Canon of Power Electronics

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 08, 2009, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

We could ask same thing of any any popular releases, for example: Whitehouse. SPK. NON. back then, or right now. Their value isn't decreasing whether some people "outside" the die hard PE collectors are also is exposed.

I'm quite sure that new PM album, now being distributed by Cargo, will reach most of all difference audience compared to for example tapes sold by Freak Animal.

SPK LP has been added to list, as it clearly should be.

Originally idea was to try focus on thing what are closely enough to "PE", but then question remains, what is PE and if we narrow it down to "sounds like early Whitehouse", is there really bands what qualify as "PE"?  And does majority of the list really go under PE. You know, John Duncan "riot" LP? Improvised shortwave radio noise? Blackhouse "hope" LP, just sort of rhythmic pre-EBM/industrial works. Boy Dirt Car, Eric Lunde, Ultra, Law, Brighter Death Now, etc...   When we reach bands like Haus Arafna, it's pretty far on goth/dancey/industrial.. even kind of "dark pop" whatever people call it, it should be clear list isn't all about two-synths-and-screaming-obscenities -template.

Perhaps accurate title could be "canon of power electronics/post-mortem/dark side of post-industrial". Then one wouldn't need to be too picky whether particular album fits into category, but still have some sense in it that it won't be just full of ambient, harsh noise and such.

But more importantly would be if there are suggestions? With short text why. It would be stupid to just list assumed greats, what haven't really made impact. One could say, based on things I read, and what I felt, new Genocide Organ would be most likely be entry on year 2016. Other big names, such as Consumer Electronics ‎– Dollhouse Songs LP, 1000 copies done, but I haven't seen more than perhaps couple usual suspects praise it. But popularity may be elsewhere? 30 dates tour around europe this spring... One may debate whether it is "true PE", but as mentioned, we could ask the same about half of titles on list.

More importantly of course, what would be beyond the known names, the high profile ones. I mentioned for example Kevlar and ZSS. Not only alone, but kind of picking up representatives from heavier stuff. ZSS moves in territory where previously Streicher, Mania and perhaps rough themes been dealt to such vulgar levels by XE. It's possible none of them were listed either. Kevlar is not only representative for themselves as band who created releases what sold fast, was talked about and appreciated, but also could be reminder about wider "heavy electronics" wave that has been happening.

Anyone on board, as always, suggestions welcome. Just explain briefly why and it can be discussed. Try to not make it list of own stuff that is in need of attention. If some release seems out of place on list, critic for it also possible. But preferably, not question why LXSS of such is on the list, but rather question why there is no entry for ____, _____ and _____?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

GEWALTMONOPOL

"Back then" was a different world. It may as well have been a different planet.

CE "back then" may have a place but CE of today doesn't because it's for Wire readers, old geezers who have no interest in anything new (or much of the old either for that matter) and the odd guilt ridden noise fan who considers them an acceptable face of PE because there are art credentials attached and/or some other bollocks. It's PE for people who pinch their noses at the genre made by people who pinch their noses at the genre.

Puce Mary has made enough of a mark to warrant a place. Time will tell how many future releases will belong there though.

I agree with Andrew McIntosh. There's no rush and time tells who belongs there and who doesn't.

Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

david lloyd jones

It's clear from the list that the  longevity of the genre (both strictly PE and it's wider cross pollination with other harsh noise genres) as well as subjective notions make this a potential mish mash of releases that reminds me of those mainstream press lists of lp's to listen to before you die (as well as driving scone hand prices up for 'classics' ).
A cannon to me is tightly defined. That said the process of historification should be by those involved rather than outsiders.
To a listener of 30 odd years standing it strikes me that suggestion are subjective and partial. There's plenty I've listened to but plenty I've missed.
That said recent PE releases  (subjective) would need to include STAB Electronics  and Iron Fist of the Sun- and to muddy the water somewhat I would include live performances  as part of their inclusion

PTM Jim

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 26, 2016, 02:23:42 PM
Gaze Campaign    "Gestalt Bruise" tape
I would say this deserves a place on the list. Two reasons, 1) It marked the beginnings of a strong label with a very strict aesthetic and attention to detail as far as packaging (something, if done well, is ESSENTIAL and can truly define an album). 2) It gives Japan a major PE voice since White Hospital's "Holocaust" a country that, in contrast, is much more widely known for it's harsh noise.

