Preference for Listening

Started by SafeWord, May 12, 2011, 04:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SafeWord

Curious as to how others like to listen to their PE/Noise. Ideal situation of where, when, state of mind etc. Do you feel the equipment you listen to the music to be of any impotance, do you prefer lo-fi or more audiophile equipment. I personally prefer to listen at home through audiophile headphones, any time of day with a sober mind. I find I can hear so much more subtle detail and be closed in to the noise when listening through a good set of headphones.

RG

Usually at night, sober. Sometimes headphones, but mostly through my floor speakers. I like to feel the sound surround me and fill the room. Typically as background sound for whatever I happen to be doing (dishes, working out, browsing web, etc...) As far as mood, I guess I'm open to noise/p.e. any time, except maybe when I'm in a really good mood. 

If I'm going to listen attentively and want to fully immerse myself in the sound, then headphones are the only way to go.

Andrew McIntosh

Really depends on the material. Not everything stands close scrutiny, and for mine, I'd rather listen to that which does. Mood is also a factor - not much point getting into Atrax Morgue when one is in a mood for CCCC, for example. Equipment factors are a long argument; for mine, I'm content with the simple but effective stereo system I have. I read an interview with Lustmord once, where he stated that most average stereo gear isn't qualified to bring out everything he says is in his music. I'd suggest there's not many other cases like that, though.

I use to apply the "background noise" test - put something on and do something else, and if I was drawn towards it, I thought it was good. These days, I see the flaws in that. Some material can only work itself on you if you give it attention, other material can seem okay on first listen but not really reward repeat listens. Longevity is something important to me - regardless of how infrequently I'll be in the mood for Noise/PE these days, I know that moods vary over time and that I want albums in my collection that I can return to, even after years. It's not always easy to know what's going to stand up to that test, but one can do one's best. It's got to be the best albums by the best artists, and for me right now that list gets shorter and shorter.
Shikata ga nai.

SafeWord

Definitely some interesting points of view, I have not got a lot of listening experience under my belt yet compared to many others on this board. I have already found too, that if I am not listening at home, i like to listen either on my long walk to work through the city of melbourne at around 5 30am. The City is still very dark but being surrounded by an urban environment creates a new perspective, as did the other day when I was driving through the countryside listening to Sutcliffe Jugend which added an interesting juxtaposition with the audio. I also find a decent set of closed headphones allows me to experience a lot of the lower frequencies that cheap earbuds cannot replicate.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on May 12, 2011, 08:13:52 AMI read an interview with Lustmord once, where he stated that most average stereo gear isn't qualified to bring out everything he says is in his music. I'd suggest there's not many other cases like that, though.
That's a silly statement on your part, and I don't say that to attack you.  I can't follow your logic is all.  I could list countless bands, projects, and albums that experience escalating returns the better the playback system is.  The ambient genre is packed with them, just as one broad-stroke example.  Electro-acoustics as another.  I won't even bother to keep going.  There's no sense talking about it.  If you heard it for yourself, there would be no discussion.

And hearing noise/PE cranked through a PA at 130db isn't nearly the same experience (and visa versa) as say, hearing Genocide Organ's Mind Control, or Francois Bayle's Son Vitesse-Lumière, or Koner's Permafrost, or Voice of Eye's Transmigration, or Null/Plotkin's Aurora, or MZ.412's "Salvo Honoris Morte", through even an entry-level audiophile stereo system.

Ever hear, or read, someone say in response to a Black Sabbath virgin, "Man, you're so lucky.  I wish I was just hearing Black Sabbath for the first time right now."?  If they haven't heard an original mastering on a great system, then they too can experience Black Sabbath like it was their first time.  That's the kind of difference the playback system can make.  I'm sure you realize this, so I'm not sure why you'd underestimate, or maybe undermine, the value of the playback system.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

I got my first "proper" own stereos as teenager and it made all the difference to move from 2-tape deck plastic boombox into cheap "all-in-one" stereo package. I hold that gear for way too long. Even when all the other gear had changed into better set up, I actually had the same speakers. When I was living in apartment, it was so cluttered with crap, I though I should buy SMALLER speakers, but what sound equally good. I took my speakers and Merzbow CD with me to audio equipment shop and said I want smaller, but as good sound. And what a shame it was, when the cheapest pieces of shit they had available, were like twice better than ones I had carried. I could have improved the set with investment of like.. 50,- ?  I ended up upgrading higher. And then I though, this is as good as I need. And that was conclusion only until I had room for more and I actually got to hear what it means.

Gradient speakers, mid 80's Finnish hand made high-end, I bought 2nd hand. And this is the type of stuff where you don't need to think about subwoofers or such, since they go from very high till very deep bass.

Gradient is known around the world and won many awards.
Anyway, with this kind of speaker, you really go much further from just having "whatever" supermarket mini-hifi stacked somewhere in corner of room. Of course some would say it is up to taste, what level playback you require, but starting from standard rock'n'roll going deep into classical music or as Zeno referred: electro-acoustics etc, you can really fully experience the composition when you actually hear it. Especially in the electro-acoustic, you might miss the whole range of sound operating in deepest levels, when the speakers can't reproduce the sound of album.

I think this has been topic before, here or noisefanatics, but now it has really been golden times to buy stereo equipment. Just about every auction site in UK, USA, Germany, etc. is packed with cheap old hi-fi. "Normal people" move into ipod era, and the bigger & better stuff goes for fraction of its original price. Also the real nutty hi-fi enthusiasts are good source. I'm 100% sure every country has the hi-fi magazine forums with 2nd hand section, and some folks seem to have so much money they give test run to all type of gear all the time, and sell it for half price when they get idea to test something else. Tube amps, turntables, tape decks, CD players,.. just to be grabbed at decent prices when someone is possessed by endless upgrading.

