Comics and graphic novels

Started by tiny_tove, May 03, 2011, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Excellent piece about underground comix:

https://reason.com/2019/04/29/cancel-culture-comes-for-count/

I remember finding comix by Crumb, etc. in the adult room of a used bookstore in my early teens. I'd sneak in to get them then claim to the clerk that they were in the regular comic book boxes & hope he wasn't the one that stocked them. Fun days, for sure! I still have a big stack of them. Wish I had kept all the issues of Weirdo I owned.

impulse manslaughter

Just finished Daytripper (Vertigo). One of the best things i read lately. Great, original storytelling.

EXU

Lazrs3

Just re-read Black Hole, all time favourite.

impulse manslaughter

Black Hole is great. Remember buying the first issue and then waiting 10 years for the story to get finished..

Lazrs3

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on May 04, 2019, 11:57:40 PM
Black Hole is great. Remember buying the first issue and then waiting 10 years for the story to get finished..

Yes me too, tbh I had the hots for the girl with the tail. Was happy for him that he got with her in the end.

Acne

any wolverine fans in here? I want to start reading the trades but I was wondering if anyone had any favorites

Lazrs3

Quote from: Acne on May 09, 2019, 03:49:17 AM
any wolverine fans in here? I want to start reading the trades but I was wondering if anyone had any favorites

I used to read Uncanny X-men when younger, the epic issue was the one where he fights Lady Deathstrike, the artwork was by Barry Windsor Smith.

Eigen Bast

Weapon X and Not Dead Yet are classics

Hemwick

I love the X-Force comics were Cyclops hires Wolervine to get a black ops squad to execute threats to mutants.  And then they went to do an uncanny x force with wolverine and whole new team it's really good both highly recommended

ethnic_separatist

I know it may seem like it's trying too hard with Riot Grrrl attitude but I've really enjoyed Paper Girl so far. Reading it with my young daughter has helped open her up to other "weird" comics so for that I'm thankful.

online prowler

Quote from: tiny_tove on March 31, 2019, 10:10:50 PM
I am back in professionally working for the comics industry. Currently helping with documentation and cultural settings of a new science fiction series aimed at late teen early 20's named Odessa xurated bu Antonio Serra (Dylan dog, nathan never, etc). WE did work together on a few articles more than 20 years ago when I was writing Martin Mystere, Italian sci-fi comics.

https://www.sergiobonelli.it/news/2019/02/26/gallery/ecco-odessa-1004251/

This might open for me few possibilities to go back into writing, not full time, but enough to have fun.

I am currently preparing some scripts for a French artist I really love and fits more my ideas. Will share name if it goes through, but very excitied.

Happy to learn you are leaning back into the game. Please do keep us updated here.

Foss

Just started with book one of Crossed today, but not convinced at all. Will see, bought the two first books. On the other hand i was really stunned by Providence. Anyone know if the books are getting reissued? I borrowed the first book and managed to buy the second and third, but the first seems to be impossible to get without paying stupid prices.
Also reread the definitive From Hell, such a great book.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Foss on July 04, 2019, 12:22:31 AM
Just started with book one of Crossed today, but not convinced at all. Will see, bought the two first books. On the other hand i was really stunned by Providence. Anyone know if the books are getting reissued? I borrowed the first book and managed to buy the second and third, but the first seems to be impossible to get without paying stupid prices.
Also reread the definitive From Hell, such a great book.

first issue o crossed was bad, but it improves. still have to understand if i like alan moore's part, it was very badly translated
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Soloman Tump

I wasn't too taken by Crossed. Just seemed like carnage and rape for the sake of it.  Maybe I should have stuck with it but the story bored me after a while.

I enjoyed NAMELESS by Grant Morrison, pretty fucked up but just a 5 (6?) part short story and fairly grim with psychedelic visuals to go with it.