And now that it's mentioned, White Hospital could belong in the 1984 slot for essentially influencing GC I'm sure.

VelvetCurtain

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on March 27, 2016, 06:43:58 PM
"Back then" was a different world. It may as well have been a different planet.

CE "back then" may have a place but CE of today doesn't because it's for Wire readers, old geezers who have no interest in anything new (or much of the old either for that matter) and the odd guilt ridden noise fan who considers them an acceptable face of PE because there are art credentials attached and/or some other bollocks. It's PE for people who pinch their noses at the genre made by people who pinch their noses at the genre.

Puce Mary has made enough of a mark to warrant a place. Time will tell how many future releases will belong there though.

I agree with Andrew McIntosh. There's no rush and time tells who belongs there and who doesn't.

Tbh, I am not a fan of the new record. That being said, I would say that a lot of what you said is not true. I often read people talking about "art credentials" on this board. Who gives a fuck if Sarah got a degree in the arts? I don't think that is really a consideration many people take up in noise and not when critiquing their work. And I know plenty of down and dirty PE HEADS that like old and new CE. Just saying. But I'm speaking from a Midwestern American perspective.

I agree that Puce Mary deserves a place.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: PTM Jim on March 28, 2016, 07:08:30 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 26, 2016, 02:23:42 PM
Gaze Campaign    "Gestalt Bruise" tape
I would say this deserves a place on the list. Two reasons, 1) It marked the beginnings of a strong label with a very strict aesthetic and attention to detail as far as packaging (something, if done well, is ESSENTIAL and can truly define an album). 2) It gives Japan a major PE voice since White Hospital's "Holocaust" a country that, in contrast, is much more widely known for it's harsh noise.

And now that it's mentioned, White Hospital could belong in the 1984 slot for essentially influencing GC I'm sure.

These would be exactly my reasons. Plus that it was also damn good. As far as I know, project received many invitations from bigger labels based on this release? It is a stand out tape-album if suddenly all the "unexpected" people also notice it.

If I may try to kick some life into topic, I'd just drop one title per year to start with. Something to consider. It's not about writing a bible, but would be certainly nice to see that there IS something published in last 10 years what has made some sort of memory impact on people...

Xenophobic Ejaculation "white power" and "victory". Project took the sexualized racist offenses to logical conclusion barely seen even in the vilest old PE. The fact that material has been issued on tape, LP, CD, LP box and still it is just wanted. Some may say, it's just niche for those who want to try out something most disgusting, but I doubt that would be only reason. Project simply delivers something what has not been there. One could pick most crude pieces of Ramleh, early SJ, Whitehouse's Buchenwald, and still XE comes out more piercing and more challenging.

IRM "Order 4" CD
I've heard people say that when this came out, there was like no way back. If Closure is step away from "power electronics", perhaps this still is pretty accurately under genre tag? Influential for being such carefully crafted, lots of atmospheric drone, but also throbbing electronic power, but also innovative experimentation. Been widely available as well.

Trepaneringsritualen "Veil The World" tape (/CD)
Again band, who hardly is "PE" in the strict sense. But if there are crude vocals, suffocating rotten soundscapes that are both noisy and grim, I guess we get close enough. We have several death industrial releases on list anyways. Why Veil The World? Basically that it is a step above from 1st tape (in my opinion), and also kind of starting point when band suddenly starts to be noticed. In what order it happened? 2011 also Martyrium tape came out, as well as Totality of Death compilation tape version. And next thing, in couple of years everybody wants piece of TRP. Releases, re-releases, cross-over from deep underground into touring and large press-coverage. Maybe latter works display already such a classic industrial music, that they barely qualify, but here, I think his approach still fits under list in same way as all the "heavy electronics", "postmortem", "old school industrial noise" releases have.

