Canon of Power Electronics

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 08, 2009, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monotome

Maybe make this topic a sticky (then also with the noise canon topic) ? Lot's of good information for sure.

cr

In my opinion Survival Unit 'Fentanyl Martyrs' surely belongs in the canon.

I would also like to mention Brethren - personal favourite is Alienated and Radicalized, but maybe for the canon it should be Savage Inequalities.

burdizzo

Yeah, I noticed Brethren was missing - but I think the Organized Resistance one is even better.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: burdizzo on April 01, 2016, 11:24:32 PM
Yeah, I noticed Brethren was missing - but I think the Organized Resistance one is even better.

Stumbled across Organized Resistance a few months ago and HAD to pick up the tape immediately, still listening to it on a weekly and sometimes almost daily basis. Vocals are completely enraged and berzerk and then monotone and very straight forward. The restrained parts of the album compliment the raging storm sections perfectly. A modern PE classic, for me at least, along with the already mentioned Zyklon SS- Anti Personnel Explosive Device which I might like even more.

Can't wait to hear the Iron Division tape.

burdizzo

'Iron Division' is great.

Also from the Brethren 'stable' is Revolutionary Command, and their LP has some nice stuff, too - though probably not as strong as Organized Resistance.

Brad

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 08, 2009, 10:09:41 AM
*Controlled Bleeding "Knees And Bones" LP, one of the utmost classics. And the material of session has been recycled extensively, and with success, like "Plegm Bag Spattered" cd 5 years later, which could be even stronger?

Artoffact is reissuing it on CD and 2xLP this summer, along with Distress Signals and Body Samples.

http://www.stormingthebase.com/controlled-bleeding/

calaverasgrande

If we are going to cast a wide net and say Industrial/Noise/PE, I think you have to include Throbbing Gristle, 2nd Annual Report (1978).
They coined the term Industrial, so are indisputably influential in that alone. But also the confrontational aspects, outre topics of nazism, perversion, pedophilia etc seem to kind of started with them.  They were more of a 'band' but did have some elements of PE involved if you consider the stuff Chris Carter did with sound generation devices he built himself.

I'd also posit that Cabaret Voltaire's releases up until 'Crackdown' were pretty influential. "Red Mecca" (1981) which contrasted the Christian right with Islamic extremists. 'Baader-Meinhof' (1979) and similar 7"s from early CV show a lot of directions that later bands kind of templated. Of course they later veered off into electro-industrial and then straight up dance music.  Not as much my cup of tea, but I think they cast a pretty long shadow in that regard with acts like Skinny Puppy, NIN and other more commercial acts certainly taking cues from them, but leaving out any controversial content.
But hey, if you are acknowledging SPK who later went pretty much straight up dance with some funny edges, it's hard to write off CV and TG for doing the same.

breidahl

Quote from: calaverasgrande on June 27, 2016, 01:08:12 AMThey coined the term Industrial
No, Monte Cazazza coined the term industrial.

calaverasgrande

Quote from: breidahl on July 02, 2016, 12:59:42 PM
Quote from: calaverasgrande on June 27, 2016, 01:08:12 AMThey coined the term Industrial
No, Monte Cazazza coined the term industrial.
Ha funny don't know how I could forget Monte Cazazza. That's like forgetting Boyd Rice.
I've even got a record of his or two.
Still, TG worked with him and was pretty instrumental in popularizing the term.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Brad on April 28, 2016, 06:09:24 PM
*Controlled Bleeding "Knees And Bones" LP, one of the utmost classics. And the material of session has been recycled extensively, and with success, like "Plegm Bag Spattered" cd 5 years later, which could be even stronger?

Artoffact is reissuing it on CD and 2xLP this summer, along with Distress Signals and Body Samples.

http://www.stormingthebase.com/controlled-bleeding/

I own originals of the debut LP & "Distress Signals" but I may have to pick the reissues up. The Broken Flag tape isn't exactly one I want to play in my van tape deck to eat up.

Brad

*Grey Wolves "Catholic Priests Fuck Children" LP

Hospital Productions just announced a reissue of this one on CD.

Thor

I'd second the Sick seed - the Great Corrupter. I feel SS managed to create something unique and have carved a different path with this one.
I also feel that in time, the new Con-dom "how welcome is death to I [..]" is going to be added to this list in time once its impact has been realized. A very welcome and different approach to p.e. which really sticks with you

Scat-O-Logy

Deadpriest

Nicole 12 - Black lines deserves some distinction.
Also I'd really like to agree with Mikko about G.R. by Deathpile, total savagery and hellish reality.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Thor

I understand that this is the canon of "p.e" (opposed to indistrial) but if you're including SPK, isn't it strange not to include any Throbbing Gristle, which basically laid the foundation for what others worked with?