Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

post-morten

Next IRM concert this coming Saturday at Nalen/Stockholm. Tommy, Love... are you in for a pre gig booze-up? I've seen them around five times since helping put on their first show back in 2002; always a treat.

Nyodene D

Frank Cordry and I are both attending the Anenzephalia / Kama Rupa / Pharmakon / FFH + Lussuria shindig in NYC this friday night.  I'm sure we'll both have summaries up for you this time next week...

Nyodene D

Frank Cordry and I are both attending the Anenzephalia / Kama Rupa / Pharmakon / FFH + Lussuria shindig in NYC this friday night.  I'm sure we'll both have summaries up for you this time next week...

ConcreteMascara

Also I'll be at the 4th Tesco night in Philly too. Hopefully my (most likely) booze soaked memory will come together for a decent show report.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

XE

Nice venue. Old factory. Extremely nice/noise friendly soundmen. Proper PA.

I saw only few acts:
LR- good stuff. PE. piercing feedback,small objects in a metal can/contact mic aktion, vocals. Good control over material.
LUST FOR YOUTH- not really my cup of tea usually. Electro stuff w/ sometimes harsher elements, Beats, keyboard melodies etc. Disco stuff. Anyway I like it a quite a lot. Somehow very honest stuff. One thumb up. Two thumbs up for the band name. Brilliant!
MASSIVE EJACULATION- Someone said it was shitcore. Noise from cdplayer guy w/ cock out in a terrorist mask doing vocals. Short set.

Some all-stars ( Finnish?) improvisation set before BU. Stage full of treehuggers, gtr,bass, plastic can as a drum, 2 hippy chicks doing sounds w/ their little mouths, one idiot was standing there w/ kid`s taperecorder and was a wearing a cape full of tribal/mystic drawings,
I was told these were people from "Kemialliset Ystävät" and "Tomutonttu" ( Dust Elf !). What a bunch of morons. Avantgarde? I got 3 words: count me out. One nice moment in a half way of their set when those unshaven arm pits/hirsute cunts started to do coughing( as a part of their show) to same mic at same time- semi erotic.

BIZARRE UPROAR- Loud and putrid. Pretty ok. Some hippy chick was operating our backround video = it was on for a few seconds. She stopped it. She was " a laptop player" for last local act on bill. Watched their show for a 4 minutes. some ponytail boy was singing : "Whats the purpose in life?" Good question. The laptop chick was wearing a furry mask. You know kind of oversized hat w/ eye loops.

RyanWreck

Quote from: Markkula on November 07, 2011, 10:27:05 PM

BIZARRE UPROAR- Loud and putrid. Pretty ok. Some hippy chick was operating our backround video = it was on for a few seconds. She stopped it. She was " a laptop player" for last local act on bill. Watched their show for a 4 minutes. some ponytail boy was singing : "Whats the purpose in life?" Good question. The laptop chick was wearing a furry mask. You know kind of oversized hat w/ eye loops.

Hahaha!

I wish Lust For Youth had a different vocalist, they would be one of the better synth-pop bands out there I just can't get into his over dramatic downer vocal styling.

GEWALTMONOPOL

No need to report really. The poster says it all. It's not because it's the ugliest poster I've seen. It's the same ugly tasteless cliched shit every time. What is it about noise people and their love for total lack of aesthetics? No fucking chance would that have been given a pass in industrial. And still these jokers dare to attempt a superior attitude.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on November 08, 2011, 12:56:51 AM
What is it about noise people and their love for total lack of aesthetics? No fucking chance would that have been given a pass in industrial. And still these jokers dare to attempt a superior attitude.

This is second time I've noticed you expressing such disgruntlements. Something someone said?

While I couldn't say for certain whether I've encountered more superior attitude from one camp or another, I would say that pe more readily sets itself up for ridicule simply by virtue of hanging more on the line. It should go without saying that concrete ideas (however approached) are easier targets. The greater the abstraction, on the other hand, the greater difficulty in mounting a basis for attack. In point of fact your two principle rants (that I've seen) have focused on almost everything but the actual sounds...

In any case I do think it pretty cool to see the pe/noise rivalry fomented with such passion!
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

heretogo

No fucking chance would that have been given a pass in industrial.

I dug this one out from the depths of the internet to calm you down:

The performance was even held at an art-fag institution!

