Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

impulse manslaughter

Went to Antwerp last friday to see Youth Code & Trepaneringsritualen. Lots of people showed up + great atmosphere. I really enjoyed the solid YC-performance. Clean and accessible but very energetic old school industrial. Saw Trepaneringsritualen one time before; watched 10 minutes and couldn't get into it.. Now i sat through the whole set but still wasn't impressed. Muffled sound and nothing going on except pre-recorded tracks and live vocals.

HongKongGoolagong

Hinoeuma the Malediction London 3rd February 2017

A funded and co-opted incarnation of COUM Transmissions played in Hull the same night. Here though was real industrial culture from legends keeping it real in a sleazy hired nightclub in Archway.

ACL/Antichildleague - slow build-up with samples and electronics, then furious contact mike and cymbal abuse, then vocals about 'fake female tears' declaimed with great passion - became a wonderful full-on PE temper tantrum with vicious strobe/laser lighting behind the stage and into our eyes - brilliant performance and very well-received by the audience.

Dead Normal - clearly with inspiration from both Sleaford Mods and modern Consumer Electronics, a male and female vocalist each spout sarcastic sounding words over surprisingly commercial sounding rhythms and almost-melodies - not all of this worked but when it did it was highly entertaining.

THE BLACK SCORPIO UNDERGROUND - after some theatrical and intense acts this guy had a tough place in the running order and his ritualistic drone with candles all over the desk didn't entirely hold my attention but others did enjoy it and I would check out again.

Sutcliffe Jügend - began with a piece I actually recognised, from With Extreme Prejudice. I haven't kept up with the seemingly endless albums released in recent times but this show seemed to revolve round similar sounding pieces which were song-like yet not quite songs - based around electronic loops and a mix of drones and chords from the guitar, with Kevin Tomkins laying down a kind of beat poetry, half-spoken half-sung and anecdotal and abject, very troubling and heartfelt words. One sarcastic young man present said it was like watching your geography teacher have a meltdown in the classroom before taking a term off, which was a great description. There were certainly absurd elements but they kept an audience entirely enraptured for an hour or so. Brilliant and very real art, and I genuinely wasn't expecting anything that good.

Andrew McIntosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAtBpSKrc94

Can't really get the atmosphere from a video like this of course but it doesn't sound too bad.
Shikata ga nai.

MMMM

I was hoping to see some reports and footage from this show. It certainly looks like they can still deliver.

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on February 06, 2017, 01:40:09 AM
One sarcastic young man present said it was like watching your geography teacher have a meltdown in the classroom before taking a term off, which was a great description.

What stronger praise could there be for an SJ show?

anotherwaytogetold

@HongKongGoolagong: No In Search Of Death comment ?

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: anotherwaytogetold on February 06, 2017, 07:06:04 PM
@HongKongGoolagong: No In Search Of Death comment ?

Unfortunately I missed that, was down the road at some horrible Archway hipster/yuppie pub being charged twelve quid for two drinks served by a bloke with a big and oiled beard and red braces who evinced shock that I was paying in cash not card. I believe Bagman or whatever name he is using had to cancel and didn't appear. It really was a great and friendly night though, congrats Gaya.

From memory - Cold Spring Night at FAC251, Manchester last autumn - September or October?:

SHE SPREADS SORROW - morose vocals and electronics from a depressed looking young woman - took off a bit during the end of the set with heightened passion during the singing, not too bad, not too great either.

IRON FIST OF THE SUN - I loved this guy last time he played M'cr but this time - maybe because I was concentrating more and closer to the stage - I started noticing his programmed Depeche Mode or Nitzer Ebb sounding basslines behind the noise and looking at his haircut and wondering if he shouldn't have just formed a pop group, the dude didn't entirely want to let go during this performance. Still a great screamer and still top marks for the Lady Di obsession.

MERZBOW - I'd never seen this guy perform before and honestly have heard a lot of negative things about his apparent lack of onstage charisma and excitement from people I trust who told me he is a laptop bore. Was very pleasantly surprised by one of the most full-on aggressive and painful to the ears noise shows I have ever seen - Akita on some sort of contact mike'd homemade metal banjo accompanied by a fierce drummer trying to keep up with him - derangement of the senses, incredible performance, tried to hide at the back towards the end as it was too loud but the frequencies pierced the ears like a nurse's syringe - wild and I am not surprised it has become a live album.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on February 06, 2017, 01:40:09 AM
Hinoeuma the Malediction London 3rd February 2017

A funded and co-opted incarnation of COUM Transmissions played in Hull the same night. Here though was real industrial culture from legends keeping it real in a sleazy hired nightclub in Archway.

