Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKHE

More Gothenburg. Second night at Nattmaran, first visit for me. The asphalt outside was covered with ice, a death trap that had to be crossed before reaching the anonymous door that led down an empty corridor in this run-down, soon-to-be-demolished-before-it-collapses abandoned brewery. The roof is leaking (not on the merch table or equipment, fortunately, just on the coffee table), paint falling off the walls. Horrific scenery, perfect for a venue like this. All the cosiness and friendliness and couches of Utmarken swept away. I think the crowd was about 20 heads strong, besides the organizers.

The angry deep-red revolutionaries in KHMER (kem?) NOIR began. Aggressive power electronics, just like the last time at the Trauma festival in November. Speeches and things. Kill the rich & their police forces. Very unstable performance, shit not working, wailing feedback most of the sound. Loudest set of the evening. Enjoyable. Though the confrontative element, pushing into the crowd shouting, isn't as effective as you'd wish when the crowd is expecting it. The edge is somewhat lost but I suppose that's the way of power electronics in general... you can't all be CON-DOM. But fun.

HEINZ HOPF released a tape in ten copies for the event, tied to a bottle of Elk Brew. Haven't listened to the tape yet (looks like it's pretty long, c30 perhaps?) but the brew was downed during the set (though half of it probably squirted all over the boys when the moshpit started). Missed the first minute unfortunately, but the remaining 3 or so where as you'd expect; riveting harsh noise chaos. Mr. RTB whiping his ass with a bit piece of sheet metal, mr. HHR abusing the pedals and noise generators. Good and quick headfuck. But it was way too silent. It didn't even hurt without ear plugs. Wtf?

TREPANERINGSRITUALEN headlined. More or less same material as the Trauma fest, but without the stage, projections or failing equipment. All music backtracked from a sampler with happy coloured buttons, plus vocals (some pitch-shifted). Great performance, heavy rhytmic industrial. Not very much to add, looking forward to hear the new material.

Some photos here (though only of TPR): http://view.oblivioncreations.se/profile.php?uid=3&ic=487

bitewerksMTB

Some photos here (though only of TPR)

Going just by the live photos, you'd think his work is a completely different genre than what he does... I think I read a record or 2 is in the works by TPR? Looking forward to obtaining those . I think I only have Small Doses tape & his side in that Swedish tape boxset.

ARKHE

The live sound these days is pretty far from the first tape releases. Same atmosphere, but much cleaner, more aggressive. Slicker? More professional? Yeah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9JCwCQdcU8&feature=related (malmö not gothenburg). one of the few Swedish acts today that could just as well play at a German industrial goth festival without seeming out of place. Which isn't a bad thing.
There's a 10" release on Release The Bats coming out within weeks. Plus some tapes. And vinyl re-release of the first tape, sometime.

GEWALTMONOPOL

After what seems like a huge influx of people who had it been 1995 had listened to britpop and sounded like Belle and Sebastian into the Swedish scene TPR is one of precious few who interests me. I loved Dead Letters. The least false project of it's ilk who left the other chancers in a cloud of dust. TPR has been around for a while but I've missed it. I have great expectations for when I start catching up. The RTB 10" seems a good place to begin.

Great photos btw. The beard could have given an American noise hippie from Michigan vibe but it doesn't. He looks brutal as hell.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Matthias

A few words on the same evening...

Had big expectations on Khmer Noir after the show in Malmö a couple of months ago, but as Andreas said, very unstable. Just too much going on at the same time with no proper focus. Still somewhat appreciated their heavily Con-Dom meets The Grey Wolves influenced power electronics for what it was, and there was a few golden moments when everything worked out well. Got the new demo which is pretty good, had me reaching for my Survival Unit reissues. Still need to get that Styggelse cassette (does it even exist??)...

The rehearsed HH set was around 15 minutes, but something happened as usual.. Something from my equipment went into the floor and around the same time I accidentely managed to cut a cable in half. I think Dan had some problems as well. Unfortunately many seemed to miss the much quieter beginning of the set which I think turned out pretty well. Anyway, nice to be back after the hiatus since last spring. Heinz Hopf 2.0, not quite there yet..

