Comics and graphic novels

Started by tiny_tove, May 03, 2011, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

I'm just through the first 3 collected editions of CROSSED. Well...as already said before in this thread, Garth Ennis' first volume isn't the best - but then edition 2 'Family Values' and 3 'Psychopath' are really great. Looking forward to the next ones, nr.4 is Garth Ennis again...

tiny_tove

Totally agreed
first volume I said myself "wtf..." Ennis is one of my faves and he's been one of the reasons I started writing comics in the mid 90's.
But since the story evolved it became a total cult.
I like the fact they created a wide universe that could go on for years...

I must admit I was disappointed also by Ennis' latest volume regarding the patient Zero, while Alan Moore's contribution was amazing... the way they speak has been very badly translated into Italian...
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

vixszanka

Can anyone recommend some comics/graphic novels similar to Junji Ito? Twisted/existential/monochromatic/generally fucked/etc...

hsv

Hideshi Hino and Kazuo Umezu are classic horror manga. I read Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano a while back and enjoyed it very much, though it's less morbid and more space/time weirdness.

General suggestions of surreal and weird comics that might not be outright horror would be Charles Burns' "Black Hole", Chester Brown's "Ed the Happy Clown" (a bit goofy and non-sequitur but at the same time eerie and disturbing), Max's "The Extended Dream of Mr. D", Max Andersson's "Pixy" ("Bosnian Flat Dog" is good too), Lorenzo Mattotti's "Fires"... Tardi's WW1 comics, not surrealistic/existential in that sense but they are a very grim and haunting read.
You may also enjoy some Vertigo titles like "Shade the Changing Man", "Sandman" and Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing".

This is all off the top of my head, mostly well-known titles so apologies if you already know these.

online prowler

Black Hole.

Mandatory work by Burns.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Peterson on January 03, 2017, 06:03:15 PM
Quote from: hsv on January 03, 2017, 03:57:23 PM
Charles Burns' "Black Hole"

I forgot about that one! My ex made off with my copy, damn it. I need to re-purchase that.
serves you right for not searching her as she left

Mock

Howard Chaykin anyone?

He's definitely not what he used to be but American Flagg, Blackhawk and Twilight are all killers. Plus he's still pissing people off.

cr

AX Volume 1  A Collection of alternative manga

Have had this for years and browsed through it again today. Impression was the same as last time. Some really good, some not so and some bad. But overall quite enjoyable with a lot of really fucked stories and pictures.

cr

Related to the book mentioned in the What are you reading?-thread (The strange world of Wilie Seabrook), I also bought this one:

I think it's really good, liked it a lot. The drawing style is not exactly my favourite, but there was also nothing annoying about it.
So it's highly recommended to those who could have an interest in the life and works of William Seabrook.

online prowler

Quote from: david lloyd jones on January 26, 2017, 06:08:05 PM
Quote from: Peterson on January 03, 2017, 06:03:15 PM
Quote from: hsv on January 03, 2017, 03:57:23 PM
Charles Burns' "Black Hole"

I forgot about that one! My ex made off with my copy, damn it. I need to re-purchase that.
serves you right for not searching her as she left

I missed the anal cavity.

But seriously, anyone have obsessively detailed and proper narrated comics to recommend? Arty or photo realistic? Kent Williams and Dave Mckean did some fine work during the '90s. And let's not forget Thomas Ott's paranoid somber style. Previously mentioned Matt Coyle's Registery of death was a text book effort in obsessive fine detailed works. Check Bacon and Munch references in page shot below.

M. Coyle / ROD.

online prowler

Quote from: KMusselman on December 18, 2017, 12:12:30 AM
Quote from: online prowler on December 17, 2017, 05:24:49 PM
Dave Mckean did some fine work during the '90s.

most familiar with the CD covers.  a family member knows him (business/working relationship.)  me being a long time fan of Front Line Assembly, i gave a list of a few of my favorites.  he specifically picked out the Artificial Soldier one.  i now have a signed print.

really want to get a book of collected works.

Nice one. I suggest to do a swift web search and I'm positive you will find something. I recall there was a book of collected works being done by him. The book Mr. Punch is really good, so is Cages, Arkham Asylum and Violent Cases.

cr

Right now I'm starting to read "My friend Dahmer" - a graphic novel by Derf Backderf

I find it quite interesting that there seems to exist quite a lot graphic novels about serial killers. I only know and read "Green River Killer" and "Haarman", and now this one, but I'm sure there's some more!?

Soloman Tump

I am a swamp thing fan, I actually enjoyed the recent New52 run. But otherwise DC is dead to me now.

A few Image comics are good.
The Trees, Monstress, Injection, Wytches. All worth a read

tiny_tove

I am back in professionally working for the comics industry. Currently helping with documentation and cultural settings of a new science fiction series aimed at late teen early 20's named Odessa xurated bu Antonio Serra (Dylan dog, nathan never, etc). WE did work together on a few articles more than 20 years ago when I was writing Martin Mystere, Italian sci-fi comics.

https://www.sergiobonelli.it/news/2019/02/26/gallery/ecco-odessa-1004251/

This might open for me few possibilities to go back into writing, not full time, but enough to have fun.

I am currently preparing some scripts for a French artist I really love and fits more my ideas. Will share name if it goes through, but very excitied.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0