When I got the Gradient speakers, that basically meant that just about everything should have been re-listened. And of course is being done so. Suddenly one is able to spot the difference which album sounded flat because it was - and which sounded flat only because lacking playback. Even something like old Ramleh recordings, if you exclude the Pure CD versions, the bassy brutality of some of the recordings isn't coming through on all types of speakers.

In my own recordings, for example "Valkoista Voimaa" of Grunt Petturien Rooli album, I haven't heard it sound "right" almost anywhere. The distant beat operates on such a low bass frequencies, many speakers fail to make it audible, removing one key element of whole track away. "Professionals" of course could say one has to master the release to sound good in all stereos, but that seems silly. Why compromise on piece of art(?) so instead of sounding good at good equipment, it will sound half assed with everybody's equipment?  This also leads to modern noise releases, which are often compressed and overtly distorted into such degree, they may sound "loud" at shitty stereos, but severely lacking when played with proper hi-fi with the needed amplification power that you could turn it loud if you want it loud.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tisbor

as for everything else : sitting on my ass with something to drink
stereo equipment is of course important, i think especially with noise and experimental music

ARKHE

Most of my equipment is inherited from older generations, bought in the 70's/early 80s (speakers, record player...). Two pairs of spekaers, they complement each other pretty well; since they're 35-40 years old all cripsness/whatever clarity is gone, but they are muddled in different frequencies so together they give quite a decent sound if you crank it up enough.

Prefer listening in speakers rather than headphones - it becomes too cramped, don't enjoy the physical sensation of something covering my ears. Of course, you hear all sounds much clearer, but the slight claustrophobia of my head being on a leash from the amp isn't worth it if I have the possibility of filling the room with sound rather than just my ears. It's just more comfortable so be able to move around while listening. Also, filling the room with sounds is actually more immersive than listening with headphones to me. Headphones=bondage, speakers=master freedom, hah!
But it all depends on why I'm listening to something, and what I'm listening to. Now for example, some Prurient blasting while checking my mail, eating breakfast. Not really an attentive listening session with the sounds in focus. I do that all too rarely and randomly. There just isn't time to sit down and enjoy an album or two every now and then.

SafeWord

One reason I opened this topic is because i am going to build up a hi fi system, ground up to upgrade from my shitty plastic all in one sony hi fi system. I had a listen to a Screwtape cassete on both this system and my parents 30+ year old Technics cassette deck and intergrated amp and the sound improv was nuts, so much punchier and heavy on the Technics. I am thinking of going with Arcam for the amp and cd player, with hopefully an old nak cassette deck and a rega turntable. I want to hear those low frequencies that Mikko was talking about because I think some works may lose their intengrity.

RG

Quote from: SafeWord on May 12, 2011, 12:50:43 PM
with hopefully an old nak cassette deck

Beware the old cassette decks. In the past year I've purchased both a Nakamichi and a NAD cassette deck off of ebay and both of them have shit the bed. Apparently those old high-end cassette decks are very prone to breaking, especially the Naks. Rather than take it to a repair man who will probably charge me more than what I paid for the unit, I just went to Best Buy and bought a Sony Walkman, which I was shocked they actually had in stock. Obviously it's not ideal and I'm losing some sound quality, but hey, it works!

I too am in the process of upgrading my stereo system. Just recently bought a restored Dual 1219 turntable from www.fixmydual.com. The guy has the reputation of being a Dual turntable guru and was very helpful. It cost a little over $500 with a cartridge upgrade. So far I like it a lot, sounds a lot more "wide" and full than my shitty JVC plastic turntable. This Dual table weighs like 25 pounds and is built like a fucking tank!

Looking to minimize my system. Going to get rid of my big receiver and go with just a phono preamp that has a few aux inputs. Also eliminating my 5 CD changer, totally unncessary because my computer is also a part of the system.

Zeno Marx

NAK decks are notorious for being constant maintenance nuisances.  The entire US market has a single authorized repair shop.  Your deck could spend 6 months out of each year waiting to get corrected and returned to you.  I'd have a backup deck of some sort.  I'm a big advocate of the older NAD amps and pre-amps, but I never cared for their cassette decks.  They seemed to have problems with speed flux and motor reliability.  I used to see them used a lot.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

I think I stated this back on the Tronics thread related to this that my favorite piece of my set-up is my receiver. It's a middle of the road model Luxman (20-25 years old) but it can get a lot of power and great volume levels with my speakers. And it sounds excellent if you're just running head phones into it. To be honest if it ever dies I'll probably just replace it with the same model. :p
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Used is the way to go these days.  Lots of people still switching over to 5.1 and 7.1 for "home theaters" and getting rid of their stereo set-ups.  Gearheads buying and switching out gear a couple times a year, so lots of like-new equipment floating around in the city markets; a good percentage being doctors and lawyers in this group.  I hesitate to buy CD players or cassette decks used, but if you find that "gear over listening" person, they've hardly been played at all.  They're the reverse absurdity of the music lover who has $10K sunk into their music collection with a $400 stereo set-up.  The gear junkies have $10K into their system and only have a couple dozen CDs in their library.  I've seen it plenty of times.  Gone over to someone's house to possibly buy equipment, and they don't own any music.  "Where's your music collection?", and they slide open a door on a hutch or pull out a drawer with possibly 50 or less CDs and "1/2 speed mastered" LPs.  Big toys for bigger incomes.  They don't even have the time to listen to music; working 80-hour work weeks as they slave to the corporate grind.  People like me benefit.  It's all good.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

disciplinante

Zeno Marx

I really dislike the sound of most horned speakers.  No imaging or depth to them.  Blocks of sound.  Nice looking and vintage or retro appearances, but I don't buy equipment for its prettiness.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.