ACL/Antichildleague - slow build-up with samples and electronics, then furious contact mike and cymbal abuse, then vocals about 'fake female tears' declaimed with great passion - became a wonderful full-on PE temper tantrum with vicious strobe/laser lighting behind the stage and into our eyes - brilliant performance and very well-received by the audience.

Dead Normal - clearly with inspiration from both Sleaford Mods and modern Consumer Electronics, a male and female vocalist each spout sarcastic sounding words over surprisingly commercial sounding rhythms and almost-melodies - not all of this worked but when it did it was highly entertaining.

THE BLACK SCORPIO UNDERGROUND - after some theatrical and intense acts this guy had a tough place in the running order and his ritualistic drone with candles all over the desk didn't entirely hold my attention but others did enjoy it and I would check out again.

Sutcliffe Jügend - began with a piece I actually recognised, from With Extreme Prejudice. I haven't kept up with the seemingly endless albums released in recent times but this show seemed to revolve round similar sounding pieces which were song-like yet not quite songs - based around electronic loops and a mix of drones and chords from the guitar, with Kevin Tomkins laying down a kind of beat poetry, half-spoken half-sung and anecdotal and abject, very troubling and heartfelt words. One sarcastic young man present said it was like watching your geography teacher have a meltdown in the classroom before taking a term off, which was a great description. There were certainly absurd elements but they kept an audience entirely enraptured for an hour or so. Brilliant and very real art, and I genuinely wasn't expecting anything that good.

thanks for the reminder that there were other bands than ace and sj. their efforts passed me by at the time
re sj-anyone going and expecting anything sounding like 'classic' back catalogue would have been sorely disappointed.
the set was largely new release based, with sounds generated by modified guitar synch, providing a wash of sounds (though this was nothing related to shoegazing music) and vocals that were half sung half growled. seen this band 6times now  since the err released red rose gig. different each time.
acl-whilst I'm sure I always listen with admiration at gaga's dedication to putting on these bands, as with sj, her performances are different each time, and always enjoyable.

impulse manslaughter

Went to see Jeph Jerman and Tim Barnes last night. Not harsh at all but a really great set!

harmonix

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on February 18, 2017, 03:28:02 PM
Went to see Jeph Jerman and Tim Barnes last night. Not harsh at all but a really great set!

saw this duo in Boston a bit back, one of the best shows I've seen in the last few years. Incredible and dynamic work with minimal setup. Always shifting direction while maintaining a singular "vibe" for 40 minutes or so. Needed a breather after that set.

impulse manslaughter

Missed this but i saw a Lawrence English solo live show last year that was way louder than expected.. Way better than his recorded material.

impulse manslaughter

Went to the (hipster/art) Rewire Festival last night to check out a few acts. Fist was Wolf Eyes; just a long jamsession with Olson playing samba balls, flute and sax. Didn't really go anywhere although i found myself bopping my head a few times. Was thinking on how good they were on the first few tours when they mixed these jamsessions with high energy industrial outbursts. Next was Pharmakon. Not familiar with the records and somehow i was expecting some weak hipster shit noise. Well, i was proven wrong. Couldn't really get into the first track but the rest of the set was pretty much vintage power electronics. Nice thick, heavy, analog sound at high volume and aggressive vocals. She keep the set short which was a good decision. Failed at intimidating the crowd but to me the whole act felt sincere. Nice surprise. Last was Croation Amor, an act i had high expectations of based on some of the records i have. Sadly, his live-set was a letdown. Samples of female vocals and ambient synths and background videos trying to get a point across i guess (images of manga movies, fashion shows, chat sessions, video games). I couldn't really care and left before the set was done.

absurdexposition

Puce Mary this past Thursday in Montreal. Totally engaging set. It was great. Nothing else to say really.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on April 02, 2017, 10:37:41 AM
Wolf Eyes; just a long jamsession with Olson

I had thought he declared Noise was "dead", but looking at the Bandcamp page I see Wolf Eyes play something called "Trip Metal" now.
Shikata ga nai.

Johann

It's all just some big inside joke (granted not particularly funny, unless I suppose your laughing at people holding on to terms of a genre/subgenre)...I think it's also a throw back to the trips festival of the 60's since at the recent trip metal festival in Detroit they had Morton Subotnik perform, despite the words chosen the festival itself was very good. Great sets by Panicsville, Rubber O' Cement, Subotnik, Joseph Hammer and many others. It was also free.

Wolf Eyes hasn't interested me much in a long while (I could probably see them several times a year if I ventured out, it's really all about who's playing with them), I was given a copy of Lower Forms and found it to be a good album the only time I listened. However that said I think it's important there sound has kept evolving over time since at this point they have existed for almost 20 years, so it really isn't a surprise they can just get up and play rather than focus on "songs"