Levas

My impressions from Saturday.
Overall if not BU and LR it wouldn't be worthy going there.
About the poster - it's excellent when it's without purpose and there's no info written there. what time the gig starts? who knows. where is it? who knows. or everyone on globe knows what's KATEL? well, perhaps it serves as some sort of piece of art or something like that. ok.
About the venue - nice, big venue with couple of stages. I've heard that the organizer was doing all sorts of artsy stuff for years so if he is able to rent such a nice place - excellent.
About the crowd - when i came there, right away i started to look for "corner for bloggers", starbuck's cafe, circles of people discussing postmodernism and making remarks with their typewriters and of course non-alcoholic cocktails. hm. there were no such place or at least i couldn't find such. but the 80% of the crowd was somehow unintentionally looking for these, I suppose. So it's been nice to meet several Finnish guys and some Lithuanians in there. otherwise it would be truly weird.
About the gig - I suppose first two acts were Kaspars Groshevs and Savidivas. Something boring. So I spent these walking here and there and drinking beers
LR - Very good. Very dynamic, loud and harsh. From time to time I even become jealous of his nicely put layers of sounds that go so well with each other. Very good. People going out one by one because of the loud sound, I guess.
Free Improvisation from Finland. - WOOOOOWWWWW.... Ville told me that it'll be perhaps interesting to see these. I lasted for 5-7 minutes and though it was so cold outside, it was better to shiver with bottle of beer outside than listen to that. ok. so the guy making rhythm on a bucket, two girls shouting to the microphone.. witchery i suppose. some dude and a girl doing whatever by the microphone. and two guys making drones, I suppose, at the back of the stage with guitar and bass. enough is enough.
BU - Not surprisingly the best that evening. Atmospheric, loud and perhaps not that brutal, but more twisted performance. Mr.BU making noises at the back of the stage and Mrs. Silent Abuse tearing apart her skin, spilling fake (or not) blood on her white dress etc. etc. It's been rather difficult to concentrate only on sounds because of the performance, but the overall experience was excellent. and i've noticed that there was some sort of visualization only when looking through filmed material.
Lust for Youth - Not for me, not for that evening, though this was one of the acts that I was curious to see, but felt rather tired and chose to get back to hostel.
so it's one of these fests where one should go only when there are truly known names playing for everything else that you'll wonder what could that be and go to check will be guys asking what's the purpose of life, dudes with traffic signs eating something and making it a performance and so on and so on.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: heretogo on November 08, 2011, 08:48:39 AM

Hippie performance art group performs at the ICA. I see nothing strange or out of the ordinary there. The poster, albeit not to my personal taste, is good. Looks like it was made by someone who knows his or her stuff.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

XE

Quote from: Levas on November 08, 2011, 10:16:11 AM

BU - Not surprisingly the best that evening. Atmospheric, loud and perhaps not that brutal, but more twisted performance. Mr.BU making noises at the back of the stage and Mrs. Silent Abuse tearing apart her skin, spilling fake (or not) blood on her white dress etc. etc. It's been rather difficult to concentrate only on sounds because of the performance, but the overall experience was excellent. and i've noticed that there was some sort of visualization only when looking through filmed material.

No fake blood.

P-K

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on November 08, 2011, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: heretogo on November 08, 2011, 08:48:39 AM

Hippie performance art group performs at the ICA. I see nothing strange or out of the ordinary there. The poster, albeit not to my personal taste, is good. Looks like it was made by someone who knows his or her stuff.

my guess would be Sleazy did the poster .....
and that's not industrial, THIS is industrial :

;-)

heretogo

If you're curious about how Finnish hippies sounded like in Tallinn you can check it out here:

http://soundcloud.com/tomutonttu/kemialliset-yst-v-t-at

Far poppier than KY (J. Anderzen + friends) normally is but still pretty fuckin' good if you ask me. But then again, I also listen to Grateful Dead & Incredible String Band...  eh. And apparently the festival took place close to a location where some parts of Tarkovski's Stalker were filmed... how industrial is that, huh?

XE

Quote from: heretogo on November 08, 2011, 09:39:28 PM
If you're curious about how Finnish hippies sounded like in Tallinn you can check it out here:

http://soundcloud.com/tomutonttu/kemialliset-yst-v-t-at

Far poppier than KY (J. Anderzen + friends) normally is but still pretty fuckin' good if you ask me. But then again, I also listen to Grateful Dead & Incredible String Band...  eh. And apparently the festival took place close to a location where some parts of Tarkovski's Stalker were filmed... how industrial is that, huh?

Thats not the saturday set I was talking about..   Please post a link if there is any? I would love to experience the girl on girl coughing again!