Trepaneringsritualen was good. Music top notch, although outgoing sound a bit muddy at times. An act maybe actually more suitable for a bigger scene? Not a big fan of video projections (and I totally understand it not being possible in a small venue like this), but another dimension of some sort would have lifted the show here. Looking forward to see how the 10" will be received, should be ready next week.

Next show at Nattmaran is apparently Damien Dubrovnik/Forza Albino/Feberdröm in 2 weeks.

HONOR_IS_KING!

KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

P-K

Quote from: Matthias on February 23, 2012, 09:45:12 AM
Yes, well I know it actually exists, but there was a mysterious cloud over that Styggelse batch..

just ask Kristian, i managed to get one, ......in the same line, i wonder if the Mark Of The Devil comp was ever released lol

-off topic- sorry

bogskaggmannen

Quote from: P-Ki wonder if the Mark Of The Devil comp was ever released lol

I got my copies so I assume so, yes. The PHCE doesn't really work like "normal" distribution outlets either.

bitewerksMTB

So people in Sweden have trouble getting Styggelse releases?!?

I think I have that "Mark of the Devil" tape...

Ritual

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 23, 2012, 09:06:24 PM
So people in Sweden have trouble getting Styggelse releases?!?

Not really. If you go to a show where Kristian is playing you can usually pick up whatever's available at the moment. And if you're after something particular you can ask Kristian in advance and he'll try and fix a copy. But there's always a "mysterious cloud", like Matthias said, over everything concerning Styggelse.

FreakAnimalFinland

Eleczema started. All the tracks with loud shouted vocals worked pretty well, but early part of set and transitions of simple multi-effect/flanger feedback moments etc between was not working really. Drastic volume changes through out the set etc. Most of all it was played very quiet. Not sure if soundman or just the type of sound, but it was very quiet compared to rest.

Forza Albino was like trademark power electronics. Two guys with synths and vocalist. Simple Korg and I guess... wasp buzzing noise and quite clean shouted vocals. Pussyboy track from debut tape opened set and followed with samples of transexual/sex change operations, HIV and such. Vocalist was crushing microphones on his blood dripping bruised face. I think sonically tape worked better for audio-ear-candy, but aggression and simplicity of rock set-up PE works well for me in live situation.

Jaakko Vanhala with his filterbank/pedal/shakebox/etc noise took stage next. He was first to fully use to power of PA system. From deepest subwoofer rumble to high pitched detailed crispy electronics. Always everything happening on all frequencies and everything moving very fast. His set was not aggressive like Forza Albino, but instead simply pure energy! Joyful noise bliss what seemed to appeal the crowd the most and what can I say? Simply great stuff.

Damien Dubrovnik was two member unit. Already known from LP's etc. If you combined Pleasureground era Prurient with little hints of euro PE and let Danish enthusiasm and energy mangle the mix, this is probably what comes? It's at the same time kind of structured synth industrial type of stuff as it is the simple two-microphone-feedback-creaming over bassy keyboard sounding tone. It has physical metal object abuse, it has samplers and such. Stage presence is filled with energy and movement. It is not the back towards audience noise making noise in corner, but wild and interesting to watch the wriggling soon-to-be-shirtless fagginess (in the positive meaning of word that is! hah!). Set was longest anyone did today, and it worked easily till the end.

Good night!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

Except for Eleczema, I haven't heard of any of those acts! Maybe I have heard of these acts but because I can't pronounce their names, my peabrain doesn't keep the information... Forza Albino sounds particularly interesting. Are these all Danish acts?*

*Ok, listening to F.A. on youtube now & I see Posh Isolation is the label.

Niko

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on March 04, 2012, 08:29:38 PM
Except for Eleczema, I haven't heard of any of those acts! Maybe I have heard of these acts but because I can't pronounce their names, my peabrain doesn't keep the information... Forza Albino sounds particularly interesting. Are these all Danish acts?*

*Ok, listening to F.A. on youtube now & I see Posh Isolation is the label.

Vanhala is finnish, probably best known as Zoät-Aon.
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.