Alfarmania "Skräcken" CD
After so much hard to get tapes, small edition vinyls, etc.. Finally there was regular digipak CD possible to buy. What exactly makes it stand out from Alfarmania output, is hard to say. To me there is hardly any fails in Alfarmania discography. His bleak rotten industrial waste with echoing vocals is perhaps lacking the "hit songs", but band is much more than one stand out song. It is crucial in awakening of "postmortem" spirit in scandinavia - and further. I just pick the CD for reasons mentioned before. Alfarmania's influence probably goes way beyond is it "available" or even heard.

LR "The Fragility Of Happiness" tape/LP
This probably causes controversy. First of all, is it PE? Well, lets say, it's PE in same sense as some works of Prurient. Vocal shrieking with loud feedback. Raw noisy sounds. Song structures. Not to-the-bone PE thug mentality, obviously, but hardly just "art noise". There is no techno. There is no noiserock or fuzz-punk or post-punk here. Out of influential and praised Copenhagen/Posh Isolation scene, whatever one thinks of it, one can't deny it has had impact both locally and globally. This tape was reissued on big print run LP and therefore likely to have more individual impact than most tapes that just disappear. Average ratings on LP at discogs is firm 5/5, so I'm not only one who'd feel this is better than many other posh isolation titles.

And talking of pressing numbers and ratings, I guess one example of the current heavy electronics would be of course Shift "Altamont Rising". Cold Spring probably pressed even 1000 copies? Vinyl LP was done and sold in blink of an eye. Multiple ratings at discogs hits almost full 5/5. It is unlike the "90's heavy electronics". It's more saturated and distorted, cold, nihilist and hostile, yet fully escapes "noise". Perhaps satisfactory also genre fanatics, that there is no flirt to mainstream, artworld nor much of cross over anywhere. Just isolation inside industrial power electronics.

again not PE per se, but how could not mention KE/HIL "Zone 0"? Of course one could claim that this is talked about and praised because there are some known figures behind it. But then, just check out the album and it seems like some sort of energy had been injected in veins at Mannhaim, since the projects suddenly improved and made their best works ever - or for long time in recent times!

absoluten calfeutrail

1993 Charred Remains A·K·A Man Is The Bastard ‎'Our Earth's Blood' 7"
A singular North American approach, though evidently influential. Surely a case can be made for the inclusion of Bastard Noise - or is their scope too wide otherwise?

1994 John Duncan 'John See Soundtracks' LP
I noticed 'Riot' is already listed, but is there maybe something of significance to be found here also? A piece like 'Breath Choir' feeds pleasingly into the thematic preoccupations of many subsequent PE works.

2008 V/A 'Break Your Face' CD
Thinking here about the fourth criteria listed in the OP - 'high local relevance'. Although Slogun already appears, this compilation perhaps encapsulates a particular strain of North American action from 2000-2010.

2009 BT.HN. ‎'Vitiated' LP
Perhaps a stretch - something is here in the presentation and mood that seems fitting. Throbbing dirty electronics with little movement and a dismal, unsympathetic general tone.

2014 Forza Albino ‎'Black Dog' LP/CS
Again thinking of geography - there is discussion here about the works of Puce Mary (and rightfully so), but is this perhaps a more fitting exemplar of contemporary Danish PE?

FreakAnimalFinland

I could second on all these. MITB our earths blood is not only still very strong, but I believe it introduced certain audience whole "PE" sound. If one would need some clarification my personal appreciation, how about "Freak Animal" pulled from lyrics of this 7", hah... Or guy from U.N.D. tattooing the same on his neck. Band hold very clear relevance to 90's Finnish scene in general. You could ask almost anyone, UND, Bizarre Uproar, Order, Pain Nail,.. etc..

John Duncan is great, and also quite nice stories. One could see highlight in a way of expanding to film soundtracks, highly collectible pic LP, this CD being still available due large print runs. Is it PE per se... not really..

Isn't Break Your Face 2004? Perhaps could culminate this team who is on the compilation. Slogun and co. invaded europe few times, did Japan and so on.. This was released for the tour, but was perhaps kind of testament of this time? I was present in several occasions and it was pretty enthusiastic international events to be remembered. I would say Slogun would deserve more mentioned than just one CD on this list.

Control has not yet been even included, even if he has presented very unique sound and approach. Someone suggested World Of Lies few message ago, and I would agree on that. I requested band if he would have some material what is less densely layered. He offered me this more violent and direct album, and I personally appreciate it very highly! Debut CD isn't that amazing, but already from 2nd album onwards, all albums are good.

