't beat a good Merlot.

I am a fan. I enjoy red wine on the whole, but Merlot particularly. Don't really bother with lager or beer these days, bit of a minefield with finding drinks suitable for veggies. Cider I still enjoy from time to time, however. Scotch is probably my "top" boozey drink, single malts preferably. No ice, no coke, just whisky. Absynth/e is a curious number, unfortunately seems resigned to rights-of-passage style party games in a lot of cases but enjoyable nonetheless.

Couple of things that annoy me about booze are red wine that has been put in a fridge and the recent (3-5yrs or so?) infatuation with "big brand" bottled cider "over ice". Get some fucking scrumpy down you, you blouse wearers.