BT.HN, I guess already name itself refers to "Harsh Noise"? Of course list includes stuff like MO "Anal Perversions" which is pretty much harsh noise recording, but I guess BT.HN. would rather be noise project..

Forza Albino, being again my release, I don't want to suggest it myself. Now most members seem to be out from the scene, so this may remain as farewell of project. It has been sent out a lot of copies around world and seems to fill the need of rough good prototype PE. I mean, even making this kind of canonized list of PE makes one realize how little there is real power electronics! And how small fragment of that would be firmly focused on nasty noisy electronics and energetic vocals. I knew the guys before band, and I don't remember what was the original name idea for band, but I recall telling that it ain't too good. They ended up using Forza Albino. Pussyboy track from first tape is certainly something of an instant hit. It has the very unusual aura on it, as it rejects the all-the-way-brutal "punk/metal" approach vocals, and goes almost whiny howls. It would be really good to get both 12"s and both tapes to be one full length Forza Albino CD. That would be desired testament if the project if really over...

absoluten calfeutrail

QuoteIsn't Break Your Face 2004?

Right you are - my mistake!

QuoteBT.HN, I guess already name itself refers to "Harsh Noise"? Of course list includes stuff like MO "Anal Perversions" which is pretty much harsh noise recording, but I guess BT.HN. would rather be noise project..

Yeah fair enough. On reflection it is perhaps a work that contains elements of or pushes towards PE - but is not an exemplification of the mode.

Bleak Existence

BT. HN. is more controlled PE dynamism; from crashing feedback and steel abuse, to throbbing lines of electronics and vocals. words from Sam in a interview from 2010 but in my book it #1 PE

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 27, 2016, 10:20:21 AMOther big names, such as Consumer Electronics ‎– Dollhouse Songs LP, 1000 copies done, but I haven't seen more than perhaps couple usual suspects praise it. But popularity may be elsewhere? 30 dates tour around europe this spring... One may debate whether it is "true PE", but as mentioned, we could ask the same about half of titles on list.

Saw last night in Salford - young audience with many 20somethings, and large proportion of females present, the beats and Russell Haswell's input much more clear than on the album. Nothing at all to do with PE anymore beyond the obvious history, some of the subject matter and aesthetics. I guess you could call it some kind of bad trip psychedelia or rave comedown thing? Hard to describe for sure.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 28, 2016, 10:10:38 AM
again not PE per se, but how could not mention KE/HIL "Zone 0"? Of course one could claim that this is talked about and praised because there are some known figures behind it. But then, just check out the album and it seems like some sort of energy had been injected in veins at Mannhaim, since the projects suddenly improved and made their best works ever - or for long time in recent times!

Zone 0 is a giant leap forward for the project and was greeted with some surprise and got a generally warmer reception than the traditional or, perhaps more accurately described, familiar sounding Hellstation. There is no doubt this is a great album and it firmly dispels any suggestion that "Mannheim" has lost its drive. For that it's not unfair to add it to The Canon but at the same time I prefer Hellstation for it's cold and precise sound. Both albums are great but Hellstation is more to my personal taste.

Albums that belong in the canon may not always be an artists strongest work. I think it's more about impact at a time and place. For example Leichenlinie. By miles not their best work but it's the one album that set the whole thing in motion and therefore more significant in the canon than vastly superior albums like The Truth or In-Konflikt.

Survival Unit belongs in the canon. Not sure which album goes up there but he definitely belongs.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

VelvetCurtain

I think Forza Albino would be a good addition to the cannon. Unique atmosphere and sound that is sadistic in its own way. Charisma.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on March 29, 2016, 12:46:37 AM
Survival Unit belongs in the canon. Not sure which album goes up there but he definitely belongs.

Agreed. My vote would have to go to Fentanyl Martyrs because even at two discs, there's no filler at all and it's the perfect culmination of the SU sound imo, or Will to Zero which is pretty damn solid, even if it is a bit rougher around the edges.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Bleak Existence

agree with SU- Fentanyl Martyrs should be add to the list